Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2008, 16:58   #1

Seeking assistance in plannig mid Chesapeake Bay sailing charter

I am a new member. My family (wife, our daughter, her husband and their two sons (20 & 21)) are planning a bare boat charter for a 3 or 4 day sailing excursion on mid Chesapeake in Aug. We are looking for a 40ish sailboat sleeping 6. I'm a graduate of the Naval Academy where I was on the sailing team and did Bay and ocean sailing, including a race from New London to Hampton Roads. We have owned sail boats in Coronado Calif and Dinner Key FL and have chartered in in the BWI. So far we are looking at Annapolis Bay Charters at Annapolis which is convenient since we will be coming from DC area. Since my Bay experience and knowledge is dated to say the least I would appreciate current info and recommendations on available charters, destinations, anchorages, restaurants (with dockage ?) etc. All suggestions will be sincerely appreciated. seafrog at ctfroscher@comcast.net
seafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 18:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Since my Bay experience and knowledge is dated to say the least I would appreciate current info and recommendations on available charters, destinations, anchorages, restaurants (with dockage ?) etc.
August isn't the best time of year but you don't have to worry about being cold. The wind can be a bit wanting in August though last year was not really that bad. All the charters are northern bay. There are enough decent places to go so at least you can motor around and have a fun time. Given the distance is about 250 nautical miles north to south you won't run out of room or places to go. We live down on the fat end of the bay and it's pretty much plenty of room to anchor at all the the good places even 4th of July. You just have to get this far south.

Charters should be wide open and Annapolis is probably a good place though the north end has a lot of charter operations too. A good resource would the Chesapeake Bay Magazine web site. The have a full listing of a lot of the resources you might want. The Chesapeake Bay Cruising Guide would be a worthwhile investment since if you sail by the wind you get you can catch as catch can and have the best information no matter where you end up. For August I would suggest you take that approach. There are far more places you could go than you can go. If you want to sail then be flexible!

So what is it you like to do and things you expect to find?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 09:30   #3

Thanks

Thanks for your response. Having lived on the West River (Shadyside) for 7 years (a long time ago) I agree that Aug is not the best month but my crew is coming from England and that was the only time they could come. So be it. No matter what we will enjoy being on the water. Maybe we will be lucky and whistle up a breeze. First and foremost sail is what we want to do but also high on the list is a good restaurant each nite in an interesting boating community and poking around interesting bays and rivers getting there. Your response is reassuring in that there are many places available. Now I have to identify specific places with help from the people who know them well.
seafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 12:13   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, seafrog. Welcome to the Forum.

I used to charter out of Annapolis/Eastport fairly frequently, but it was a number of years ago, so I'm not up on the latest status in the charter business there. I do remember chartering once or twice with Annapolis Bay Charters--they were a good company.

The classic route for a three to four day charter is Annapolis to St. Michaels, on the Eastern Shore, and then around to Oxford. Both are quaint little towns with excellent restaurants and shops. St. Michaels has a notable maritime museum. Of course, as a Naval Academy grad, you'd naturally want to spend at least one evening pub crawling in Annapolis!

Make sure the boat you charter has plenty of 12 volt fans!
Old 22-03-2008, 15:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The classic route for a three to four day charter is Annapolis to St. Michaels
St Michaels on the weekend in the summer is up to $4 / ft. Better to go through Knapps Narrows and anchor in San Domingo Creek and dingy in the back door. Makes Oxford an easy day the following day.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 16:48   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
St Michaels on the weekend in the summer is up to $4 / ft. Better to go through Knapps Narrows and anchor in San Domingo Creek and dingy in the back door. Makes Oxford an easy day the following day.
I always anchored in the harbor, but that's a good option!

p.s. if anchoring in St. Michaels harbor, don't go in too far, where there are no boats anchored. There are no boats there for a reason--it's shallow! 'Nuf said!

Tags
chesapeake bay