Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 06:41   #16

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35
Re: Sailing to Cuba from Ft Myers, FL

I found this article that was from april 2018 in Forbes.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexand.../#27bd710c378d

It talks about the "support the people" category. It looks as though this is the way to go. The group I referenced earlier, viaHero, provides the itinerary that will conform to the "support the people" category and provide the documentation needed to prove it upon re-entry. The "people to people" category is no longer a category. If anyone knows differently, please post. I'm too handsome to go to jail....
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 20:03   #17

Boat: Baba 40

See if there’s a rally or race from <insert US port> to Cuba.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 07:29   #18

There’s a race from key west to Cuba in the first month on May.
jwillis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 08:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Join this facebook group and buy Addison Chan's book Waterways Guide to Cuba

Also keep in mind that Cuba is changing and what is true today may not be true in May.
Excellent advice..!
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 08:53   #20

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35

Just a quick update:
I submitted my form to the Coast Guard under the "Support for the Cuban People" category. I used a service called viaHero to put together an itinerary that satisfied the requirements for that category. The CG asked for the itinerary; upon receiving it they replied it was being forwarded for approval. Most of the rest of the paperwork happens when you arrive in Cuba; you purchase your visa, health insurance, and other fees right there. I haven't heard of any issues clearing back through the US; just expect them to ask questions and do their job and don't be offended if they come off suspicious.

By the way, the service from viaHero so far has been great and they put together an awesome itinerary. I researched each item to "verify" and they all came back top rated. Saved me tons of time and anxiety over the US visitation requirements.

In preparation I have joined the facebook group that one of you suggested, obtained the cruising guide, purchased Cuban charts (both electronic and paper), and watched a lot of youTube videos. I am not worried about clearing in and out of Cuba/US; my anxieties are really about weather. I've been in bad seas, but I prefer to avoid that if possible. I've also been really going through the boat to ensure it is as safe as possible and is mechanically solid. It's made some good sails to Key West, but crossing the Gulf Stream is certainly more challenging.

Thanks for all the input; it is very helpful and encouraging! Rich
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 10:37   #21

Boat: N/A - In my dreams

I'm looking to sail with someone to Cuba too! End of May early June?? Have ASA through 104, but not much real experience....may be good crew member. What is best way to contact for more info exchange??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfessor View Post
Hi,
I'm hoping to pull from the combined wisdom of this group. I'm looking to sail to Cuba from Ft Myers, FL via a stop at Key West. I'll be sailing a C&C 43' landfall mono. I looking to do this come May. Given typical weather, winds, and the gulf stream, is May a good month to make the trip? I'm looking at May as this seems to be what works for people's schedule, but if this time is not good/safe, I would explore other options. Just looking to sail into Hemmingway Marina and then explore the island by land for 3-4 days since we don't have an extended time to sail around the island. Any thoughts are welcome. If there is a thread on this already, please direct me. Also, any tips, comments, etc. on sailing to Cuba would be most welcome. Thanks! Rich
BlueGlobe601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, sail, sailing