Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2016, 15:43   #121

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Sailing very dangerous--for the elderly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I did not said that I would not keep sailing sometimes with some days out of any urgent medical care . I was only stating the obvious regarding the subject of this thread and the health risks.

That is true that an active live improves health but you don't have to do that days away of medical care: You can run, do bicycle and a huge amount of other moderate physical activities without being days away from medical care.

So yes, offshore sailing for the elderly (over 65) increases the health risks. To each one to weight the pleasure, advantages and disadvantages. It is a personal decision. Everybody knows that tobacco, obesity and a sedentary life increases health risks and many opt to continue to smoke to eat gourmet like and to seat long hours in front of the TV.

Not trying in any way to limit the choice of live or issue any judgment regarding different choices.
I think there is something amiss with the way your writing this. Sailing 'off shore' can in no way 'increase health risk'. That's not true at all. And the fact that you linked it with activities that definately DO disadvantages health such as tobacco use, obesity etc, says to me that you are in fact expressing your point 'in writing' wrongly. In fact it's the opposite, travelling off sure away from pollution's and stresses of populated life probably is a benefit to health.

It is true, that sailing off sure for the elderly adds a further element of 'risk' for the reasons you have stated. But it is in no way 'unhealthy' to sail off sure. And is in fact most likely a much more healthy activity, especially for the elderly.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 15:49   #122

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
It is true, that sailing off sure for the elderly adds a further element of 'risk' for the reasons you have stated. But it is in no way 'unhealthy' to sail off sure. And is in fact most likely a much more healthy activity, especially for the elderly. Rustic Charm
Nicely said, RC. It does keep one moving. Even gets you away from the computer.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 17-06-2016, 18:31   #123

Often people even lose weight making long passages offshore (3 weeks or so) because it takes lots of muscle movement just "trying" to stay in one spot. You are constantly moving when passage making and it's a good workout for elderly sailors. I understand Polux's views, yes for sure if you have a heart attack in the middle of the ocean, it's likely your ass is grass but the same thing could happen on a fishing trip in the backwoods so it is based on each individual and their personal views on acceptable risk tolerances.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 20:48   #124

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Boy, I don't know but a Nonsuch, or a Freedom or a junk rig is a pretty gentle way to keep sailing into the older years, even singlehanding, no?
I was turned off by the Nonsuch type rigs because of Windsurfers (I ultimately liked the sport, but with other brands), but junks are OK. A fact, but just a personal one.
Old 17-06-2016, 22:55   #125

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Often people even lose weight making long passages offshore (3 weeks or so) because it takes lots of muscle movement just "trying" to stay in one spot. You are constantly moving when passage making and it's a good workout for elderly sailors. I understand Polux's views, yes for sure if you have a heart attack in the middle of the ocean, it's likely your ass is grass but the same thing could happen on a fishing trip in the backwoods so it is based on each individual and their personal views on acceptable risk tolerances.
Gotta re-enter here.

My annual cruising routine is to leave the sub tropical Great Sandy Straits area around about April (usually when I have to go in search of a blanket) slowly cruise my way north to nicely tropical Cairns and hang about there until the northerly winds start late October (and cyclones threaten) and then cruise my way south again arriving GSS some time in January.

During the January to April period in calm water my old body starts to slowly seize up and when I start north again I have problems moving about the boat and aches and pains all over. It takes about two to three weeks until I free up again and am moving easily about the boat.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if I stopped cruising and took the arm chair/TV route that I would slowly mummify until one day it worked it's way into my heart and it would quit beating.

Once you reach geriatric-hood she's cruise or die mate.

I'm gunna misuse statistics here and state that statistically far more old people die in beds ashore than die on cruising boats therefor cruising on a boat must be a safer existence than living ashore.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 23:54   #126

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Everyday I have to take the highway to work. The speed limit is posted as 65 but 80 is the norm. 15,000 cars hurtling down the road at 80 mph. 15,000 people travelling too close, exceeding the speed limit, not signaling for lane changes, talkjng on the their phones (some texting), and because marajuana is legal here, some are high and some just drunk.
Ive been lucky to date. But I cant see how sticking to land to be closer to medical professionals increases my odds for better heath in any way.
Life is stressful here. The packed roads and bad driving would seem to increase your odds of injury or death, not to mention delaying the arrival of medical professionals in the event of accident.
AND one has to be on those roads to get to doctors appointments.
This increases your stress, so you have to schedule down time to participate in stress releaving activities like sports, hobbies, yoga, which require you to jump on the roads that are partially responsible for all that stress. Stress that is contributing to hypertension, heart attack, strokes, poor immune system responses, blah blah blah, leading to more doctors visits....

Yikes!
Old 18-06-2016, 00:11   #127

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Everyday I have to take the highway to work. The speed limit is posted as 65 but 80 is the norm. 15,000 cars hurtling down the road at 80 mph. 15,000 people travelling too close, exceeding the speed limit, not signaling for lane changes, talkjng on the their phones (some texting), and because marajuana is legal here, some are high and some just drunk.
Ive been lucky to date. But I cant see how sticking to land to be closer to medical professionals increases my odds for better heath in any way.
Life is stressful here. The packed roads and bad driving would seem to increase your odds of injury or death, not to mention delaying the arrival of medical professionals in the event of accident.
AND one has to be on those roads to get to doctors appointments.
This increases your stress, so you have to schedule down time to participate in stress releaving activities like sports, hobbies, yoga, which require you to jump on the roads that are partially responsible for all that stress. Stress that is contributing to hypertension, heart attack, strokes, poor immune system responses, blah blah blah, leading to more doctors visits....

Yikes!
yeah, which is why I'd rather be sailing
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
danger, sail, sailing