Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 07:10   #31

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Not at the moment, it is a buyers market.
Old 13-08-2013, 08:38   #32

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Seaworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestaralaskan View Post
Yes, we women do enjoy certain creature comforts. I was raised in Alaska and I know how to rough it, but that doesn't mean I want to! At least not all the time.

By the way, do a lot of boats sell at list price? Just wondering.
Nope... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:02   #33

Quote:
Breathing a sigh of relief. So its really a matter of personal taste/style as to what needs to be done before drifting away. That makes a lot more sense to me. Being a woman, I focus on the important stuff. You know - A/C, refrigerator, decent bathroom, roomy cabin.... just kidding!!
But I'm gettin the idea now. It just depends on where you're going and how you like to travel.

Nice boat, FiG. But I'm not in the market for a while. =/ Just studying up while I build up some funds. Thanks though. That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.
Yeah, there's Seaworthy and then there is CruiseReady. This post assumed you bought a seaworthy boat.
CruiseReady is very much a personal matter. Some people can live without a lot of conveniences and others want them.
A huge decision is Refrigeration... once you decide to have that, it domino's into having to have a high daily output charging system of some sort; Solar, Alternator, Generator etc.
Navigation tools is another; Radar, gps and plotting. Today, most would say necessary.
Watermaker? A very high convenience item, but expensive and may require electricity too!
Your Dingy and motor are now your "car" You need a good one.
BTW: I would guess most boats sell an average of 20-25% less than asking. Sometimes 50%... sometimes 10%... it just depends on the boat and location., look at a lot of boats, keep track of what sells, eventually you might figure out how the market works in your area and what's a deal and what's not. If you have a specific boat and want an opinion dont be afraid to let us know here, either in a post of by PM.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:11   #34

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I don't mind getting bashed. Bring it on! My question is naive because when it comes to sailing, I'm a total newb.

Just trying to understand what kinds of maintenance/prep would need to be done post-purchase, assuming the boat is in good shape.

My ideal boat would be a Morgan 41 Island Out - but finding one in my price range in good condition might be tough.
Why that boat and that size?

Just off the top of my head the things that would need to be added to a coastal boat in good shape:

Bimini
Dodger if it doesn't already have one.
Storm sails
Extra anchors and rodes of varying types
Water tankage
fuel tankage maybe
Windvane and/or autopilot
Light air sails, symmetrical spinnaker does not count
Spin pole if you don't already have one, plus an extra long pole if you can afford it
solar panels
bigger battery bank
Spares for all the major systems on the boat
Tools to install said spares
stock material such as plywood, lumber, wire and hoses
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:25   #35

Boat: contessa 32

Lets tighten up on our terms here.It could save a lot of confusion and acrimony ,on this and many other threads.
" Seaworthy", to me means a boat that is "ready" to make a ocean passage of some duration and distance.It has nothing to do with the skipper other than to assume that the vessel is managed in a reasonable seamanlike fashion by a skipper with some offshore (hopefully) experience.

"Cruise ready" is probably what most posters have in mind when they inquire about purchasing a " seaworthy " boat despite what they claim. This surely is a less rigorous requirement since by my definition this craft will not be exposed day after day to the demands that an ocean passage may serve up.These craft will be sailed for the most part on soundings with shelter and emergency help nearby ( 8hrs,12hrs,24 hrs?). This cruise ready vessel could in many cases be brought up to the higher standards of sea ready or ocean ready by the addition of greater safety equipment, heavier salls ,rigging ,water tanks and those trappings that the chandlers are insistent that are required. I don't feel that the skipper on this craft need offshore (off soundings) experience at all and may be rather new to sailing, especially cruising.

I have fairly extensive experience in both types of cruising so I believe I'm not splitting hairs in this distinction and have of necessity been vague as to many details here since there is quite a bit of overlap in boat types, preparation and opinions.
What say you all ? Is this any help in clarifying anything or does it just further muddy the waters?
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:37   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seaworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Lets tighten up on our terms here.It could save a lot of confusion and acrimony ,on this and many other threads.
" Seaworthy", to me means a boat that is "ready" to make a ocean passage of some duration and distance.It has nothing to do with the skipper other than to assume that the vessel is managed in a reasonable seamanlike fashion by a skipper with some offshore (hopefully) experience.

"Cruise ready" is probably what most posters have in mind when they inquire about purchasing a " seaworthy " boat despite what they claim. This surely is a less rigorous requirement since by my definition this craft will not be exposed day after day to the demands that an ocean passage may serve up.These craft will be sailed for the most part on soundings with shelter and emergency help nearby ( 8hrs,12hrs,24 hrs?). This cruise ready vessel could in many cases be brought up to the higher standards of sea ready or ocean ready by the addition of greater safety equipment, heavier salls ,rigging ,water tanks and those trappings that the chandlers are insistent that are required. I don't feel that the skipper on this craft need offshore (off soundings) experience at all and may be rather new to sailing, especially cruising.

I have fairly extensive experience in both types of cruising so I believe I'm not splitting hairs in this distinction and have of necessity been vague as to many details here since there is quite a bit of overlap in boat types, preparation and opinions.
What say you all ? Is this any help in clarifying anything or does it just further muddy the waters?
I think 'Seaworthy' is very much down to the Skipper... for example several Yacht Master delivery skippers walk away from a Catalac they considered unseaworthy without around £10K at least being spent on equipment/upgrades/sails/liferaft etc...
I took it UK to Pendick/Turkey in the Marmaris Sea... cost the owner £500 for an inflatable dinghy and an ST2000 tiller pilot..
So that muddies the water for a start..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:39   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

I think 'Seaworthy' is very much down to the Skipper... for example several Yacht Master delivery skippers walk away from a Catalac they considered unseaworthy without around £10K at least being spent on equipment/upgrades/sails/liferaft etc...
I took it UK to Pendick/Turkey in the Marmaris Sea... cost the owner £500 for an inflatable dinghy and an ST2000 tiller pilot..
So that muddies the water for a start..
That doesn't mean it was Seaworthy, it could just mean , you're a lunatic !!!

Dave
Old 13-08-2013, 09:47   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That doesn't mean it was Seaworthy, it could just mean , you're a lunatic !!!

Dave
That's true...
But Optimist sounds so much better...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 13-08-2013, 09:48   #39

A well built boat in good condition is seaworthy to me. It can have no electronic nav equiptment and simple hank on sails. It must have a strong rudder, rigging, keel etc. All else is cruise equipment..... and in fact my first offshore boat, a Rawson 30 was pretty much that boat. Took me from Seattle to Mexico and back. No GPS, NO watermaker, No furling, stock 40 amp alternator.... 2 group 27 car batteries....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:51   #40
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

That's true...
But Optimist sounds so much better...
Does optimist repeal seawater , better then lunatic ! , I'm impressed. Next time I find myself " knee deep in the brown stuff" I must stop saying , " dave youre really a lunatic " , and start saying " Dave you're an optimist " , I can see that bilge pump working faster already.

I must also stop talking to myself too

Dave
Old 13-08-2013, 10:06   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Does optimist repeal seawater , better then lunatic ! , I'm impressed. Next time I find myself " knee deep in the brown stuff" I must stop saying , " dave youre really a lunatic " , and start saying " Dave you're an optimist " , I can see that bilge pump working faster already.

I must also stop talking to myself too

Dave
Funny you should say that....
About the Catalac...
2am in a blow between Trafalgar and Tarifa... water calf deep in each hull.. another 2.5 feet under the floors and old manual bilge pumps ripped of the rotten ply bulkheads while the crew pumped... shoulda held out for the electric...
Damn UFO's... but we got her in OK with a SAR vessel from Barbette standing by... just in case..

The negative stuff comes after..

Old 13-08-2013, 10:08   #42
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Funny you should say that about the Catalac...
2am in a blow between Trafalgar and Tarifa... water calf deep in each hull.. another 2.5 feet under the floors and old manual bilge pumps ripped of the rotten ply bulkheads while the crew pumped... shoulda held out for the electric...
Damn UFO's... but we got her in OK with a SAR vessel from Barbette standing by... just in case..

The negative stuff comes after..
f€&king nasty piece of water in a blow, have the T-shirt

Dave
Old 14-08-2013, 07:10   #43

Boat: contessa 32

So those here who seem to be claiming that it is the skipper that makes a boat seaworthy and not the boat itself should reread the original post. The OP mentions boat multiple times in his query as to what makes a boat "seaworthy".

To suggest that it is just the captain is to suggest that when an experienced man steps aboard ,the craft somehow becomes seaworthy and by extrapolation one can infer that when he steps off again the boat becomes now magically becomes unseaworthy again.
As stated in my post above:" we need to tighten up on our terms and definitions.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 07:30   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
So those here who seem to be claiming that it is the skipper that makes a boat seaworthy and not the boat itself should reread the original post. The OP mentions boat multiple times in his query as to what makes a boat "seaworthy".

To suggest that it is just the captain is to suggest that when an experienced man steps aboard ,the craft somehow becomes seaworthy and by extrapolation one can infer that when he steps off again the boat becomes now magically becomes unseaworthy again.
As stated in my post above:" we need to tighten up on our terms and definitions.
Get it right mate... what I said was...
It is the skipper who decides if a boat is seaworthy or not...
EG: I may consider a vessel seaworthy enough to take across the Atlantic...
However... the 50 odd 100/200ton Captains in Oriental, NC. and GoBoatingNow likely may not...
These two opposing opinions have no effect WHATSOEVER on the vessels actual seaworthiness...

Old 14-08-2013, 07:42   #45

Boat: Knysna 440

So aside from opinions, what are the absolute necessities for having a "seaworthy" boat? That was the original question.

There have been some snarky answers, some high-level "if it floats, its ready", and some "it varies based on opinion" responses. But I think we can all agree that there are some functions of a sailboat that must be working correctly to launch.

Any suggestions on a checklist of must-have systems and equipment that should be tested and ready to go before launch?

Or let's narrow it down even more.

What are the first five basic things on a boat you would check if you were preparing for a cruise on a new-to-you sailboat?
Lonestaralaskan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seaworthy