Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 13:34   #31

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBellies View Post
I haven't ever purchased fuel at a marina. Mostly because it's usually 10 cents per gallon more than getting it at the corner mom and pop. I'm up to 4 jerry cans on my bike. Good exercise.

I agree! But be careful with 4 jerry cans....that could be quite a fireball if you wipe out.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 13:45   #32

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I agree! But be careful with 4 jerry cans....that could be quite a fireball if you wipe out.
Yes and don't plan on peddling past any Airports...you may get some attention you didn't count on...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 14:02   #33

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
OK That was a totally farcical post. The aux in my Albin gave up years ago, was removed. I sail with a 1974 Evinrude Fisherman 6. It gets me out of my slip and out into the Chesapeake. I bought 6 gallons of gas last Spring and took almost a gallon of it to the recycler this Spring. Absolute fact. I kind of prefer sailing over motoring.

In truth I have several boats and didn't pay much, if anything, for any of them. So I guess I am cheap.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 14:09   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
One place a motor trawler is much more welcome than a sailboat is at a marina! It's because the motor trawler will inevitably drop $1000 or more for fuel at each stop whereas the sailboat will probably spend less than $100, if any.

-Dave
Well, yes, but staying in the marina is out of our pay-grade, I think. I rather like the suggestion of jerry cans on the bike!
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 14:59   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
The original header was "Sailors Are Cheap"
Are they better boaters? For the most part that's an easy yes.
In my business I work with both. Sorry guys, for the most part sailors are cheap compared to power boaters. Doesn't make them bad people, I'm one myself, but given a call to do work on a 46' sail boat or a 46' power boat the odds are greater that you'll make more money on the power boat. The vast majority of sailors have tools in their tool boxes. Power boaters have a check book in their tool boxes. For the most part sailors will maintain their systems better and power boaters will let their systems go to sh.., usually through lack of care or ignorance. These assessments are just mine, garnered from the time I've worked in the Marine industry and the many people I know in the industry. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Also, small boats, bass boats, Sun Fish, etc. just don't figure into this equation, nor do mega powerboats and mega sailboats.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 19:14   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bash?
" And when I'm sailing, I'm in zero emissions mode. " Are you using hand-grown organic cotton sails, or those newfangled synthetic DACRON ones that indeed do cause emissions and consume power when they are manufactured?
I'd suggest you are in "deferred emissions" mode when sailing, not zero emissions at all.

I'm amazed to hear that sailors drop into an anchorage and then fire up the dink. I prefer to set the hook and enjoy the quiet. And I pour with a more generous wrist than most bartenders I know. (Hey, if you've got to GET UP to pour a second round, it means the glasses weren't big enough in the first place!)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 19:33   #37

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
What do you call this one we saw in April?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4210018.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	15887  
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 19:39   #38

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
It is a "storm boat" - one that was probably wrecked in a hurricane or other storm and lost it mast. You can get them for pennies on the dollar and use them as a coastal power boats or a live-a-board that never goes anywhere. You will find them all over the parts of the world where storms "wreck" boats and restoring them back to sailing conditions is not worth it.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 19:47   #39

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
They were going somewhere.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 21:14   #40

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Well, at least he's keeping the anchor from drying out and getting all wrinkled.

-Sven
Old 04-05-2010, 22:17   #41

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Cruising on 500.00 per month?.........

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:04   #42

Boat: grampian 26
Mega power boat= floating gin palace. Most can't afford the fuel to get to the pump out station.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:46   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Well, at least he's keeping the anchor from drying out and getting all wrinkled.

-Sven

We hate ironing the anchor!
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:26   #44

Boat: Catalina 34MKII
I think that Brian nailed it. You are a good neighbor/seaman/person....or you are not! Really has nothing to do with whether you are a sailboat/powerboat. Differnet strokes for different folks. I have met some really fabulous power boaters as well as sailors. I have met some real idiot power boaters and sailors.

As to the reputation of cheap...I think that sailors spend more frugally because in most instances they do more of their own maintenance. Easier to do to keep you busy while you sail along at 6 kts. Not a good idea at thirty knots.

I often hear that sailors are cheap and SeaRay ( insert any powerboat name) owners are ass holes. As I own one of each plus a SeaDoo that makes me??????? I think a cheap ******* plus whatever adjective comes with the SeaDoo. Works for me. I have seen good and bad operators on all of the above. At times I was probably that good and bad operator. Like to think more to the good side.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:43   #45
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
deferred emmisions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Bash?
Are you using hand-grown organic cotton sails, or those newfangled synthetic DACRON ones that indeed do cause emissions and consume power when they are manufactured?
I'd suggest you are in "deferred emissions" mode when sailing, not zero emissions at all.
While I understand the concept, there are other ways to crack that nut than hand-grown sails. The question becomes, "how many carbon credits does it take to offset a 500 square foot dacron mainsail?"