Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 19:28   #91

Re: Self Promotion (Changing Values?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
1) Yes.

2) Yes.

Really, neither having a well designed, well run site nor having a boat with comforts imply lack of simplicity. Apparently, it is more related to how we utilize our skills and means or lack of such. Clearly, there are many ways to live our lives. Who is to judge which way is good and why?

;-)
b.
We differ I guess.

To me, marketing ones self in a certain way means there ought to be some substance behind the claim. If not, what's the point of anything anymore? I mean hey, I'm now going to call myself an astronaut - who is anyone to judge me on that, even though I am not one?

A simple boat is not a typical modern blue water appointed cruising boat. A simple boat is.. well, simple. We can debate the nuance of what makes a simple boat, but I would submit on a surface level and jumping off point, that a simple boat doesn't have chart plotters, watermakers and so many of the cruising comforts that complicate vessels.

Simple is defined as:

Quote:
simple |ˈsimpəl|
adjective ( -pler , -plest )
1 easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty : a simple solution | camcorders are now so simple to operate.
plain, basic, or uncomplicated in form, nature, or design; without much decoration or ornamentation : a simple white blouse | the house is furnished in a simple country style.
You know, simple.

Also, a simple life and simple living does not include rabidly marketing ones "brand" while at the same time maintaining a super hectic schedule and lifestyle. The very nature of living to achieve that end negates the entire concept.

Unless of course, we are to look at everything with the ultimate tolerant eye, ie; if you say your living simple than who am I to judge...

I can't do that, and don't understand those who do frankly.
ChrisnCate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 19:33   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
ChrisnCate, Great point! Also, thank you for sharing your experience and perspective. I was interested in reaching out to them in the future. Now. Not so much. If you're anywhere near New York, and you wanna raft up and share some drinks, send me an email or find me through my sig.
Nice, thanks!

Quote:
Catpain, no one is calling anyone a horrible person. This thread, which began as a fun pre-coffee rant, with underpinnings of legitimate observation and critic of the evolving societal norms as influenced by emerging technology and new media, has been filtered down into a discussion on genuinity.
Well put.

Captain- I don't think she is a horrible person, I just think she's full of crap the way she markets herself. I'd bet she's a decent person underneath all that glossy veneer, I'm sure she'd swerve to avoid running over a squirrel like most of us would.
Old 22-05-2012, 19:45   #93

I would like to do some self promotion, but unfortunately due to the official secrets act my previous exploits cannot be made public until 2075....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 19:57   #94
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnCate View Post
We differ I guess.

To me, marketing ones self in a certain way means there ought to be some substance behind the claim. If not, what's the point of anything anymore? I mean hey, I'm now going to call myself an astronaut - who is anyone to judge me on that, even though I am not one?

A simple boat is not a typical modern blue water appointed cruising boat. A simple boat is.. well, simple. We can debate the nuance of what makes a simple boat, but I would submit on a surface level and jumping off point, that a simple boat doesn't have chart plotters, watermakers and so many of the cruising comforts that complicate vessels.

Simple is defined as:

You know, simple.

Also, a simple life and simple living does not include rabidly marketing ones "brand" while at the same time maintaining a super hectic schedule and lifestyle. The very nature of living to achieve that end negates the entire concept.

Unless of course, we are to look at everything with the ultimate tolerant eye, ie; if you say your living simple than who am I to judge...

To my mind I live a "simple life" on my boat. I don't have a refrigerator and use ice to keep perishables cold, for instance. Others would not call it "simple" because I'm not anchored out.

But the appearance of my web site, if I had one, would have nothing to do with whether or not my boat has all the most modern amenities. Marketing style has nothing to do with lifestyle. it would be chuckle-headed to use 19th century promotion. What would I do -- go around town pasting posters to walls???

I don't know whether this person leads a "simple" life or not. I am a single woman living on a sailboat, and many people find that quite remarkable. I got a lot of positive comments about being bold and brave for single-handing a short weekend trip. Well, next trip (three day) there will be both a male and a female friend. Sometimes we sail alone; sometimes we have companions. Does that mean I am no longer bold? I don't think so, myself, but i bad a website how easy it would be to judge me.

Well, if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I'm writing a novel that includes sailing, and no doubt I will use a blog to help support it. I expect a few people here will rip me one for that, but the saying tht there's no such thing as bad publicity has some truth to it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:34   #95

Raku, No ones saying promoting a blog or book or anything is bad - I'm simply voicing an opinion about what I perceive as hyped over promotion and misrepresentation.

If you want to have the attitude that you cannot judge anything based on the input you receive, I can live with that and wouldn't suggest otherwise for you. We all have to draw our own conclusions based on thresholds we are comfortable with. I happen to be comfortable taking information provided and taking a firm opinion.

I am open to having my mind changed, I am not set in stone. If I am missing something here regarding the blog in question, or if I am wrong somehow in my assessment, I'm listening, lay it on me..

About the only thing I am not open to is taking an attitude that if someone puts themselves out there, I cannot form an opinion or judge them. I refuse to get so PC that everyone gets a free pass 'cause we can't have an opinion that may make others uncomfortable.
Old 22-05-2012, 20:44   #96

I would like to add that I mean everything I wrote in good humor and jest - I think it's a good topic and I'm just giving one guys opinion, mine. It's all good
Old 22-05-2012, 21:32   #97

Boat: too many

Catpainzmcspice, took a look at your blog. Unique approach for funding an adventure that is a bit out of your current financial capabilities. I'm doing it the old fashion way, years of work and saving for retirement cruising. I just wonder if the Internet as it is today, was available to me in the late 60's after reading Robin Graham book "Dove", as it lit my fire for solo cruising, would I have attempted funding in this fashion? I can't really say, so good luck and I'll follow your blog.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 22:18   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hate to say it but most people aren't that interesting. Their blogs are primarily for keeping family apprised and if they get casual observers, they are thrilled.

Also most people are crap writers, making their uninteresting lives appear even more dull.

There are great blogs out there, but not many.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 22:41   #99

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
Hate to say it but most people aren't that interesting. Their blogs are primarily for keeping family apprised and if they get casual observers, they are thrilled.

Also most people are crap writers, making their uninteresting lives appear even more dull.

This is our blog in a nutshell. There are no donate links or ads, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone theirs. It wasn't written to be interesting to anyone other than those who are already interested in us, and we are thrilled when people mention that they liked a post.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 05:50   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

Amen.

I use my blog primarily as a place to record what's in my head or to write about what's going on with the boat. Family and friends can read it, but I don't want to lose the informal aspect and have too much expectation around it like it's supposed to be some masterpiece of composition. I wrote a post on oil filters (as in which brands are better) because I took the time to do a bunch of research and figure that some dude out there might be stoked to run across a theory if he's google'ing around.

"Real" writing, where you're doing a lot of rewrites and going through somewhat formal editing and review, is almost incongruent with blog writing where the focus is generally around recency. Taking two weeks to email all your blog posts out to talented friends who want to edit, getting their feedback, and rewriting, isn't part of the blog process although it's a part of "good" writing in general.

There are folks on the Internet selling all kinds of ******** that doesn't work, so it makes sense that someone is going to put up a website showing themselves off as a modern day Shackleton. Social media (like this forum) does a lot to weed out that crap though. Make a thread about which blogs people follow for whatever criteria and within a few posts you'll get a well distilled list of candidates.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 06:03   #101

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisnCate View Post

We differ I guess.

(...)

Simple is defined as:
You know, simple.

(...)

Then I cannot see how we (me, you, and the unfortunate blogger) differ! I will try to clarify my point:

This is my take:

We may have different definitions (I assume we all agree definitions may differ), still - we both use definitions !, as do all humans.

We might get pissed off by different things (I assume we all are free to follow different set of values), still - we all get pissed off!, as do all humans.

So, I think we are more similar than different. Creators of fiction sailing blogs - they are chasing something, as we all do.

Societies are organized around claiming some values while apparently chasing quite a different set. Now the unfortunate bloggers 'get caught' but the reader never gets caught. But believe me, the reader has their own little hypocrisies, each one of us.

I truly see more similarities than differences.

Hugs,
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 06:19   #102

Boat: a sailing boat

BTW

I have noticed how recently it became a sign of our times ;-) to see EXTREME ADVENTURE bloggers claiming NOT DOING something is such a great achievement - trying to capitalize on things like getting stuck, high and dry, break the rig, capsize, and get the whole Navy engaged in the SAR?

Like a big and NOISY failure is (marketing-wise) better than a modest success...

After all she became the youngest person to capsize solo in the Southern Ocean ;-) Oops ;-)

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 08:41   #103

Boat: In between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpainzmcspice View Post
I think of myself as more of a Moitessier :0)
A sailor’s joys are as simple as a child’s. - Bernard Moitessier

Catpain, I checked out your kickstarter page and blog. They are both flashy and professionally made. I am curious, and you don't need to answer if you're not comfortable doing so, but why the $8K to go? Your boat looks good and you've done a great job restoring her and prepping for your voyage.

The context for my inquiry and concern is this; I acquired my Pearson 300 after she sank for $100.00. I rebuilt the engine, sails, most of the electrical and water system for about $3K, not including dockage. All I have left to do is change some zincs, re-start the water heater, and throw on a couple coats of top and bottom pain and she's ready to live-aboard and extended cruising. Additionally, I am also working on my own book (the first of three actually) that I hop to self-publish by the end of the year, with the remaining two will follow my own round the world sailing adventure over the next decade or so.

My concern stems from the fact that you, unlike me, are obligating yourself with promises and expectations to your contributors. In doing so, do you not feel the adventure you are about to make is being tainted by the stress and pressure to meet the promises you are making to these people? Since they are not making donations, but are entering into a contact with you. It may take more time to do it yourself, but at least this way, no one owns you.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors, but as a fellow sailor and adventure seeker, I hope your are doing this trip for yourself first and foremost.

Cheers and Happy Sailing!!!
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 09:12   #104

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

A note on "kickstarter":

If you search "sailing on kickstarter, you will find several failed attempts at funding for sailing/book adventures. Not so many successes. Kickstarter states what is and is not acceptable for their service quite clearly ie. no funding for "lifestyle". This site is for "projects" not open ended ventures. There are several crowd funding sites to raise capital for businesses, etc.
A look at the successful kickstarters seems to indicate that one must approach this process carefully with thorough due diligence. Having looked at the prev. posters page, I might advise him to rethink his "pitch". I would love to receive $8000 to oufit a boat for circum. which might, someday, result in a book that someone might want to read but I think it unlikely that folks will want to fund this type of project. Good luck anyway. Most successful publication kickstarters are for books/projects that are finished or nearly so.
Still, I would never begrudge anyone for successfully raising $$$ on such sites.
Self promotion is what capitalism is all about...think Col. Sanders.
I think this type of fundraising has GREAT potential and the winds of reason will likely dictate who is successful at raising funds for projects.

I would like to repower the Vega with an inboard diesel (so I can cruise with a reliable engine and write about my adventures.) So, if you will CF folks will start a fund for this I would appreciate it... need about $8000

cheers,

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 09:44   #105

Boat: too many

I might write something for my fellow baby boomers, just trying to nudge them out of the visiting the children and grand children and instead have them spend some time with the parents on the boat some where. Also, a book catering to the boomers is aiming at the largest potential audience. Of course, some kind of new record would help sales, like "Most solo circumnavigations by an old fart over 65". If going after a record such as that, does make me want to reconsider the type of boat, instead of a comfy cat, would need something serious for passage making, like a Sundeer 64, right Nick (S/V Jedi)?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote