Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2021, 00:22   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
SE ASIA 2021 - Info

Is anyone currently sailing in SE Asia?

What borders are Open or Closed and what is the situation like for a cruiser?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:05   #2

Re: SE ASIA 2021 - Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Is anyone currently sailing in SE Asia?

What borders are Open or Closed and what is the situation like for a cruiser?
I live in The Philippines and have been monitoring everything as our boat is stuck in Phuket currently. Honestly, unless you are already in most of the countries the borders are locked. In the case of The Philippines even moving around the country is basically a no go.

Recent updates:

-Indonesia which had relaxed measures and were allowing in cruisers has now shut down borders again until Jan 14 with possible extension.

-Thailand is now open, however they had a recent outbreak after having Covid really under control. The cases did not come from foreigners or cruisers. It came from illegal immigration in a shrimp market in a province south of Bangkok. Nearly all recent cases can be traced back to the shrimp market or an illegal gambling den around the same area. Just today 3 province are now on lockdown, which includes Pattaya. We are hoping the Thai government gets it back under control. They did one of the best jobs in the world with the original outbreak, so we will see.

-Malaysia recently extended its border closures until March 31st, with a possible chance to extend.

-Everything else borders are closed with no news on when they could possibly open.

While not really considered part of SE Asia, Fiji is open under its Blue Light program. However, it is cyclone season there currently.

Good luck on your travels
ewishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:15   #3
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewishki View Post
I live in The Philippines and have been monitoring everything as our boat is stuck in Phuket currently. Honestly, unless you are already in most of the countries the borders are locked. In the case of The Philippines even moving around the country is basically a no go.

Recent updates:

-Indonesia which had relaxed measures and were allowing in cruisers has now shut down borders again until Jan 14 with possible extension.

-Thailand is now open, however they had a recent outbreak after having Covid really under control. The cases did not come from foreigners or cruisers. It came from illegal immigration in a shrimp market in a province south of Bangkok. Nearly all recent cases can be traced back to the shrimp market or an illegal gambling den around the same area. Just today 3 province are now on lockdown, which includes Pattaya. We are hoping the Thai government gets it back under control. They did one of the best jobs in the world with the original outbreak, so we will see.

-Malaysia recently extended its border closures until March 31st, with a possible chance to extend.

-Everything else borders are closed with no news on when they could possibly open.

While not really considered part of SE Asia, Fiji is open under its Blue Light program. However, it is cyclone season there currently.

Good luck on your travels

Thanks.

Looking at Going to Thailand, But Indonesia and Malaysia are on route.

But as I have to wait for the Cyclone season up north (I am in Perth WA) to end I have time
Old 05-01-2021, 02:20   #4

Quote:
Thanks.

Looking at Going to Thailand, But Indonesia and Malaysia are on route.

But as I have to wait for the Cyclone season up north (I am in Perth WA) to end I have time
I just read that Quantas started taking reservations for Thailand and some other SE Asia locations for July 1st forward. I am pretty sure they have done their due diligence and came up with that date for some very educated reason.

I think we are getting close. An acceleration of vaccine roll outs around the world in the next 6 months should really start to lower cases significantly.
ewishki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 17:11   #5
UFO

Quote:
I just read that Quantas started taking reservations for Thailand and some other SE Asia locations for July 1st forward. I am pretty sure they have done their due diligence and came up with that date for some very educated reason.

I think we are getting close. An acceleration of vaccine roll outs around the world in the next 6 months should really start to lower cases significantly.

Well That could work well for me if Indonesia and Malaysia are open as well
Old 07-01-2021, 03:09   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts Mauritius 43'

Hi,UFO do you realize that the Australian borders are closed so you can’t leave.
Just Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:28   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Entry to Thailand by boat is about usd$2400 plus 24 days at a dedicated quarantine anchorage.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:59   #8
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Awesome View Post
Hi,UFO do you realize that the Australian borders are closed so you can’t leave.

Unless they changed again very recently, if you are leaving for more than 3 months that is a good enough reason to be allowed out.

It's just like in the old days in Oz - Back to a penal colony
Old 07-01-2021, 05:01   #9
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Entry to Thailand by boat is about usd$2400 plus 24 days at a dedicated quarantine anchorage.

Jeeze $2400 and 24 Days - Seems a bit steep

Hopefully things will change, otherwise its back to the East Coast for a while for me.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:15   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Jeeze $2400 and 24 Days - Seems a bit steep

Hopefully things will change, otherwise its back to the East Coast for a while for me.
Typo, 14 days quarantine.
The scheme is aimed at superyachts. Most cruisers are taking a wait and see, unless they really need to get in.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:51   #11
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Typo, 14 days quarantine.
The scheme is aimed at superyachts. Most cruisers are taking a wait and see, unless they really need to get in.

Well I have time, so I will play that game too
Old 07-01-2021, 06:59   #12

Quote:
-Thailand is now open,.....
Is this in reference to arriving by boat?

My understanding is you can get a visa to Thailand and fly in right now but there is a mandatory 14day quarantine in specific govt qualified hotels. You are literally locked in your room for 14 days and they bring in your meals. All at very expensive (by Thai standards) prices. ($2-3k USD per person for modest hotels).

I've seen a couple of youtube videos of people doing it and it's not like in the western countries where they are trusting you to stay isolated if you quarantine. They have people actually watching.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:55   #13

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Is this in reference to arriving by boat?

My understanding is you can get a visa to Thailand and fly in right now but there is a mandatory 14day quarantine in specific govt qualified hotels. You are literally locked in your room for 14 days and they bring in your meals. All at very expensive (by Thai standards) prices. ($2-3k USD per person for modest hotels).

I've seen a couple of youtube videos of people doing it and it's not like in the western countries where they are trusting you to stay isolated if you quarantine. They have people actually watching.
It is quarantine, what else would you expect? What you describe is certainly how it works in New Zealand. Everything is brought to your room where you remain for the 14 days.

Very strict, and facilities managed and patrolled by the Army, special non-stop buses take people arriving at border direct to assigned quarantine facility.

Anyone who 'escapes' faces serious legal consequences. 14 day residence costs NZ $3,100 for a single person, but free for qualifying returning Kiwis.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
It is quarantine, what else would you expect? What you describe is certainly how it works in New Zealand. Everything is brought to your room where you remain for the 14 days.

Very strict, and facilities managed and patrolled by the Army, special non-stop buses take people arriving at border direct to assigned quarantine facility.

Anyone who 'escapes' faces serious legal consequences. 14 day residence costs NZ $3,100 for a single person, but free for qualifying returning Kiwis.
NZ is a special case, largely being shut down to the outside world on a distant isolated island.

In much of the world, you are told to quarantine on arrival but the checks are sketchy or non-existent. Many countries allow you to quarantine at your residence with no direct oversight. So clarifying that they are strictly enforcing at official facilities is an important point to someone who may be thinking they can just slip out for a bit of fun and frivolity then get back to their hotel room in time for the next quarantine check.

For a comparable: I saw an article a week ago where a resort in the Alps was put under quarantine and within 2 days, they lost several hundred quarantinees who took advantage of lax rules and simply walked away.

As far as pricing, $3100NZ works out to around $2200USD.
- Given the general costs in NZ, That's about $155/n for 14 days. I assume NZ hotel prices are similar to the US, where a basic midlevel hotel (nothing fancy) might run $120/n. Add in a few meals, tests and that's a pretty reasonable cost that wouldn't shock regular visitors to NZ.
- In Thailand the prices are typically much lower. You can get a nice midlevel hotel for $30-40/n. Last time we were in Bangkok, we got a nice 1 bedroom apartment in an upscale high rise for $25/n. If you do street food and food courts, you can eat for $2-3/meal (and it's great food). Even if you go to more western sit down places, you can easily stay under $10/meal. By comparison the meals at the quarantine hotels, looked pretty horrid and at least for the youtubes I saw, there was no option to order outside food because they were worried about breaking quarantine (didn't make sense but they couldn't get other food)

I'm not suggesting the Thai hotels are abusing the situation. I'm sure they have costs associated with getting govt approvals, testing, extra staff to make sure you don't escape...etc... But for someone familiar with typical pricing, it's a bit of a shock to be prepared for.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:01   #15

I fly to Taipei regularly these days. Mandatory Covid test prior to departure and quarantine upon arrival.

Having done this for awhile.....I can strongly state that quarantine SUCKS! Fortunately, in my case, I have a room service menu and the food is acceptable. Food is placed on a small table outside the door and after the "knock" by the time you open the door there is nobody in sight. You are considered a LEPER and treated as such.

Just imagine being locked in your bedroom for TWO weeks, no fresh air, no gym, no walk, nothing. Time passes slowly. I would hope that a "couple" can quarantine in the same room. That would make life a whole lot better. Personally I would bring a copy of the Kama Sutra with the goal of completing ALL the positions.

Point being, I would AVOID quarantine at all costs. If that means waiting to be vaccinated, so be it.

Tags
Asia