Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2013, 17:25   #61

Boat: 21 ft sail boat
Re: Seaworthy

Talking about what sort of boat is required, I just crewed [from this forum] the Barrier reef coast on a 43 footer. Very nice boat with three cabins, two heads, shower, dishwasher, flat screen tv, all furling sails with hydraulic winches, all electronics, etc, etc. However the boat I am going to get wont have a head, shower on the deck, single burner stove, one cabin, no tv or dishwasher, roughing it and loving it.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 17:39   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seaworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I sometimes wonder if we follow the same thinking patterns because we sail similar boats ... or is it the other way round?

Yes. I am 100% with you on this. I see pure seaworthiness a design/technical factor with other co-factors (technical and human) contributing.

Sort of to say some designs, some builds, some boats are inherently seaworthy, others are not.

As you said: 'a sound structure and a means of moving (it)'. I would also like the structure to be built in form and to parameters that promote safe sailing.

Cheers,
b.
All very well for your own personal boat b... but us delivery skippers have to eat...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 18:22   #63

I have wondered if "Seaworthiness: The Forgotten Factor" by C.A. Marchai is worth getting, and reading.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 18:43   #64

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
I have wondered if "Seaworthiness: The Forgotten Factor" by C.A. Marchai is worth getting, and reading.
I have read it. I like it. I have it on my shelf.

I also like Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia (S&L Dashews), their chapters on cruising design are excellent and the whole book is a most interesting read.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 19:57   #65

Boat: Knysna 440

Nice book references! Adding to my Amazon wishlist.
Lonestaralaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 08:39   #66

Boat: contessa 32

Quote:
Definitely a worthwhile reference book ,some chapters are fairly dense with some serious math, but the first few could have have resolved many of the discussions here for both the hard core salts and those at the entry level.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 10:59   #67

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I have this book also. He is basically arguing against IOR style racing boats with fin keels and spade rudders plus lacking ballast and for a boat swith more keel surface, longer keels, protected /skeg rudder, and heavier/heavier built with a better ballast to disp ratio and higher Angle of Vanishing Stability (AVS)

Lots of folks on here just say it's dated and brag about whatever they are sailing since they don't plan on crossing oceans anyway.

Btw, the guy continually uses the Contessa 32 and similar boats as his good examples..........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seaworthy