Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2020, 13:35   #1

Boat: O'Day 27
Sell or bust it up for parts

After a year of trying to sell my O'day 27 with only one inquiry and zero offers I am contemplating busting it up and selling the parts. Mind you this boat is completely restored with over $27,000 spent for everything new but the hull, deck with new core and engine. How have you approached the demise of sailing in the US when trying to dispose of a boat? Interesting position to be in.
Joefiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 14:15   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Sell or bust it up for parts

How much do you think the parts will bring? Price the boat at that. Then you don’t have to do all of the labor of taking it apart.

What are the other O’Day 27s selling for right now?You need to be at the bottom of the pricing.

Are you on sailboatlistings.com? eBay it?

Also, have you posted on here? What’s the listing look like? Let’s see your pictures and everything.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 14:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
How much do you think the parts will bring? Price the boat at that. Then you don’t have to do all of the labor of taking it apart.

What are the other O’Day 27s selling for right now?You need to be at the bottom of the pricing.

Are you on sailboatlistings.com? eBay it?

Also, have you posted on here? What’s the listing look like? Let’s see your pictures and everything.
I had it listed through a broker at 14,000 who had it listed on Yachtworld, SailboatListings and a variety of other for sale sites. I am reluctant to go with craigslist or other sites that bring out the dreamers, cretins and other forms of bottom dwellers. I also don't want to "own" it for the rest of my life when the inevitable litany of information requests come as is usually the case when selling a used item. Been there, done that, got annoyed. Then the creatures who want to scam you. Nigerian princes and so forth. Already sent my money to settle my rich uncle's estate. Haven't received the millions yet. (Kidding) It seems people will buy a POS and then gripe about how many repairs they have to do rather than a sailaway boat. The boat particulars are here: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...begins.123244/ The listing is here: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/o-day-27-3604724/ It comes down to aggravation vs junking it. I also don't want to stick it to the marina where it is stored.
Old 17-09-2020, 15:12   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

If you are in a high tax bracket you might consider donating it. I donated a car and was surprised by how big the write-off was. I've tried to part out things before and it never worked out money-wise.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 15:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
If you are in a high tax bracket you might consider donating it. I donated a car and was surprised by how big the write-off was. I've tried to part out things before and it never worked out money-wise.
I did inquire about donating it with no luck. Without a trailer it is a non starter. I'm not in a high income bracket but that is a moot point. As an aside the Atomic 4 is a freshwater engine that is in excellent condition which from what I have seen should fetch around 3,000 by itself also the 1,600 new rudder should fetch a few more bucks. The reanodized and powder coated mast, boom and spreaders along with all new rigging might be worth a few coins. The newish sails. Well you get the picture.
Old 17-09-2020, 15:26   #6

Boat: 54×14 Continental houseboat

Boy it's sad to hear that, I've always restored cars and I restored a few boats right now I'm thinking about restoring a trimaran that I found, I find it to be a select market like restoring an old car you never get back out which put into one,, but geez I understand what you're saying you got 27,000 into it and you can't sell it you just feel like busting it up you know, it just doesn't seem like it's fair, but we all know restore projects is a labor of love not a labor of profit, and right now with this covered thing going on it's harder and hell to get rid of a pleasure item you know
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 15:28   #7

Boat: Sabre 34II

I saw the listing, appears in amazing condition with all the work you had done. I am amazed by the lack of offers especially in these times. Is there a way your broker can widen the net, talk to his buddies/other brokers outside of your area? Maybe you can help with delivery if required.

Selling individual parts may be a PITA, I would try to sell her whole.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 15:32   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I have sold 3 boats through Craigslist though also listed on sailboatlistings and Latitude 38, the buyers came through Craigslist. Yachtworld is a difficult place to sell boats less than $50k as the brokers are not overly motivated due to low commission and the audience is normally looking at a bit higher end of the price scale.

My craigslist experience for selling has gone quite well. The boats were well photographed with very honest descriptions/inventories, priced about 10% above my bottom line price and stated no offers until the boat is viewed. I did get a few strange emails that I ignored, but all 3 boats sold within 2 weeks to the first folks who viewed them (one for full asking!)

I'd give it a shot. The more descriptive you can be the better and write it for an audience of sailors, try to discourage the live-a-board crowd.
Old 17-09-2020, 15:42   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It’s the broker.

Brokers can’t be bothered to answer calls for $80,000 boats these days, never mind this boat.

I would suggest you fire the broker, put a brand new listing on sailboatlistings.com, pay to have it “featured “ and work through the inquiries. Listing locally on Craigslist helps too.

My bet is you’ll be amazed how quickly it sells. If you had done that in the spring, it would be gone. Price her aggressively.

It may be difficult selling going into winter but if you deduct the money you are spending on winter storage from the price, showing that in the ad, you might still have a good shot at having her gone in the fall.

As for scammers, here’s all you need to know:

“What is your bottom price” is a scam email
“I’ll send you money for the shipping of the boat plus the boat asking price buying unseen” is a scam.
Anyone sending you a check to clear later after they take possession is a scam.

Follow the brokers purchase and sale agreement contract to a T.

It’s actually much less stressful to sell it yourself. You’ll be amazed how many buyers your broker didn’t respond to.

If you’re worried about tire kickers, have them look at it themselves, unsupervised (you’re cutting this boat up so why not?). Or have them pay a price of admission. LOL. I’ve done it. Have it on a mooring so they have to pay a launch to take them out.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 15:42   #10

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefiss View Post
I did inquire about donating it with no luck. Without a trailer it is a non starter. I'm not in a high income bracket but that is a moot point. As an aside the Atomic 4 is a freshwater engine that is in excellent condition which from what I have seen should fetch around 3,000 by itself also the 1,600 new rudder should fetch a few more bucks. The reanodized and powder coated mast, boom and spreaders along with all new rigging might be worth a few coins. The newish sails. Well you get the picture.
I get the picture, I've had similar thoughts before. But the reality is that it is easier to find a buyer willing to pay top $ for a boat than top $ for used rigging. IF you happen to find someone looking for a rig for an ODay 27 then you might make a good sale there, but reaching that person is harder than reaching a person looking for a good boat. The engine you can probably turn OK. The rudder will be purely hit or miss luck if you connect with someone who actually needs it. It is unlikely anyone will pay $$$ for a rudder just because they may need it down the road. Things that are specialized will only bring good money if you find someone who NEEDS them. The Atomic fits a lot of boats. The newish sails will only fetch the "newish price" from another ODay owner - the guy looking to put them on something they kinda fit will be looking for a deal.

I'd try a bit harder/longer on the boat. You can't really turn back if you start parting it out.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 15:51   #11

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Maybe your listing your boat to try to recoup some of your investment in the boat rather than market value of the boat itself. It seems the majority of listings for an O'Day 27 are in the $9K range.

First time buyers don't care that you have a new rudder, or mast compared to another O'Day 27 at almost half the price that has a stock rudder and mast. At the end of the day you are comparing your 1976 O'Day 27 either to other boats in that price range you are listed for, or to other 26 to 28 foot boats in your area.

The problem with parting it out is assuming that someone is in the market for a used Atomic 4, or mast, etc. It might take even longer to sell the parts than to sell the boat at market value. (Market value on a boat is rarely improved by necessary maintenance or owner desired upgrades.)

Sea Scouts in PNW were always looking for donated boats. Sea Scouts have a donation form on their national site. http://seascout.org/about/contact-us/

Also, IMHO..."sail away" boats are as rare as unicorns! I personally have seen neither.
Old 17-09-2020, 16:13   #12

Yup, I understand totally.
If the bust her up numbers works I would be hard tempted not to. I just dealt with selling a friends boat and was looking at the option of busting up a tayana 42. She sold at the number that was about to turn things the bust up direction.
I dare say if i ever have to part with my boat I would prefer to take her offshore and scuttle her.....I would honestly feel better about that than one of the bottom dwellers you mentioned getting her (and my god are they prevalent!).
Best of luck!
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 16:27   #13

Some interesting ideas here. Since I have stored it for the winter at this point it might be worth giving it until spring. I am still somewhat reluctant as my experience with selling used stuff has run the gamut from did you know and you should pay to fix this or that despite selling as is. Then there is the, well this is all wrong, and, I can buy this one for, group. I will consider these suggestions just the same. I'm not so much interested in the money as I am in not having to deal with people. That is the number one reason I am considering busting it up. Even if I sell the metals for scrap I walk away with something. 2200 pounds of lead. 400 pounds of cast iron. 300 pounds aluminum and a few hundred pounds in stainless.
Old 17-09-2020, 17:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefiss View Post
Some interesting ideas here. Since I have stored it for the winter at this point it might be worth giving it until spring. I am still somewhat reluctant as my experience with selling used stuff has run the gamut from did you know and you should pay to fix this or that despite selling as is. Then there is the, well this is all wrong, and, I can buy this one for, group. I will consider these suggestions just the same. I'm not so much interested in the money as I am in not having to deal with people. That is the number one reason I am considering busting it up. Even if I sell the metals for scrap I walk away with something. 2200 pounds of lead. 400 pounds of cast iron. 300 pounds aluminum and a few hundred pounds in stainless.
Joe,

I think it might break your heart to cut up and scrap a boat you've put so much work into!

You might try a bit of the old fashioned way. Put a "For Sale" sign while she's on the hard - and let the Yard Manager know that she's for sale (maybe even let him have a look at her before the cover goes on).

Word may get around.

Fingers crossed!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 17:37   #15

Boat: 54×14 Continental houseboat

How much you want for it I need something to learn on
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts