Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2019, 13:13   #1

Boat: Manta Mk1 42 ft
SCUBA primary hose sought

HI Guys

sorry if this is in the wrong category but I didn't know where to post. I am seeking a supplier (or second hand if anyone has one) of a primary hose (Tank to Regulator) of around 8-10 meters in length. The purpose is to allow me to clean my boat hull without gearing up in full scuba and can have the tank on the deck whilst cleaning. I can access in New Zealand but it is very costly locally and I wondered if anyone had either an unused or no longer needed hose or alternatively knowledge of a good supplier I could get in touch with.

Many thanks

tony
Elaine and Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 13:22   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: SCUBA primary hose sought

https://www.titantool.com/3300-psi-airless-hose.html

3300 psi hose, price unknown

pressure washer hose is 3000 psi
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 13:23   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You're not using it for deep diving, so why not have a hose made up by your local pneumatics shop?
Old 29-12-2019, 13:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
You're not using it for deep diving, so why not have a hose made up by your local pneumatics shop?
I hadn't actually thought about that, I just went for the specific scuba hose. I wont be more than 2 meters deep at any time. We have a hydraulic workshop close by, Ill give them a call - thank you
Old 29-12-2019, 13:32   #5

Boat: Lancer 27PS

I have read, but only read, that some places like Harbor Freight and others have air hoses that can be used. But I have also read that hoses not specifically for scuba can introduce contaminants to your lungs. Again, read, but no experience. I would love to have a 30 footer for my tank to clean my boat.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 13:51   #6

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Brownie (the hooka people) sell a hose with two quick disconnect ends and fittings to connect between the first and second stages of the regulator. You can buy the middle section in various lengths, 25 ft increments.

Been using one for years to scrub my bottom (more specifically my boat bottom).
Tank stays in the laz.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 13:57   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I made one up like you describe with just cheap reinforced vinyl hose between the first stage regulator on the tank and the second stage in my mouth. I think the pressure out of the first stage is only about 100 psi.
Old 29-12-2019, 14:02   #8
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Hola,

Frankly is on it! I also use brownies gear, as well as their hookah compressors for my shallow water work. If you want an even more reasonable price on good quality equipment check out Keene Engineering as they make and sell equipment for dredge mining. When I used to teach gold dredge divers in Alaska this is predominantly what they used. High quality gear, very rugged and reasonable prices.......at least shipped to the USA.

You are about a year too late as I had a brand new 30 foot long Keene low pressure hose sitting in my shop for years but finally sold it last summer or I would have given it to you for the cost of shipping.

Good luck in your search.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 14:10   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

IP or intermediate pressure is usually about 150 PSI but will vary a little by manufacturer.
There are many “Hooka” hoses available, ideally you want a swivel as it will twist annoyingly without one and a belt that it attaches to so your not dragging 30’ of hose around with just the mouthpiece.
There are many available, I have a 50’ one, which is a mistake, too much hose is a pain, 30’ or even 25’ would be much better.
A quick google for scuba hooka hose will find many.

But you really do want to use a hose meant or certified for breathing air, and if not a SCUBA tank, an airless compressor. Your lungs can be easily damaged by oil mist and or whatever may be in a hose not meant for breathing air.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 14:31   #10

Thanks for all of the replies - I will go for the hooka hose and arrange it now

cheers
Old 29-12-2019, 14:40   #11

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

A "food safe" renforced hose would probably suffice. The loose fittings to fit the regulator are sometimes difficult to find.

Handling even 25 ft with the ends can be a PITA. This is where the Brownie quick disconnect fittings shine. Also if you need to quickly switch back to regular scuba setup then just snap the two short sections together.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 14:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
A "food safe" renforced hose would probably suffice. The loose fittings to fit the regulator are sometimes difficult to find.

Handling even 25 ft with the ends can be a PITA. This is where the Brownie quick disconnect fittings shine. Also if you need to quickly switch back to regular scuba setup then just snap the two short sections together.

Frankly
Thanks for that. I tried to order via Brownie but it seems they don't export to New Zealand so I went with another supplier. It probably wont be as good in terms of the fittings but at least it will give me the length I need

cheers
Old 29-12-2019, 15:16   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine and Tony View Post
Thanks for that. I tried to order via Brownie but it seems they don't export to New Zealand so I went with another supplier. It probably wont be as good in terms of the fittings but at least it will give me the length I need

cheers
Hi, here in Aus, the hose of choice used to be Barfell, teflon lined air breathing hose to the relevant standard but there are a number of similar hose suppliers out there. Use only one that is designed for breathing air supply. The working pressure will only be to a max of around 150 psi. The fittings are readily available from a pneumatic hose supply business, at least here in sydney.
Former commercial diver here.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 16:00   #14

The 1st stage (the thingy that attaches to the tank valve) can be adjusted to deliver less than 100 psi - a garden hose can handle that. Getting hold of the “correct” fittings is the fly in the ointment. A clever yachtsman can probably cobble something together that functions.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 16:04   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
The 1st stage (the thingy that attaches to the tank valve) can be adjusted to deliver less than 100 psi - a garden hose can handle that. Getting hold of the “correct” fittings is the fly in the ointment. A clever yachtsman can probably cobble something together that functions.
That’s called the IP or intermediate pressure, if you reduce it significantly, then you also need to adjust the second stage reg to operate at the lower IP or it will be tough to breathe, many second stages can’t be adjusted much.
There are low pressure second stages meant for Hooka’s, I bought one, it was absolute junk.
Instead I adjusted one of my Dive rite regs to work at 100 PSI that my compressor can make. The Dive rite is a decent reg and can be adjusted that low.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, scuba