Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2019, 17:11   #31

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Securing Halyards

A problem as old as time, and doubled when you have external halyards. Sure the hoist end can be moved out to the rail, but the tail end is more difficult. Use a gilguy as shown in #29.

From Chapman's Etiquette:

Quote:
Gilguys should tie off the halyards whether there is a breeze to make the halyards slap or not. It may be long after the owners have gone home that the breeze builds enough to set the halyards slapping, and that's when the boat in the next slip will start complaining about the noise.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 14:11   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Mickey Mouse? No, not at all. It is, however, totally Goofy.

I mean really??? There is no need for YOU to come up with a better solution. Walk a dock--any dock. You'll see lots of people who have managed to properly secure halyards and don't have boat cushions hanging on their masts...

You may not understand, itís the halyards external to the mast for the head sails.
Itís not the main sail halyard left attached the the main sail.
So other than having them run internal, what would you do?
Itís not often and not loud, but as my head is within one foot of the mast when sleeping, it doesnít take much to be annoying.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 00:49   #33

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Wow!

Never expected such a response to the post as my only aim was to highlight why it is important to secure your halyards, sheets etc to avoid damage to hardware. The steel shackles rubbing/hitting the mast have drastically eroded the aluminium mast potentially weakening the metal.

There are a multitude of ways to prevent halyard slap. The simplest being securing them away from the mast when not in use. I tie our spinnaker and foresail halyards down the to fore cleats when we lay up for instance. With out in mast furling main we have to rig up a bit of a cat's cradle to keep the wire halyard from spanking the mast but a soft shackle and a line back to the outhaul keeps the peace and secures the halyard. The outhaul is then further secured (it spanks the boom with the wind from the beam) with a simple clove hitch wrapped over the boom.

I've seen other people fitting devices to hold spare halyards on the spreaders, tying them down to the base of the shrouds, to the pulpit and lots of other methods to avoid slap. Whatever works on your boat is perfectly fine.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas, let's hope this helps reduce the noise and prevent people suffering damage either to themselves of to/from others.

Cheers and cold beers

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 04:33   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Noisy external halyards can also be quieted by twisting together, then wrapping the twisted halyards around the mast, and hauling them tight.
This has the added benefit of ameliorating mast pumping, by disrupting the formation of the Von Karman vortices, that cause the harmonic oscillations.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 06:51   #35

Boat: Whitby, Alberg 30

Personally I never found the noise annoying. It is just the way marinas sound. But I try to be considerate of others so I keep mine quite. I find music playing much more annoying.
swordds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 07:12   #36
It is only boating

Boat: Hunter 410

Near as I've been able to determine over the years the way people with boats that have slapping/banging halyards fix it is to ............................................. leave!
Old 28-10-2019, 07:22   #37

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This was one of the first things I learned about boats. LOL. I have never enjoyed the sound of things banging into the mast or anywhere on the boat. I like a quiet boat.

I always take the halyard off of the sail and move it over to the lifelines. I secure it on the lifelines and tighten it up appropriately.

Typically the halyard for the headsail on a boat with furling is inside the mast so that's not an issue when raised. When you take the sail off, same story. Move the halyard over to the lifeline. I prefer the lifeline as a post to anything on deck because itís silent. Even if you get a little bit of movement in the halyard it doesnít make a sound.
Yeah nothing should bang ever really in a marina. It's a kin to playing loud obnoxious music all day everyday for the period the boat is there. Still it could be worse. It could be barking dogs and crying children.

Right now I have had construction going on by me for a month, but at least it had a definite start/stop time.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 08:07   #38

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
So whatís the best way to stop a halyard from slapping against the mast (other than removing it) ?
I take my shackles down to the toerail and then use a bungie cord around the shrouds to pull the halyards away from the stick. It's ain't rocket surgery.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 09:20   #39

Boat: Cheoy Lee

Some might like it...like wind chimes. I do not. So annoying.
Like someone posted, it isn't rocket science. Just tie off somewhere off the mast.
Chrissake...so easy.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 09:40   #40

People often try to prevent mast slap by getting their halyards as tight as possible. Slackening them a bit works better. Ever tune a guitar? The big E string when it is loose doesn't have near the energy.

This almost always solves internal halyard slap. Then just move the external ones away by securing them someplace away from the mast or use bungee cords. (I buy the big bucket of them at Harbor Freight with the molded plastic ends. They are cheap, have no metal to rust, and last a long time. I just retired two that have been holding my spinnaker halyards for two years.)

Don't get uptight! Relax...

I'm sure I am about to be burned by the anti chafe crowd, so I have on my flame proof suit. I will add however that the only halyard I have ever had chafe problems with on my boat is the one keeping my roller furling jib taught. The others are relaxed.

Peace be with you...
rvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 09:49   #41

Boat: Cheoy Lee

[QUOTE=rvich;

Don't get uptight! Relax...

.[/QUOTE]

You are right! But in most cases it is just people don't care.
Also, this is a forum. One should not be hindered by possible flaming. The mods should be dealing with that, not you.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 10:12   #42

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
For the main halyard, just remove it from the head of the sail when you drop the sail, and attach it to a suitable point slightly away from the mast (usually a handrail or similar), then pull the slack out of the halyard from the cockpit and secure it.

The alternative, if for whatever reason this canít be done (or you have external halyards and the working end of the halyard isnít the problem), is to frap the lines. Frapping the halyards is done by tying a small piece of string looping around the shroud and then around the halyard and pulling tight. This holds the halyard away from the mast. Thirty years ago in the uk everyone would do this as a matter of course every evening. Perhaps the knowledge and care being applied has faded?
Agree. Not sure which is the easiest, but we have a permanent line tied to and hanging from the shroud. At the first stop, or the first clanging, we take the rope from the shroud, tie it to the main halyard as high up as we can reach (about 1/4m) and tie it off tight.
Takes about 30seconds to do.

A friendly "show how" helps a lot. Many don't attend to the problem as they are unaware of solutions.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 10:25   #43

Boat: Allied Seabreeze 35

A split pool noodle is great for keeping the halyards from slapping.
MichaelNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 10:55   #44

Boat: Catalina 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartings View Post
So whatís the best way to stop a halyard from slapping against the mast (other than removing it) ?
Bungy cords work well
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 10:59   #45
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Correctly frapped halyard at last! Thank you for not using bungy cord -- the devil's own device on a boat.
I have a bag of extremely crappy bungees that I, er, acquired at the boatyard dumpster. In the spirit of reuse of resources, I will use them on another boat if the rattling annoys me when I'm at the dock!

Some people are so out of touch with their boats that the bungees stay on for weeks and then the boat is hauled with these cheerful little signals of bad seamanship. There must be a whole section in the Book of Denial about people who neglect their boats.

For out own boat we put a couple of small cleats facing forward and aft on the spreaders. We can whip a halyard around the outside horn of that and snug it up.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard