Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 22:00   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Sea of Cortez to Vancouver

I would like any information I can get about moving a yacht from the Sea of Cortez to Vancouver BC. If sailed ,then what time of year is best, what route, what else? Delivery captains have any advise or rough budget figures for a delivery like this? Has anyone ever trucked a 37 ft cutter on a move similar to this? Costs of trucking?etc?
Old 01-03-2012, 22:28   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Sea of Cortez to Vancouver

It would depend on the condition of the vessel !! it can be a tough trip if you try to beat up the coast! you will need a good engine if you coast hop ! Ive always done this trip like I was going to Hawiee its a good reach most of the time and when ya turn North East its still a pretty good sail but if you or the vessels not up to it you might consider some help getting it to BC Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 22:53   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

It would depend on the type of boat and it's condition. An old production boat I'd truck for sure if it were worth the cost.
An off shore boat with good rigging, sails and motor, I'd sail it up via Hawaii stopping over for a few days. Getting up here in late June would be the safest weather wise. That beat N. of Hawaii could be the roughest.
Old 01-03-2012, 23:04   #4

Thanks for the reply's.
Tayana 37, new standing and running rigging, good sails, fairly recent rebuild on motor.
Any idea what kind of time a person should allow for this trip via Hawiai?
Old 01-03-2012, 23:19   #5

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Hey Bluefuss,,check out this couples experiences sailing to Hawaii from SanFransisco ,,,if you stay with it,,you can watch the trip they made to Hawaii from Vancouver in 2007 as well. excellent daily logs,,,enjoy.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 23:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefuss View Post
Thanks for the reply's.
Tayana 37, new standing and running rigging, good sails, fairly recent rebuild on motor.
Any idea what kind of time a person should allow for this trip via Hawiai?
Sounds like a good boat! The time has to be calculated on what ever route you take. If your willing to stay at sea the whole distance, which would be hard for a newbie boat/sailor, going 300+ miles off shore would be shorter and get you out of some of the southern current. Which is around 2000 to 3000 miles depending how far off shore you go.

The long way, from Mex to HI is best done in May to Oct. but is around 2000 miles.

From HI to Vanc. would best be done between May and Aug but no later. Go due N. until about 40º N then turn east, or when the westerly's are met. It's another 2700, or so, miles.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Sounds like a good boat! The time has to be calculated on what ever route you take. If your willing to stay at sea the whole distance, which would be hard for a newbie boat/sailor, going 300+ miles off shore would be shorter and get you out of some of the southern current. Which is around 2000 to 3000 miles depending how far off shore you go.

The long way, from Mex to HI is best done in May to Oct. but is around 2000 miles.

From HI to Vanc. would best be done between May and Aug but no later. Go due N. until about 40º N then turn east, or when the westerly's are met. It's another 2700, or so, miles.
So long way or short way this journey should take between 3 and 5 weeks, under normal conditions?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:36   #8

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

In 1997, we sailed our 48' ketch from Cabo San Lucas to Radio Bay on Hilo. The passage was 2,606 nautical miles and took us 18 days. We left on April 3 and once we arrived, spent 6 weeks cruising the islands, which we enjoyed very much. In early June, we left Waikiki for Sitka, Alaska, which was 2,612 nautical miles away and that took us 23 days.

Interestingly enough, but much of the west coast of North America forms almost a perfect arc around the Hawaiian Islands, making the distances from the mainland to the islands very similar regardless of your destination. The exception, obviously, is from mainland Mexico on south.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 13:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post

That is the theory. The practice can be quite different. Carefully monitor the position of the high. When I did this in 2010 the high moved north so that we were facing northerly on the approach to Juan de Fuca.

In 2000 at one point the high stretched right across the Pacific.

Get the weatherfax and grib files on a regular basis.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 14:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
That is the theory. The practice can be quite different. Carefully monitor the position of the high. When I did this in 2010 the high moved north so that we were facing northerly on the approach to Juan de Fuca.

In 2000 at one point the high stretched right across the Pacific.

Get the weatherfax and grib files on a regular basis.
Agreed! The N. Pacific is no playground. The weather can go from a warm sunny day to 30 kts + w/i an hour.
Old 02-03-2012, 14:55   #11

It still beats the coastal route ! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
Old 02-03-2012, 18:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
It still beats the coastal route ! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
I believe u r absolutely correct and would not even consider the coastal route.
Old 02-03-2012, 19:31   #13

Ive deliverd a couple of power boats coast hoppen from La Paz and 1 from San Carlos, none of which could go all the way so we had fuel at least once on the way !! What a BPITA, Uncomfortable is to good a word !! LOL just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
Old 02-03-2012, 20:29   #14

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefuss View Post
I believe u r absolutely correct and would not even consider the coastal route.
What's wrong with the coastal route? I've done 2 trips from the Canal to LA, 5 trips from Cabo to LA, 4 from Anacortes to San Francisco & back about a hundred from Anacortes to Coos bay and back and all the stops in between and 7 round trips to AK.
You get beat up once in awhile - have to hide behind Cape Lookout once in awhile and stuff like that but it ain't no big deal! A big heavy boat helps and good luck comes in handy but you'll miss alot of beautiful scenery if you go off shore all the time. I spent some years chasing tuna out there in Hoodoo land and I like it offshore too. I never could go more than 500 miles out because I didn't carry enough fuel or ice in a 40' fishing boat but I had alot of fun and stormy weather I couldn't hide from. Got caught out in a southerly that blew 70 knts for 3 days straight out off Mendocino about 400 miles out. That was fun!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 20:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
What's wrong with the coastal route? I've done 2 trips from the Canal to LA, 5 trips from Cabo to LA, 4 from Anacortes to San Francisco & back about a hundred from Anacortes to Coos bay and back and all the stops in between and 7 round trips to AK.
You get beat up once in awhile - have to hide behind Cape Lookout once in awhile and stuff like that but it ain't no big deal! A big heavy boat helps and good luck comes in handy but you'll miss alot of beautiful scenery if you go off shore all the time. I spent some years chasing tuna out there in Hoodoo land and I like it offshore too. I never could go more than 500 miles out because I didn't carry enough fuel or ice in a 40' fishing boat but I had alot of fun and stormy weather I couldn't hide from. Got caught out in a southerly that blew 70 knts for 3 days straight out off Mendocino about 400 miles out. That was fun!
Not sure if your bragging or complaining?

Tags
sea of cortez