Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2018, 06:50   #31

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Sailing Shoes ?

The answer for me is it depends. I have an arsenal of footwear that gets employed based on the boat and the conditions:

- Barefoot. On my boat only, in benign conditions. I seem to have enough body/muscle memory developed for my boat that I never stub a bare toe.

- Sanduks. I love these things. They're like slippers but offer just enough foot protection and they are easy to slip on and off. Dry out quickly.

-Tevas. If it's wet and warm but mostly benign, I'm wearing these. Not something I want to be racing around the boat deck with if things are a bit moe chaotic however.

- Sperry canvas shoes. I grew up wearing Sperrys but now consider them to be overpriced junk and am wearing out the last pair I bought. The soles lose whatever traction they have in less than a year, the exception however are:

- Sperry racing shoes. If I'm racing or conditions require a shoe that offers protection, fierce grip, and that dry out quickly I wear these. They are expensive and the soles are soft and wear out fast, so I literally only put them on when I need them and never wear them on land.

- L.L. Bean insulated hunting shoes. In winter or cold, I love these. Surprisingly good grip on deck, warm, not marking.

- Chucks. A good all-around boat shoe.

Two I'm not wild about:

Crocs are great because they are go-anywhere and don't absorb water but I've never found them comfortable.

Keens mark up my boat. They are not allowed on it. Maybe they've changed the sole material but I had a pair that were specifically touted as non-marking but they were not.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 07:53   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Got some Colombia PFG and did not think I would like them - LOVE THEM - on my second pair - long life, comfortable, non slide - just wish I did not such a tough time finding them over here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1876.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	168088   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1879.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	168089  

chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 08:37   #33

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

ill second racquetball (court) shoes. when ive worn out a pair on the court they get promoted to my sailing bag where they happily serve for a couple more years. harrow vortex are my choice... the gum-rubber soles have great grip even when wet, the uppers are mostly mess, supper light and really last.
my .02
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 10:28   #34

Boat: Al Mason 33 steel cutter

The Keen's are non-marking. Anyone (ladies) tried the Elsa's yet? Got them this christmas and can't wait to try them out. Keen's also offer a good arch support. Although after 5+ years of swimming with them as well as general use the cement holding the rubber on finally gave way and had to have them repaired. I'm such a cheap date.

Melinda
svRaven
48d north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 14:05   #35
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post

Oddly, I find it is the shoe wearers who randomly snag their feet on things and the barefoot folks who very rarely do. Perhaps going barefoot sharpens awareness....wouldn't be the least surprised....or perhaps habitual unawareness makes them wary of going barefoot.
Interesting. I worked with a sailing club for years and we get out a LOT and sail a lot of different boats with a lot of different instructors and students. We go out in all weather and conditions and put the boats through their paces and almost everyone who sails with us wears shoes although we do not require it. A couple of summers ago I logged 113 unique 3-hour training sails as either lead or co-lead/helper training everyone from advanced students to raw newbies.

Yes, I have stubbed my toes pretty bad at times even with good shoes on, scrambling around the foredeck changing sails and instructing others. I've also gotten my toes smashed by others who stomped on them accidentally trying to keep their footing on a rolling deck in heavy weather. I think the worst was in the cockpit during a fast and just barely-controlled jibe when the helmsman was scrambling around the tiller to the high side. Guy was pretty heavy too, and when you have 6-7 people crammed into the cockpit of a 30-foot boat that is heeling pretty hard with 2 reefs in stuff like that happens. Fingers get smashed too. Gloves are a good idea with people moving around changing sailing positions on a training boat. Swapping jib trimmers with helmsman and mainsheet/traveller people can be quite the fire drill.

I've had to pull out the first-aid kit more than once to render aid to foot and hand injuries when the footwear and gloves of students wasn't quite up to the task. Open-toed shoes are not a good idea unless you are just hanging around motor-sailing or cruising with just the foresail in nice weather IMHO. But in the end they are your toes and your feet I guess. This is why we make everyone sign a waiver when they join the club and advise everyone about protecting their digits. If someone insists on letting their piggies hang out in Stompland that's their own business.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 16:21   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Interesting. I worked with a sailing club for years and we get out a LOT and sail a lot of different boats with a lot of different instructors and students. We go out in all weather and conditions and put the boats through their paces and almost everyone who sails with us wears shoes although we do not require it. A couple of summers ago I logged 113 unique 3-hour training sails as either lead or co-lead/helper training everyone from advanced students to raw newbies.

Yes, I have stubbed my toes pretty bad at times even with good shoes on, scrambling around the foredeck changing sails and instructing others. I've also gotten my toes smashed by others who stomped on them accidentally trying to keep their footing on a rolling deck in heavy weather. I think the worst was in the cockpit during a fast and just barely-controlled jibe when the helmsman was scrambling around the tiller to the high side. Guy was pretty heavy too, and when you have 6-7 people crammed into the cockpit of a 30-foot boat that is heeling pretty hard with 2 reefs in stuff like that happens. Fingers get smashed too. Gloves are a good idea with people moving around changing sailing positions on a training boat. Swapping jib trimmers with helmsman and mainsheet/traveller people can be quite the fire drill.

I've had to pull out the first-aid kit more than once to render aid to foot and hand injuries when the footwear and gloves of students wasn't quite up to the task. Open-toed shoes are not a good idea unless you are just hanging around motor-sailing or cruising with just the foresail in nice weather IMHO. But in the end they are your toes and your feet I guess. This is why we make everyone sign a waiver when they join the club and advise everyone about protecting their digits. If someone insists on letting their piggies hang out in Stompland that's their own business.

All very, very good points! And a great example of how circumstances can be different and therefore, so can be solutions. When I was sailing a boat that size, I was almost always sailing singlehanded, so it was just a matter of not snagging a toe, myself, as opposed to being at the mercy of other folks. Now, although it's not unusual for me to do 110 days of charter in a season (24 hours), with a maximum of 8 onboard, it's on a 45 foot catamaran. It's much more stable than a 30 ft. monohull (!!), and much roomier, as well. So once again, we are not butting up against one another and tumbling around in a small cockpit. Much of my business is instruction, so I have plenty of novices aboard, but the sailing stations are far apart.

Thanks for reminding me that this is not always the case!

Interestingly, I ALWAYS used to use gloves on the smaller monohull. With the bigger lines on the cat, and the resulting better grip, even with the much higher loads, I don't even own a pair of gloves, anymore.

Again, a significantly different circumstance, allowing for a different approach.

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 16:23   #37

Quote:

Oddly, I find it is the shoe wearers who randomly snag their feet on things and the barefoot folks who very rarely do. Perhaps going barefoot sharpens awareness....wouldn't be the least surprised....or perhaps habitual unawareness makes them wary of going barefoot.
Or perhaps it's just a matter of time for your toes. How do you think the former barefoot people came to decide to wear those shoes?
You can drive drunk a long time and not get caught, You can scuba dive alone too, It's that one time that's a problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 16:26   #38

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

I've had to remove a fish hook from a barefooted someone's foot.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 05:09   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Or perhaps it's just a matter of time for your toes. How do you think the former barefoot people came to decide to wear those shoes?
You can drive drunk a long time and not get caught, You can scuba dive alone too, It's that one time that's a problem.

Well, it's been almost forty years.......as I said, those who wear don't understand those who don't, and those who don't wear, don't understand those who do
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 06:20   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Sailing Shoes ?

On my boat barefoot or delivery footwear.

On Charters, Sperry Gold Cups- they look “captainy”. I remove the stock inner soles and use the New Balance custom soles to cushion my knees.

On deliveries, Merrill approach shoes with NB inserts. The shoes are comfortable, good grip with non marking soles and I can add hiking socks to stay warm. If it is a long warm & blue water run, I go barefoot during the day.

If things get ugly or cold WM white boots.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 07:44   #41

Boat: in the works

For me it's preferably barefoot. I say preferably because that means it's a nice day out! I also have Sanuks and.. don't laugh, but I've found skateboard sneaker work awesome and can be worn everywhere. I've got a pair of Vans that actually look like they should be made by Sperry. I don't wear street shoes on the boat. I keep a couple pairs on board and thats where they stay.
jefjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 08:14   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
ok so in 63 years i have yet to go to shoes on deck.
fishhooks are caused by lazy care of equipment . put your fishing gear including all hooks away when not in use.
others--donot appear on short handed decks. there is rarely a time with "many folks milling around on deck" in short handed cruising, so that is nonissue.
breakage happens even on land. i have broken each and every toe at least once --played field hockey as a goalie in my high school years.. both varsity and jr varsity as i was able to play with broken toes. the varsity player was not. it is easy to wimp out due to pain. it is more challenging not to. yeah i busted a toe in gom on opb... just go with it. only thing do able with busted toes is tape em together. ok no issue.
i choose to remain shoeless and on my decks.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 21:24   #43
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
All very, very good points! And a great example of how circumstances can be different and therefore, so can be solutions. When I was sailing a boat that size, I was almost always sailing singlehanded, so it was just a matter of not snagging a toe, myself, as opposed to being at the mercy of other folks. Now, although it's not unusual for me to do 110 days of charter in a season (24 hours), with a maximum of 8 onboard, it's on a 45 foot catamaran. It's much more stable than a 30 ft. monohull (!!), and much roomier, as well. So once again, we are not butting up against one another and tumbling around in a small cockpit. Much of my business is instruction, so I have plenty of novices aboard, but the sailing stations are far apart.

Thanks for reminding me that this is not always the case!

Interestingly, I ALWAYS used to use gloves on the smaller monohull. With the bigger lines on the cat, and the resulting better grip, even with the much higher loads, I don't even own a pair of gloves, anymore.

Again, a significantly different circumstance, allowing for a different approach.

Cheers,
Tim
I'm a commercial electrician by trade and have spent many hours heaving on ropes pulling big wire into big pipe, sometimes with large crews feeding the wire off of the spools and a man or two on the chugger (basically a 120v heavy-duty windlass bolted to the ground or inside an electrical panel and a sheave or two to line up the rope) doing pulling duty at the other end.

Sometimes on smaller pulls we pull by hand with a few guys, and even smaller pulls in 1/2" -1" conduit we pull by hand with a metal fish tape. So my hands are callused like crazy from all of this, and I've done my all my stupid apprentice line-handling mistakes long ago with rope burns so it's been years since I really needed to wear gloves.

At this point I handle line instinctively so to protect my digits. Always work behind purchase, thumbs away from winches, and if a line gives just let it go. Don't try and save it 'cause you can't. It's not worth it. I've seen someone's hand degloved from a rope-mishap, it's not a pretty sight. But these days I rarely wear them on our own boat since we have oversized sheets too. I'll wear gloves around students sometimes as a good example or when it's stompy-crowded on deck or in the cockpit, and when it is cold out like anyone else would to keep their hands warm.

Shoes, I almost always wear them. In addition to all the rest of the reasons I went over above my wife and sailing partner is super clumsy. My natural reaction when she come over to hug me is to pull my feet back and out of the way. She's stepped on my feet by accident hundreds of times on land, no less on the boat...
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 21:53   #44

Boat: Tartan 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefjo View Post
For me it's preferably barefoot. I say preferably because that means it's a nice day out! I also have Sanuks and.. don't laugh, but I've found skateboard sneaker work awesome and can be worn everywhere. I've got a pair of Vans that actually look like they should be made by Sperry. I don't wear street shoes on the boat. I keep a couple pairs on board and thats where they stay.

Canvas Vans make great boat shoes.
bksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 21:53   #45

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

I like chuck taylor low tops if its a little chilly or feel like I need a some protection. They're non-marking and pretty grippy on anything other than gloss paint and mud Obviously, boots in rough weather.

Like many others, I'm into the barefoot thing. Haven't had too much trouble except a few stubs. I've broken the little toes at least half a dozen times wrestling or playing ball, but never on a boat. The only toe you really need is the big one. Didn't ladies used to get some of their little toes removed to better fit shoes at one time?

Also, the hygiene stuff. Cruising in bigger cities. We always leave our footwear in the dinghy. I get weirded out people's houses when they wear their street shoes inside and even put them on their furniture/upholstery. Different strokes.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing