Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 04:44   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Scooping Freshwater

I just read in a "Things I Wished I Knew Before Starting Sailing" book on interest. It was that to extend your fresh water supply you can scoop fresh water off the top of the ocean after a rain because the seawater is denser so the fresh water floats on top.

Guess it is something to consider when you have been in the life raft a few weeks, but overall I now remember why I stopped reading sailing books!

BUT JUST IN CASE - has anyone tried this (just curious really)
Old 08-06-2015, 04:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Scooping Freshwater

Never even heard of it before, much less tried it. I think it would take a hell of a rain and a very, very calm sea for that to have a chance of working.

I have read that ships used to take on fresh water off the coast of Florida where fresh water springs discharged off shore There are still a number of springs on land that discharge millions of gallons of fresh water per day but since the aquifer has been pumped down I only know a couple that discharge into the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:03   #3
cruiser

I doesn't seem possible, the rain would agitate the the surface mixing the two solutions. Like you said, I'd have to be pretty thirsty in a life raft and delirious to try it. Sounds like something for "Myth Busters."

While we're on the fresh water topic, do you have plans to add a watermaker before you head out cruising full time?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 14:30   #4
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Never even heard of it before, much less tried it.
But I read it in a book, it must be right!
Old 08-06-2015, 14:38   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
But I read it in a book, it must be right!
Not necessarily true was it on the internet if so it has to be true they don't lie on there
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 14:41   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I think I need a bigger scoop…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 15:50   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Unless it was a real downpour can't see there being enough freshwater layer to scoop. Would need 6" or more of rain in a very short period of time and flat seas for a layer to remain stable.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 15:55   #8

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Unless it was a real downpour can't see there being enough freshwater layer to scoop. Would need 6" or more of rain in a very short period of time and flat seas for a layer to remain stable.
And a 6" rain event is inconsistent with calm seas, and if you're in a 6" rain event, just open your mouth, don't need a scoop.

Busted, I think.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 15:02   #9
CLOD

I'm still reading that book (I read it at the proper place for it's wisdom). Today I came to another item where he once again mentioned the scooping fresh water thing.

So that's twice in a book, must be doubly right
Old 19-06-2015, 16:02   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I doesn't seem possible, the rain would agitate the the surface mixing the two solutions. Like you said, I'd have to be pretty thirsty in a life raft and delirious to try it. Sounds like something for "Myth Busters."

While we're on the fresh water topic, do you have plans to add a watermaker before you head out cruising full time?

Sounds like something to keep in mind for life raft survival. The mixing could be minimal and with scooping you need only pull off the top fraction of an inch. Also, you do not need pure fresh water in a survival situation, just water with the PSU (salinity) down enough not to kill you or destroy your kidneys. (water intake needs to be less salty than your urine so that you can rid yourself of the excess salt too)

In terms of mixing we do modeling of the Columbia River where I work and see the salt wedge come 20 plus miles up the river with minimal mixing. Of course the fresh water flows out over the ocean for many miles.

Take a look here: Daily Forecasts | Center for Coastal Margin Observation & Prediction

If nothing else you might be able to place a cloth on the surface and soak up some water in a rain.

desperate measures for sure....

Click on the transects to see the salt wedge cross sections along the channel to see the minimal mixing..

Here: http://www.stccmop.org/datamart/virt...&slice=channel
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 16:12   #11
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Interesting. Says here we can survive on a 2:1 mix of fresh to sea water, and live happily on 10:1, if I understand it.

How Much Seawater Can You Safely Drink? - survival | Ask MetaFilter

Could certainly stretch limited supplies, knowing this. Maybe throw one of these in the ditch bag
Amazon.com : Instant Ocean SeaTest Hydrometer : Aquarium Hydrometers : Pet Supplies

Could have a little sundown mixing ceremony.

Tags
water