Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2019, 00:37   #1

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Securing Halyards

We all know how annoying it is when there is a halyard slapping against a mast in a marina or yard (or even in an anchorage) but I hope these 2 photos will make it very obvious why it is vital to secure your halyards properly when you leave you boat for any length of time.

Mast Damage 01

Mast Damage 02

Think it very clear the damage that has been done by shackles hitting the mast repeatedly over a prolonged period of time.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 01:23   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Securing Halyards

Karma is real
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 01:48   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Any decent marina should have rules against slapping halyards. It's completely unnecessary.

If any boats around me have halyards slapping, I politely ask the owners to sort it out. If they aren't there then I sort it for them.

I have seen some people just sitting there on their boat, reading with a couple of their halyards slapping loudly above them. Would love to see these (insert swear word here) have their halyards pulled out. See how quick they are to allow them to slap next time.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 06:05   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

I doubt folks will ever secure halyards properly especially if they won't secure other more important items.

We had a few boats whose roller furling jibs came loose during Hurricane Dorian (or what was left of it) They were flopping around like crazy

All but one was taken down by the owners.

The last one is still like that and it has been over a month. The backstay has now broken off at the mast head. Actually that aft section of the mast head broke off.

The backstay and that mast head section are now in the cockpit. A friend of the owners came out and hooked a strap to the boom and the stern railing for a jury rigged back stay (Topping lift - boom- strap. Main sheet is still attached also) the friend then stared at the jib flopping around then left.

Yesterday, I noticed the jib furler had broken off at the bottom. Now there just a line to the bow area and bottom of the sail. There a halyard hooked to the bow that looks like a forestay far off, but it's just a halyard
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 07:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
...The last one is still like that and it has been over a month. The backstay has now broken off at the mast head. Actually that aft section of the mast head broke off.

The backstay and that mast head section are now in the cockpit. A friend of the owners came out and hooked a strap to the boom and the stern railing for a jury rigged back stay (Topping lift - boom- strap. Main sheet is still attached also) the friend then stared at the jib flopping around then left.

Yesterday, I noticed the jib furler had broken off at the bottom. Now there just a line to the bow area and bottom of the sail. There a halyard hooked to the bow that looks like a forestay far off, but it's just a halyard
If (When!!) that mast comes down and damages another boat, I hope they collect damages from the boat owner AND the marina for allowing such a thing. If that boat was next to mine I'd be pretty damn desperate to get that fixed or removed!

In my experience, the number of slapping halyards is directly correlated to two things:

1.) The quality of marina management.
2.) The number of liveaboards who actually sail their boats and understand how to rig them.

A good marina just doesn't tolerate that crap, and gets the owner to fix it, fixes for the owner and sends a bill, or evicts them if it is a constant unresolved problem. Although, honestly in the case described by thomm, I'd bet an eviction notice would just result in the abandonment of the vessel and an even bigger headache for the marina! Some people are just not up to speed on the responsibility thing.

Liveaboards rapidly either educate the dumb owner, or fix it for them.

In marinas that operate like RV parks, and have a population of liveaboards who never take their boats out can actually be the worst.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:07   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If (When!!) that mast comes down and damages another boat, I hope they collect damages from the boat owner AND the marina for allowing such a thing. If that boat was next to mine I'd be pretty damn desperate to get that fixed or removed!

In my experience, the number of slapping halyards is directly correlated to two things:

1.) The quality of marina management.
2.) The number of liveaboards who actually sail their boats and understand how to rig them.

A good marina just doesn't tolerate that crap, and gets the owner to fix it, fixes for the owner and sends a bill, or evicts them if it is a constant unresolved problem. Although, honestly in the case described by thomm, I'd bet an eviction notice would just result in the abandonment of the vessel and an even bigger headache for the marina! Some people are just not up to speed on the responsibility thing.

Liveaboards rapidly either educate the dumb owner, or fix it for them.

In marinas that operate like RV parks, and have a population of liveaboards who never take their boats out can actually be the worst.
They just rebuilt the marina and it's looking good. I'll probably call in a day or two if nothing is done. It's getting ridiculous at this point.

They walk the marina every day though at some point and this boat can be seen from the office.

The thing is the boat is/was a nice one. It's a Catalina 27 with diesel and dodger/bimini etc.

See video (posted Sept 7th) below right after Dorian passed

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:12   #7

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

The ones I don't understand are the boats on the hard, for sometimes years, that have some of all the running rig in place!? Altbough, once shredded enough, halyard slap is reduced somewhat
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:20   #8

Boat: Discovery 50

So what’s the best way to stop a halyard from slapping against the mast (other than removing it) ?
Hartings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:25   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’m sure it’s not the best way, but I often slide a throwable cushion up between the mast and the Halyard, you may need to slacken that Halyard and use a boat hook to get it high enough.
I’ve yet to come up with a better solution, but admit what I do is Mickey Mouse, but it works.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:25   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

The technique I use is to take the halyard and flip it over the outside of the spreader and then snug it down. This holds the halyard out from the mast.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:51   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Securing Halyards

The head sail halyards?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
We all know how annoying it is when there is a halyard slapping against a mast in a marina or yard (or even in an anchorage) but I hope these 2 photos will make it very obvious why it is vital to secure your halyards properly when you leave you boat for any length of time.

Think it very clear the damage that has been done by shackles hitting the mast repeatedly over a prolonged period of time.
One just needs to properly "tune" your mast such that when the hardware and halyard strike the mast in an appropriately protected location, it will emit a pleasant gong sound instead of a harsh clank. It helps if everyone in the marina collaborates so as to make for a fine orchestra of sorts of a collection of wind chimes and temple bells. The out of tune boats should be requested to fix ["tune"] their masts or be told to leave the marina, mooring or anchorage.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 10:10   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The head sail halyards?

I use the method for the main halyard and spinnaker halyard. The headsail halyard is internal to the mast and exits the mast a few feet above the winch so it’s never been a problem.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 12:19   #14

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
So what’s the best way to stop a halyard from slapping against the mast (other than removing it) ?
For the main halyard, just remove it from the head of the sail when you drop the sail, and attach it to a suitable point slightly away from the mast (usually a handrail or similar), then pull the slack out of the halyard from the cockpit and secure it.

The alternative, if for whatever reason this can’t be done (or you have external halyards and the working end of the halyard isn’t the problem), is to frap the lines. Frapping the halyards is done by tying a small piece of string looping around the shroud and then around the halyard and pulling tight. This holds the halyard away from the mast. Thirty years ago in the uk everyone would do this as a matter of course every evening. Perhaps the knowledge and care being applied has faded?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 12:31   #15

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

This was one of the first things I learned about boats. LOL. I have never enjoyed the sound of things banging into the mast or anywhere on the boat. I like a quiet boat.

I always take the halyard off of the sail and move it over to the lifelines. I secure it on the lifelines and tighten it up appropriately.

Typically the halyard for the headsail on a boat with furling is inside the mast so that's not an issue when raised. When you take the sail off, same story. Move the halyard over to the lifeline. I prefer the lifeline as a post to anything on deck because it’s silent. Even if you get a little bit of movement in the halyard it doesn’t make a sound.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard