Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 17:48   #1

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)
Sailing Mystic CT to Montauk NY , best course?

From Mystic to Montauk, it seems you can either go around the east end of Fishers island or the head around the West. I'm in a 33 ft sailboat.

Going around East side there are a few passages, like Watch Hill and Wicopesset, Lords, etc. I've seen some comments about those, but my real question is what comes next? What's the water like between the East end of Fishers over to Lake Montauk, are there any turbulent waters, rip tides, etc. Seen a few places on the chart where there are some markings for that but it is unclear how far they extend.

Going west you also have to choose where to cross, going all the way to Plum gut seems too far. Can also just pass just to the east of Little gull, or in between little gull or greater gull island. All of these I think are longer than going around east of Fisher though.

Which is best, just choose based on the wind/currents for that day?
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 18:40   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Sailing Mystic CT to Montauk NY , best course?

Wind and tide will dictate which route makes sense. If you catch an outgoing tide at The Race it can be a fast passage....with a southwesterly wind it’s delightful.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 06:12   #3

Do you have a local cruising guide? That might be a helpful supplement outside of the charts.

Aside from Orion Jim's very astute reminders of wind and tide considerations, my dad always liked to stop at Watch Hill and go into some fancy hotel there for dinner. So... maybe not a straight shot, but with stops along the way...?

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 06:45   #4

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Which is best: Definitely south, throwing in a bit of west and east would certainly prove helpful, but north wouldn't be good.

You've answered the question yourself and it applies whether you're making a passage to Montauk or anywhere else: just choose based on the wind/currents for that day? Always bearing in mind that by adjusting your departure time, you can in part or whole dictate the tidal current effect.
Oh and if the wind's blowing a hooley and/or coming from due south, just go to New London or Stonnington instead and leave Montauk for another weekend.
Old 27-06-2020, 10:34   #5

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

listen to bobnlesley
I have sailed Montauk to Mystic numerous times single handed...went north...you go south
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 11:44   #6

Boat: O’Day 40

Watch your tides but Watch Hill & west side of Fishers Is are really nice. The Race lives up to its name if you’re out of sinc with tides but is a pussycat at slack.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 12:20   #7

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Pick up a copy of Eldridge’s, its the guide for New England/long island sound tides/currents...it comes out annually but I have never compared one year’s edition to the next...so possibly buy used for a few $$....otherwise new at about $17...timing thru the race is worth it...as my GPS hit 10 knots and my LWL is 27ft as Long Island sound “drained” thru the race....felt almost like I was on a powerboat! Don’t think it much matters whether east or west end of Fisher’s isl. never been to montauk, but agree with comments about watch hill, have always had excellent breeze thru there...Wind typically out of the southwest so going from mystic to montauk will be a test of how your boat goes to weather. But hey, sailing home should be excellent...Could potentially stop off at Greenport, LI too...excellent little town you can walk around in 1/2 day...town marina is 100 yds from Main Street. Enjoy
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 15:05   #8

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I’ve been through there a few times in sun and fog. If significant wind or current are against you The Race can be very messy. In fog Fishers Island Sound is entertaining.
As a previous poster said, Eldridges.
Eldridges, Eldridges, Eldridges. They have the present year’s tide and current tables and pilotage suggestions.
That’s a part of the Northeast US where you need to pay some attention to the tides and currents to effectively plan your passage. It’s not hard.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 15:23   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

simple answer - look at the current tables and the forecast wind, and highest priority is to avoid wind-against-current. Other than that, east of Fishers is the way to go. It avoids the worst effects of The Race and is generally less turbulent.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 18:01   #10

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Sailed that way multiple times last summer. I came from the Chesapeake and back, and cruised that whole area with my base at Brewer's yacht yard in mystic. Do not go around the West end of fishers island. It will take you out of your way.

Head out of mystic River and after you pass green 1 to Port, head approximately 90 degrees. You should be able to hoist the sail and sail this the entire way. It will be a straight shot and keep Latimer reef (lighthouse) to port and stay in the main channel. You will have no problem. Put napatree point and watch hill on your bow until you pick up red 6 off of napatree point. Stay on this course until you pass the Wicopesst reef green markers to starboard. Stay on course until those green markers are beyond your starboard quarter. At this point, you will see a red marker "2L". Come to starboard, keep that red marker to Port and you will then see a safe water mark dead ahead, on the other side of Lourdes passage. Head right for that safe watermark then you're in business! Then it's a straight shot south to Montauk.

if you want to, troll a number one or a double zero spoon with 3 oz of lead about 30 or 40 feet behind your boat and you will be catching fish.

Last thing, get yourself an Eldridge tide and pilot book. If you time leaving the mystic River correctly, you will get help from the tide not only from mystic River to watch Hill but then from Lourd's passage down to Montauk. You'll have a blast!

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 18:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Do you have a local cruising guide? That might be a helpful supplement outside of the charts.

Aside from Orion Jim's very astute reminders of wind and tide considerations, my dad always liked to stop at Watch Hill and go into some fancy hotel there for dinner. So... maybe not a straight shot, but with stops along the way...?

Warmly,
LittleWing77
Your Dad liked the Olympia Tea Room resturant, I do too.

My family used to own Stanton Weir Point on the Pawcatuck River, almost directly across from the cemetery and yacht club. Growing up in Old Mystic I sailed the local waters every chance I got. You have'nt lived until you've been 'fogged in' on Fishers Island Sound! Pucker factor off the scale, especially on the weekends!

Ben S gave you exactly the directions I would have written! My advice is once you sail North of Long Island Sound is to buy your vessel a copy of Eldridge and READ IT and use it as a DAILY reference while cruising New England. $17 bucks is CHEAP 'local knowledge' IMO.

Fishing is great past the Race!
Old 29-06-2020, 07:33   #12

Boat: Freedom 30

Pay close attention if you are going into Lake Montauk. The channel to the anchoring areas go around the perimeter of the lake and take a couple of sharp turns. We saw a couple boats that had run aground. Great spots to anchor and you can beach a dingy to the left of the split rail fence at the beach on the south side of the lake.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 07:56   #13

Going from Mystic around the West end of Fisher's Island will bring you through The Race. Tide can run fast and wind opposed tide it will stand-up there. It's also not the shortest route.

Watch Hill Pass is the most straightforward and widest, but it going a bit our out of your way.

Lord's Pass is marked on both sides with a Red/White channel marker.

I don't like Wicopessett. There is only a single green marker. The chart depths show 7 feet around the marker. A lot of boats run through there. I'd either take Lords or Watch Hill Pass.

If you're heading into Lake Montauk, when you pass the last marina on your right, look Right, don't skip the first set of day marks. You will go aground.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 14:29   #14

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Sailed that way multiple times last summer. I came from the Chesapeake and back, and cruised that whole area with my base at Brewer's yacht yard in mystic. Do not go around the West end of fishers island. It will take you out of your way.

Head out of mystic River and after you pass green 1 to Port, head ...
Thanks for the awesome detailed writeup. I'll give it a try.
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 15:18   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It's also not the shortest route.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing