Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 15:29   #31
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Seahawk Paints and warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
While I don't condone use of TBTF loaded paint, in this case if the paint was so damn toxic that it presented an environmental hazard, I doubt that prolific hard growth would be appearing on it.
Right. Most of the planet's seafaring nations have banned the use of TbT paints because it's harmless. I guess they should have asked for your expert opinion first.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 18:21   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Right. Most of the planet's seafaring nations have banned the use of TbT paints because it's harmless. I guess they should have asked for your expert opinion first.
Well, now that you have had the obligatory personal attack at me, FB, would you care to comment on the gist of what I wrote? Namely, if this specific coat of paint is so non-toxic that barnies are growing all over it, it would seem to not be such a hazard to the environment at large.

As I said previously, I do NOT condone the use of TBTF paints, just like your "most of the planet's seafaring nations" stipulate . I suspect that in this specific case Seahawk left out the TBTF or formulated it in some non-soluable way. Were it not so, how could the barnies be so happy?

Jim
Old 08-12-2019, 19:26   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’m betting the can was mislabeled or as you suggest the tin was left out, but Seahawk makes several paints with only one I believe containing the tin
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 20:36   #34
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Namely, if this specific coat of paint is so non-toxic that barnies are growing all over it, it would seem to not be such a hazard to the environment at large.
Regardless of your opinion (which is based entirely on a single anecdotal report), tributyl tin is one of the worst poisons ever intentionally introduced into the marine environment. So harmful that even though its use was banned decades ago all over the world, its deleterious effects are still measurable today. But like I said, you ain't no expert.
Old 08-12-2019, 22:14   #35

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Some times you pays your money and takes your chances. Years ago I did a bottom job in Venezuela. I bought Pettit Trinidad from the boatyard at over $300/gallon. I had hard growth in less than month and things got worse from there. I suspect that the locals decanted the Trinidad and sold me house paint.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 22:59   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Regardless of your opinion (which is based entirely on a single anecdotal report), tributyl tin is one of the worst poisons ever intentionally introduced into the marine environment. So harmful that even though its use was banned decades ago all over the world, its deleterious effects are still measurable today. But like I said, you ain't no expert.
FB, you seem to be fixated on explaining to me the evils of general use of TBTF paints. Twice now I've said that I do not condone, approve, advocate or suggest the use of this chemical in bottom paints... get it?

I was wondering if the OP's paint even had any TBTF in it? If it did, and it is so toxic, why were the barnies having such a good time on it? And as a more general question, is the expired antifouling that comes off during routine cleaning still as toxic as when applied? If so, why are we removing it?If not, why are the authorities so up tight about it?

I know that I'm not expert in this field. You've implied often enough that you are, so I'm interested in your opinion. If you are not interested in voicing it, perhaps someone else will step in with wise words.

Jim
Old 09-12-2019, 05:13   #37
CLOD

Boat: none

TBTF does break down and have a half life ranging from days to 30 years depending of what it bonds to and it’s oxygen exposure. My guess is if hard growth occurred on fresh paint it didn’t really have TBTF and/or is wasn’t mixed well (another reason for it to just fall off). But then if we are talking Seahawk it could just be ........... well it’s Seahawk paint and it all comes down to luck.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:56   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I was wondering if the OP's paint even had any TBTF in it?
Yeah, except that's not what you inferred. What you inferred was that TbT paints are not "so damn toxic" and that they don't present "an environmental hazard." Sure, you can try to walk the statement back now with some sort of "Maybe the TbT paint didn't have any TbT in it" malarkey, but you said what you said and meant what you meant. Just own it already.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:00   #39

Boat: Formosa 41

I suspect TbT effects the human brain.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:18   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I suspect TbT effects the human brain.
Good thing for some that it got banned
Old 09-12-2019, 08:48   #41

Boat: Oyster 55

Just an aside I have used Seahawk's BioCop (in the color black) for the last 5 years while in the Caribbean and have been very happy with the results. Coming from a racing background I do wipe down my bottom from time to time.
Maybe I misunderstood but do people actually put bottom paint on and leave it for a year without the occasional cleaning? If that is the case please tell me about a bottom paint that you can leave alone for a year without a watchful diligence?
Also until I read this article I was not aware of any criminal behavior on the part of Seahawk. I do appreciate this information and I plead ignorance. I will consider this strongly in the future. Now what do I do about companies like Exxon, Shell etc.?
Last but not least I would like to ask fstbttms if hard bottom paints such as Micron 66 are safer for the environment?
I do appreciate his comments despite lacking a bit of diplomacy regarding Jim Cate's statement which was quite insightful in my opinion.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:07   #42
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Maybe I misunderstood but do people actually put bottom paint on and leave it for a year without the occasional cleaning?
Yes. I see this all the time.

Quote:
If that is the case please tell me about a bottom paint that you can leave alone for a year without a watchful diligence?
In regions of moderate to high fouling, there are no anti fouling paints that do not require regular cleaning.

Quote:
Last but not least I would like to ask fstbttms if hard bottom paints such as Micron 66 are safer for the environment?
First off, Micron 66 is an ablative paint, not a hard paint. Secondly, metal-laden anti fouling paints are technically pesticides. They work by releasing their biocides into the water. So no, they are not "safe" for the environment. But at the current level of anti fouling technology, they are a necessary evil. That said, we have choices when it comes to selecting paints and we can choose the lesser of these evils.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:09   #43

Many thanks!
Old 09-12-2019, 09:14   #44
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Many thanks!
I see that I misread one of your questions. If you were asking if Micron 66 is safer for the environment than Seahawk Islands 44, the answer is an unequivocal "Yes".
Old 09-12-2019, 09:26   #45

Sorry for the diversion but could be helpful to people reading this post.
Just purchased a new boat (for me) which has Micron CSC. Plan is same namly East Coast and Caribbean.
Is this a paint you would recommend ?

Tags
paint