Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 21:07   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
While I've sailed north up the coast as a paid captain I'd never think of cruising hat way... Sail to Hawaii, enjoy, and sail north east from there.

Give those old whalers credit for knowing what works!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:21   #17

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: Sea of Cortez to Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Not sure if your bragging or complaining?
You mean you can't tell?? BOTH!
It's a tough life out there on the water but somebody has to do it! I quit a few times and headed for the sticks to hide out with the animals but once the sea has taken a bite out of you - you're screwed!!!!!!!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 21:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
While I've sailed north up the coast as a paid captain I'd never think of cruising hat way... Sail to Hawaii, enjoy, and sail north east from there.

Give those old whalers credit for knowing what works!
Good idea if you've got the time - about 3 months ought to do it if you stop in Hawaii.
You should be able to bang away up the coast in 15 days if you're lucky.
Old 03-03-2012, 22:25   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

AHHH 15 days from The Sea Of Cortez to Vancouver Canada ?? Heck of a fast trip !! your a hell of better sailer then me !!! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 22:38   #20

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
AHHH 15 days from The Sea Of Cortez to Vancouver Canada ?? Heck of a fast trip !! your a hell of better sailer then me !!! Bob and Connie
I think your right, I caulculated more like 21 w/ good weather. More if dodging the coastal storms that seem to come about 3-4 day's apart. then there's Cape Mendocino, then Cape Blanco, then Cape Foulweather, and alway's Columbia River out to 60 miles, next is Cape Flattery. I would figure at least the 21 day's non-stop. Last summer I seen 6 deliveries headed north and all had severe damage from blown out sails to holes in there hulls. That would be my two cents. Listen to Bob on this, his expertise is a fact, not chance...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 23:10   #21

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

If you decide to take the coastal route, do it in the spring. During the afternoons in the summer months the wind blasts down the coast - great for kites on the beach but not so much for northbound cruisers...
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 23:36   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you are thinking of the coastal route, buy 'Cruising the Northwest Coast' by George Benson. It can be done without too much difficulty but involves a lot motoring just off the kelp line in summer. He did it a number of times in a 27' Coronado.

If you want to sail most of the way, January to March gives you a better than average chance of Southerly and Westerly winds on the coastal route. Of course it's a tad cold at that time of year and there are those pesky lows that March across the Pacific in weekly monotony. Talked with a couple in a Tartan 41 that had a very pleasant, fast sail with mostly reaching conditions up from SF in February. You'll have to be ready to duck into secure harbors well before the fronts arrive as all the safe harbors above Mendocino have bars that close out. If you get caught out, be resigned to a very uncomfortable time of it.

Sailing to Hawaii is usually a downwind sleigh ride. You can sail to Hawaii from the Mainland at almost any time of the year though you can get clobbered when north of LA's latitude in the winter. Winter winds are more fickle so trips can take a bit longer.

The sail from Hawaii is not as pleasant. Normal route is to sail north in the usually easterly trades and then bend around the high with the clocking winds. Usually up around 40N before the winds switch to west/northwest and you can head east. Things are still relatively benign into September but wouldn't want to be at sea by the end of September. If you have a lot of fuel and want to head to lower latitudes, sailing north into the high then rhumblining it to your destination via engine power until you come out the other side of the high and can sail for the final leg.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
You did notice that I said, "if you're lucky"
I've made the trip from Cabo to Puget Sound several times in several different boats. I did the trip in 15 days in 1980 on a 70 S&S yawl - motor sailing 99% of the time, 24hrs a day, stopped 3 times to clear in and take on fuel.
It is about 1500 miles from Cabo to Cape Flattery. If you can average 5 knts, that's a 120 miles a day. We did the trip in April or May - It wasnt a cruise - It was a job. As all my trips up the coast have been - either delivering boats or commercial fishing for 30 years. I'm new to this cruising idea - all I've ever done was work at sea for my living one way or another.
Probably the only time I ever went 'cruising' was when I delivered a couple of CSY's to Tortola then when I took my own boat down the chain for a couple of years where I survived by under the table chartering. I cant say that I've ever gone on a boat anywhere for a 'vacation cruise' until I retired recently!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12   #24

Boat: SJ23 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
We did the trip in April or May - It wasnt a cruise - It was a job.

The Understatement of the Millenium. Personally I haven't been on this leg the poster is asking about, but I have many a friend that have told me that Sailing South is far easier than North on this coast. I tend to believe them as the prevailing systems approach from Alaska and then drop south before heading east over the mountains. How far north that Jet stream is, depends on the time of year. In bad winters it drops way low and we get pummeled with storm after storm, no more than 6-12 hours of rest between. In Good winters they roll through every 3-4 days and are much weaker.
This year has been not so nice. 25 inches of the white stuff (only twice have I seen snow here like that). Knockdown winds gusting 45+ (and that is inland in the Puget Sound). All good experience for a day, but I'm glad when I can go home to a warm fire and a lazy chair.

Whichever you decide, Fair winds and calm seas are wished upon you.

Cheers
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57   #25

You guys crack me up! Some of the best salmon fishing I ever had was when it was blowing a steady NW 45knts. I was out on the ''prairie" 65 miles off Flattery. Catching a hundred big Kings a day for a week straight! If you went to the dock (like alot of them did) you don't make any money!
It's a tough job but it's FUN!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 13:02   #26

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

You might think of a delivery Captain to Ensenada, Baja or San Diego and then truck from there. You didn't say where you were in the Sea of Cortez, but they do move yacht by trucks out of La Paz and San Carlos, but it is cheaper if you get the boat to the US first.

It will run somewhere between $15-25k to move the boat from San Diego to Seatle. Additional cost would be hauling, stepping the mast and packing. Most boatyards have special pricing for this.

If you hire a delivery skipper, most WILL NOT do the circle route, but instead would follow the coast north. You can figure between $3- $5 per mile, depending on how willing the skipper is to deal.

Good luck

Tom

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 16:32   #27

Boat: Tayana 37

Some great food for thought here. Thank you all for your help.
Old 18-03-2012, 12:53   #28

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

you might try to rotate the earth upside down, and then it will float downhill to BC. Be sure to turn it back once it gets there..

It is cheaper to transport it on land if it fits in 8ft lane, otherwise it can get expensive quickly. Ocean transport, i.e. load it on a big ship as cargo,
is usually quite inexpensive, but I haven't heard to cargo ship making that route. Might check into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefuss View Post
I would like any information I can get about moving a yacht from the Sea of Cortez to Vancouver BC. If sailed ,then what time of year is best, what route, what else? Delivery captains have any advise or rough budget figures for a delivery like this? Has anyone ever trucked a 37 ft cutter on a move similar to this? Costs of trucking?etc?
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 13:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
but I haven't heard to cargo ship making that route. Might check into that.
I have seen Dockwise near La Paz. They do go to the PNW.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of cortez