Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2012, 15:41   #61
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Self Promotion (Changing Values?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
In some ways I agree. I see evidence of this attitude every day in the disgusting and often bizarre attention seeking of our "celebrities."

The more outrageous their behavior, the more money they make. But at what cost?

It can't always be about the money, can it?

It just seems a tad sociopathic to me.

There's a huge difference between humility and disgusting and bizarre attention-seeking behavior. Humility is over-raded, and bizarre attention-seeking behavior is to be pitied (IMO).

But if you've written a book, you have to be willing to promote it. I see no difference between that and a blog.

But I am firmly, both feet, in the capitalist camp.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 15:45   #62

I am no fan of reality TV, actually any TV but I find blogs quite different. I appreciate blogs because they are individual expressions/ experiences/ adventures/ thoughts, not mass-marketed homogenized sales hype like most mainstream media. I think there is a real diversity in talent and perspective and I vote with my mouse my own interests. I like to think that most blogs start out genuinely wanting to share something with others - family and friends usually, and end up inspiring strangers who might even become friends.

The time and effort that many folks put into their blogs is worth something I think, at least a little respect, maybe some gratitude or appreciation for their efforts if you're a fan. I think it takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there everyday in any artistic endeavor and writing certainly qualifies in my opinion. I have no problem contributing financially, as I'm able, to someone who has a dream that captures my imagination or entertains me with their adventures/ misadventures or challenges me in some way to be a better human or educates me on an important issue. I love that people can support themselves in non-conventional ways doing what they love and believe in and what they're good at and I honestly wish we could all do that.

I don't begrudge anyone following their dream and I don't expect them to be perfect or accomplished before they are "qualified" to record their experiences in the public domain. Sharing ideas, thoughts, dreams, plans, lessons learned, mistakes made, and courses re-plotted can be just as useful as sharing an accomplishment, sometimes more so. Doing it with a sense of humor, humility, honesty and integrity and on your own terms with your own unique voice makes it all the more awesome. Of course not every blog nor every blogger is a keeper...

I think we all have to self-promote from time to time, usually to make a living - interviewing for any job requires self promotion, working as a contractor, selling hand-made crafts at a farmers market or an idea for a new product or a movie script... so I'm not sure that the blogger-trying-to-make-a-living is a "changing value" as much as it is a new/evolving medium or method.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 16:02   #63

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpainzmcspice View Post
Oh, man! Your original post forced me to pause momentarily and look at my own situation. Do I come across as a panhandler? I probably do in some respects....

I've been working on my circumnavigation for three years - (I'm leaving in a month singlehanding via the COGH and the Horn writing an adventure novel with a philosophical slant). I started alone... saving money at crappy jobs until I found the right boat (rather, it found me). Once I purchased the boat people took me more seriously. The harder I worked the more people crawled out of the woodwork to lend a hand. If it weren't for those people I wouldn't be where I am now.

I've never asked for a dime from anyone for this journey until a few days ago. As one of my sailing heroes told me, "the start of a voyage is very hard in terms of cash raising - Once you're on your way, I think things will be easier." So with that in mind I started a Kickstarter page to raise the last $8000 I'll need if I expect to shove-off safely before the weather windows close.

I've never promoted myself in my life. I'm not a salesman. It's awkward and sort of shameful. But I keep telling myself the result of peoples' generous donations will help create something beautiful.... and I'm giving away unique gifts to donors.

Bleh. I don't know where I'm going with this. Maybe we all are just shamelessly promoting ourselves. But there aren't a lot of other places besides cruisersforum where sailors can sit around admiring our peers accomplishments. In which case, here's a link to my kickstarter!! :0)

Sailing Alone Around the World and Writing About It
My original point had to do with a lack of honest self representation in some sailing blogs. I guess I did slam panhandlers too.

I've read some of your blog and from what I see you've been completely honest about your intentions.

Here's my take on it: You worked hard for a few years in order to acquire and partially refit your boat. It needs another $8000.00 to finish the refit and since you want to go now, instead of working and waiting you are now actively "asking" people to give you money so that you can sail around the world. In return you are offering to write a book about your trip.

How should one interpret this?
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 16:19   #64

Boat: Bystedt, 30

You pretty much summed it up! It does feel a little strange asking for money from family/strangers, though.

But you're right, there is a line between honest intentions and purely bilking people and using them for personal gain.

Thanks for reading my blog, by the way!!
Catpainzmcspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 17:00   #65
cruiser

Quote:
My original point had to do with a lack of honest self representation in some sailing blogs. I guess I did slam panhandlers too.

I've read some of your blog and from what I see you've been completely honest about your intentions.

Here's my take on it: You worked hard for a few years in order to acquire and partially refit your boat. It needs another $8000.00 to finish the refit and since you want to go now, instead of working and waiting you are now actively "asking" people to give you money so that you can sail around the world. In return you are offering to write a book about your trip.

How should one interpret this?

That is YOUR interpretation. It is possible to put a negative, nasty spin on anything.
Old 20-05-2012, 17:11   #66

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
That is YOUR interpretation. It is possible to put a negative, nasty spin on anything.
Hold on. I didn't read it as nasty or negative - just a fair synopsis of your plan. You don't want to wait - you want to go now, and you believe you can provide value to people who might support you, by writing a book - and if you convince enough people, then off you go and how cool is that?
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 17:23   #67

Quote:
I loved your memoriam to yourself, clever idea. Funny, creative blog, thanks for the link.

LOOK at ME ME ME ME.... I am clever, funny and creative! AND humble, it goes without saying. Oh wait, I just said it. But seriously, I have the BEST sense of humility of anyone I know.

Thanks Mr. Curmudgeon.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 20-05-2012, 17:24   #68

"Hold on. I didn't read it as nasty or negative - just a fair synopsis of your plan."

Not Rakuflames' plan.... my plan :0)

I thought Virginia Boy was dean-on in his synopsis of my blog. And quite kind, as well.

I love the Kickstarter platform. Truly, without it (knock on wood...) it'll be another 12 months before I shove-off.

It's super freaking cool!! :0)
Old 20-05-2012, 17:27   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I would rather flash than blog, for free.

b.
I think I can speak for the majority: we would prefer that you blog instead of flash.
Old 20-05-2012, 17:35   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Nothing wrong with chasing after benefactors. The internet just seems to make it easier.

For real money you gotta go face to face - think Columbus, Crowhurst, Jessica whatatever her name is, Volvo racers etc...

It seems there have always been been people out there willing to fund the right adventures.

I lean towards buying the book about the interesting adventure completed as opposed to the journey yet fulfilled...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 17:41   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Nothing wrong with chasing after benefactors. The internet just seems to make it easier.

For real money you gotta go face to face - think Columbus, Crowhurst, Jessica whatatever her name is, Volvo racers etc...

It seems there have always been been people out there willing to fund the right adventures.

I lean towards buying the book about the interesting adventure completed as opposed to the journey yet fulfilled...
This is very true. That's one of the nice things about living in Seattle (specifically the Ballard neighborhood). The people in this town love boats and we value ambition. Most of my days and evenings are spent chatting with people at bars, restaurants and fraternal organizations, handing out cards and talking shop.

The internet offers the technology to accumulate donations, but the leg work is done 80% in the real world.

Also.... Crowhurst? hehe. I hope nobody ever compares me to that dude! I think of myself as more of a Moitessier :0)
Old 20-05-2012, 17:43   #72
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
Hold on. I didn't read it as nasty or negative - just a fair synopsis of your plan. You don't want to wait - you want to go now, and you believe you can provide value to people who might support you, by writing a book - and if you convince enough people, then off you go and how cool is that?

Um... not me. I didn't write a synopsis of any plan. But is there something wrong with writing a book? I have written one in the past and would hate to burn in Hell for all eternity because of that ...
Old 20-05-2012, 17:45   #73
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
I think I can speak for the majority: we would prefer that you blog instead of flash.

Now wait a minute! Shouldn't we all get to judge for ourselve?
Old 20-05-2012, 17:54   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpainzmcspice

This is very true. That's one of the nice things about living in Seattle (specifically the Ballard neighborhood). The people in this town love boats and we value ambition. Most of my days and evenings are spent chatting with people at bars, restaurants and fraternal organizations, handing out cards and talking shop.

The internet offers the technology to accumulate donations, but the leg work is done 80% in the real world.

Also.... Crowhurst? hehe. I hope nobody ever compares me to that dude! I think of myself as more of a Moitessier :0)
He, he. I snuck crowhurst in on purpose. Not all adventures one funds will turn out according to plan and there are no shortage of PayPal buttons to click the days.

Or as PT Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 19:20   #75

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Sailing gets:
About 197,000,000 results (0.31 seconds)

Circumnavigation gets:
About 1,830,000 results (0.15 seconds)

Cruisers and sailing forum gets:
About 4,850,000 results (0.31 seconds) (pretty respectable number!)
Heck, "Hits" gets

11,100,000 results

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote