Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 20:12   #16

Re: Sailing qualifications usefulness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We did the ASA courses and it provided us a base line from which to build. And without that little book and stamps we would have been thrown out of Montenegro and maybe Croatia.
You mean to say that a person coming from say Massachusetts where there is no specific "boat license" other than having on one's person a valid driver's license for ID purposes would be prohibited from landing? Or would Montenegro have to accept the MA driver license in lieu of "boating license"? I'd think some int'l treaty would cover such situation.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 20:34   #17
cruiser

Some people can learn from anyone, some people, not so much.

Here in Seattle, with US Sailing, I thought it was going to be a waste of time.

By lunch, I signed up for all the classes they had to offer.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 00:55   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
You mean to say that a person coming from say Massachusetts where there is no specific "boat license" other than having on one's person a valid driver's license for ID purposes would be prohibited from landing? Or would Montenegro have to accept the MA driver license in lieu of "boating license"? I'd think some int'l treaty would cover such situation.

that is exactly what i am saying. The ASA courses evidently showed that we were compendent in handling the boat. they could less that we did a 2 person atlantic crossing, they wanted the license or something like it.

if i did not have it we could not have stayed in Montenegro or probably Croatia but a guess on Croatia.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 03:32   #19

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Just lifted this from sailing wiki

Yachts arriving from S usually clear in at Bar (it is not possible to clear in at Ulcinj). From N, it is possible to clear in at Zelenika, Tivat or Kotor – the latter two after contacting the Zelenika authorities for permission (or at least standby on 16 in case they call you). Announce your arrival as early as possible to the harbourmaster on VHF16 and proceed directly for check-in. Not there is a speed limit restriction in the entire Kotor bay of 10 kts, and 6kts through the two smaller channels.
Required documentation for checking in with the harbourmaster:
The boat registration papers
The insurance documents (with third party insurance of at least Euros 800,000)
Proof of competence such as the ICC or equivalent
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 03:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing qualifications usefulness

If your staying in home waters the rest of your life and don't need them to sail in the US don't bother..
However if in the back of your mind is the dream to sail the world get some certification.. it only takes one grumpy official and 'His' interpretation to really mess up your life.
When you go sailing you don't expect to sink.. but I bet you take an LJ...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 10:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
it only takes one grumpy official and 'His' interpretation to really mess up your life.
Amen. Silly to take that chance.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 23:58   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Just lifted this from sailing wiki

The insurance documents (with third party insurance of at least Euros 800,000)
Proof of competence such as the ICC or equivalent
this may be a bit old. they required us to get 1,000,000 euro liability insurance. and that was july 2014.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 00:39   #23

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
this may be a bit old. they required us to get 1,000,000 euro liability insurance. and that was july 2014.
I mainly posted it because of the ICC reference.

A million in public liability is fairly normal now days. Even local Marina's here require it.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 01:15   #24
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I mainly posted it because of the ICC reference.

A million in public liability is fairly normal now days. Even local Marina's here require it.

Indeed it is. My insurance raised the limits recently for no charge. Public liability insurance is cheap
Dave
Old 16-04-2015, 07:55   #25

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Just like various professional certifications, Sailing Certification usefulness is really what you want to get out of it. Some employers want to see you have this or that certificate, some cruising areas require you to have this or that level of certificate or documented competency.

What a certificate does is set a _baseline standard_ of competency. The certificate says metaphorically..."I know at least this much".

I personally am chasing all the ASA certificates because I wish to open a sailing summer camp aboard a schooner. The certs allow me to demonstrate I have a standard level of competency to those parents who would want that bit of added assurance. I also am looking to partner with ASA as an instructor so I can teach sailing to these kids and give them recognized certificates for it, and perhaps be able to captain a cruise for their family next year or whatever. Additionally, there are no sailing schools in my area offering any of the advanced tickets. I'd like to be able to offer those, and the best way to do that is to be a certified instructor who has received the certificates myself. Of course, I am working on getting my Cpt license at the same time so I can have paying passengers.

So yeah after sailing nearly all my life (well at least before and after being married), I am taking ASA 101 in one month. My girlfriend is taking it too, and it will be fun to watch her learn to sail with confidence.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 08:46   #26

Out of curiosity, at what ASA level would you feel comfortable sailing into most countries and not being asked to leave due to lack of qualifications? Are they looking for the first two or three ASA classes or would they be looking for something more in the range of Advanced Coastal or Passagemaking? Or maybe even more advanced courses such as a USCG Captain/Master course? I'm not asking so much about what it takes to keep you safe out there, just wondering about what they are looking for in some of the more restrictive ports.
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 09:47   #27

ASA 106 has the coastal navigation, so I would try to get that.

But as others have already said this will only teach you the theory, not how to sail. The amount of sailing that you do during these ASA courses is minimal.

Actually the course that gave me the confidence to go out and charter sailyachts each year to do some sailing in the Med is a course that deals with controlling a sailboat under engine in confined spaces such as harbours. I still learn each year and become more and more confident with every year.

Still on my to do list is an offshore safety course and a diesel engine maintanance course.

Good luck
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 10:01   #28

I did the ASA 101 and 103 courses and I would do them again. I also did navigation in a classroom in the winter. (Not a bad thing to do when its raining and you cant sail). I enjoyed them thoroughly.

Over the 4 weekends, we spent half the time on the water, and in south san francisco bay in the summer, conditions were pretty demanding. Definitely a good start, and just enough experience to start daysailing on your own. Got to start somewhere.

I do worry about courses that combine 101 and 103 in a few days. You want as much experience as you can get, not as little as you can get away with.
Old 17-04-2015, 05:25   #29

My girlfriend has just done her RYA Day Skipper and is a much better sailor for it. I did mine a few years ago and I am a fan. Courses can be good at teaching you things you need to know, but may rarely experience or practice in normal day sailing. MOB procedures is a perfect example. How many people have done a MOB drill in the last 3 months? When did you last practice turning an inverted life raft up the right way, before climbing into it?

If you heard that your new neighbour in the marina had only been sailing half a dozen times, would you prefer that he had done a course which covered boat handling and berthing or would you be happy that he learnt from experience? If the latter, how much damage would you tolerate whilst he gained his experience?

There is a risk that having a certificate can lead to over confidence but in most cases it can start a new sailor on the right path with a good toolkit of skills... from which he can begin leaning to sail.
Bar Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 06:57   #30

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post
I meet people with Day Skipper Licence and other Mickey Mouse Qualifications who because they paid $1500 for a two day course think they are now competent sailors.

As long as you learn the Colregs (rules) I believe the best way to learn is cruising and racing on other peoples boats. And it takes years to learn enough to be a competent skipper and the learning never stops. Reading lots helps too.

Seen plenty of people with no experience whatsoever but lots of money buying boats and it always ends in disaster of some kind.

If you have money to throw away the courses will help a bit but experience and miles is what you really need.
After 50 years of sailing (I started at 4) I took Rya dayskipper just for the hell of it. I was surprised at what I didn't know and was happy to learn. Even obvious stuff like markers, (we don't have cardinals in our area) . The theory was 60 hours and the practical was a 5 day cruise out of Grenada.

Our skipper was younger than me with less experience but was excellent at teaching and helping to refine rusty skills.
Did I need the course no, am I glad I did it yes . I am a better skipper now than I was and am working toward yachtmaster because I want to.

Suggesting that taking training is a waste of effort is something that strikes me as strange when you also talk of lack of skills, not everyone has been as lucky as you me with access to other people's boats on which to learn.
I am quite proud of my "micky mouse day skipper ticket
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing