Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 09:47   #16

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446
Re: Security Issues - Numbers don't add up

The CSSN communicates in English only. The majority of crews sailing the waters near Venezuela at this time, are not English speaking, and do not even know of the CSSN.

Simply check the homicide rates. They are very simply at this time the worst in the world, and many homicides are not even reported. You can bet other crime rates will not be out of line with the homicides.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:33   #17

Boat: custom, steel, 34 ft

To my opinion and knowledge it is the 'independent' ex Dutch part of St Martin that features the crime - not the French.
Otherwise St Lucia's waterfront has a reputation of long standing for theft and mugging - although not the interior which is very friendly and safe.
I got no clue about the others except that Isla Marguerita is relatively safe, compared with the mainland Venezuela...
k. michael marquardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:47   #18

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
11q
you donot like my disabled hand typoing, i say T F B and continue on.
this planet is FULL ofdisrespectful judgementalist. include self in the ever growing number.
inflexibility and labelling show how smart you are so ignore my info and SAIL VENE. you deserve it. enjoy.
No, I did not know about your disabled hand. But I trust you don't also have a lopsided eye ... if not, please read my posting again and you will notice the words "Zeehag, with respect; .... ". But no worries, I will do the B T F thing and SAIL VENE - whatever that means.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Have you though about the base numbers?

Perhaps one place was visited by 10 boats while the other by 10000?

Then you get something like this:

Place A 25 reports = 25/10 = 2.5 crime per visiting boat.
Place B 25 reports = 25/10000 = .0025 crime per visiting boat.

Another question is the reporting standards of local authorities (where such exist). and then there are other likely reasons. St Martin French has EU reporting standards. Venezuela has no standards.

Etc.

25 =NOT 25.

Cheers,
b.
Hello B
That is what I concluded after reading some of the other messages. Thank you.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgt3227 View Post
wow... can't believe you dissed Zeehag! What were you thinking?

BTW... "... parts of your message is ..." is grammatically incorrect
Sorry ... English is my third language.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:55   #21

Boat: Pearson 36 cutter

Really? You dissed Zeehag? You don't spend much time on this forum, eh? Listen and learn, before judging, please.
BHI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:20   #22

Boat: Catalina 30

Do NOT EVER diss Zeehag!! Why, that's about as crazy as cruising to Venezuela ....

Venezuelans have been nuts down there for 60 years. Back in the 1960's my grandfathers' boat came close to being "appropriated" by the Venezuelan "navy" as he was heading from the Panama canal.... it was only the intervention of a Dutch Guyana coast guard boat that saved his life. Long story... so as far as I am concerned, 'dem Venezuelans be bad ..
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:36   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I did a story for an Asian yachting magazine many years ago when "piracy" in the Strait of Malacca was considered a big deal. I found that incidents of "piracy" were getting lumped in with theft at anchor or in a marina. That's not piracy. In addition, reading through many of the reports of "attempted piracy" (at sea) was an eye opener. More often than not, the narrative involved a small sailboat outrunning a fast skiff, leading to the conclusion that many of the pirates were simply fishermen, otherwise there's no way a sailboat was going to outrun a bunch of determined pirates.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:47   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

Ah, the Straits of Malacca... been there. Sailed there... Pirates! Yes! We were chased for about 4 hours... but these guys didn't have anything like what you would expect. They were in a small skiff with an obviously underpowered outboard that couldn't beat our 12 kts. and never got close.. Not much of a pirate, I'd say! Probably a fisherman who wanted to be a pirate... and ran out of gas.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:51   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dissing otherscis rude.
i present items sent by someone residing on isla nergarita. yes it IS as bad as rest of waterless, electricless, foodless, internetless mainland venezuela.
people who disbelive-- GO. SAIL GENE.VANCHOR, see how long before you find trouble.
the oas just abandoned venezuela, so , as maduro is seeking a bloodbath, feel free to go to vene. enjoy. have fun. report back when your boat is confiscated after having been robbed of all items on board. oh but you wont have a puter or fone with which to whine to us. oh well.
read
Dolar Today.
yes is spanish, but it has the freshest news stories.
the only fresher items are those which my friend posts to friends for sharing.
the venezuelan people are seriously and terminally screwed.

happy sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 18:38   #26

Bought my boat in Venezuela and sailed it out of there. No problems, just play it smart. The only flags I have seen down there were Brits or Canadian, guess the propaganda from the US scares the crap out of yanks. Most Americans are also afraid to sail to Cuba! I will return there for sure. Hasta la vista! From a crazy Canuck!
lookinggoodrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 19:15   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinggoodrock View Post
Bought my boat in Venezuela and sailed it out of there. No problems, just play it smart. The only flags I have seen down there were Brits or Canadian, guess the propaganda from the US scares the crap out of yanks. Most Americans are also afraid to sail to Cuba! I will return there for sure. Hasta la vista! From a crazy Canuck!
Last month?
Old 03-06-2016, 19:24   #28

Quote:
you think the news i receive coming out of isla margarita is usa sensationalism???
you need to return now to venezuela, now that the organization of american states has ruled against venezuelan hardships and isnot advocating removal of the bus driver running the nation into the ground and beyond.
i have consulted no usa news. i am receiving news right out the horses mouth. residents of venezuela, along with the news in spanish via dolar today, is the origin of my information.
have fun on your venezuelan holiday.
oh did you know the venezuelan borders were closed last october and visas no longer being granted to citizens of usa, as of may 2016.
enjoy your trip. mebbe you can witness the pending bloodbath in person. was promised by maduro.
Old 03-06-2016, 19:54   #29

Keep reading propaganda and stop living. Tell us when to unplug your life support! I didn't want to scare you! Best stay away from Honduras, Nicaragua, and most of the rest of Central America! Oh yea, don't forget Haiti, Jamaica, Nassau Bahamas, etc.etc. Don't want to be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time in either place. Thank god us Canadians are still welcomed around the world.
lookinggoodrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 19:58   #30

Quote:
Keep reading propaganda and stop living. Tell us when to unplug your life support! I didn't want to scare you! Best stay away from Honduras, Nicaragua, and most of the rest of Central America! Oh yea, don't forget Haiti, Jamaica, Nassau Bahamas, etc.etc. Don't want to be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time in either place. Thank god us Canadians are still welcomed around the world.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go sail to venezuela. NOW.

Tags
security