Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 04:55   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Sailing Movies Recommendations

Capt. Ron first and foremost in fact if a person does not like capt Ron they should probably trade their sailboat for a jet ski. I also second Dove had to go on eBay to find that movie. I also bought his books Robin Lee Graham inspired a lot of people and although the movie is not super great (like Capt Ron) I still enjoyed it very much. One not mentioned here is Hide Away although there is not a lot of sailing the whole movie takes place on a sailboat. It is a little deeper movie about a guy who lost his family and buys this old run down sailboat and spends months bringing it back to life as he deals with his own loss.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 18:25   #32

I was checking on my parents today and they were watching "Death Valley Days". The episode had sailors in a bar fighting over a girl (imagine that) and some good shots of older sail boats. I only caught about the last 5 minutes of it and it was about a young Jack London. I googled it and came up with this:

Season 16, Episode 9 Prince of the Oyster Pirates
An incident in the life of Jack London is re-created in this drama about the San Francisco waterfront. London: Dennis Whitcomb. Mamie: Jane Zachary. French: Ken Mayer. Scratch: Ray Guth.
I tried to find it on Netflix but no luck. Anyone familiar with it?
Grasshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 19:44   #33

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424835812773.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	97865Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424835820153.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	97866Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424835828137.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	97867Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424835840435.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	97868
c3po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 18:24   #34

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Summer Rental.. with John Candy..

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 19:08   #35

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
No one has mentioned Morning Light, which is a documentary about a group of young sailors training for and competing in the Transpac. Pretty well done.
Thanks, Suijin, for the heads up. I'd not heard of Morning Light before.

None of the movie review sites treats it kindly. Rotten Tomatoes aggregates the critics to give it a 33% approval rating and the audience to give it a 52% approval rating (see Morning Light - Rotten Tomatoes). IMDB users, 277 of them, rate it at 5.8/10 and IMDB calculates a meta-score of 51/100 (see Morning Light (2008) - IMDb)

Harken's Australian website has some interesting tech info, including identifying the camera boat that sailed beside Morning Light during the Transpac (Cheyenne, renamed from Steve Fossett's Playstation) and that Morning Light was Disney's boat, formerly Steve Kahn's Pegasus (see Harken).

I found the 'tv reality show style' first act a bore.

The race footage was full of contradictions (e.g. are the crew cruising or racing? sometimes one (lots of sail trim, but even then only slight attention to the competition and tactics and never a mention of polars or target speeds for the wind conditions) most times the other (minimal attention to sail trim, no attention to the competition) and without a coherent narrative. Superb camera work. Mediocre music.

I ended up agreeing with all of the comments on Rotten Tomatoes: a vanity project by Disney that ends up uninspiring with boring aristo-brats, shallow exploration of race tactics and sailing technology, deliberate avoidance of detailing the only squall, and too many sunset shots.

My score: Initial temporary score of 3/10. When I add in the retail cost of the movie, electricity to run the BluRay player and tv, and the loss of 105 minutes from my life, I calculate a final sum total of 0/10 shading ever so slightly into the negative.

Al
Old 03-03-2015, 21:09   #36

My recommendation (one that hasn't already been mentioned) is 'And the Sea Will Tell' - a 1991 TV miniseries that can still be found occasionally on DVD. The story is based on the best-selling book of the same name by famed attorney, Vincent Bugliosi (who also wrote about Charles Manson in 'Helter Skelter'). The movie begins with the idyllic dreams of two separate couples who sail off to a Pacific island paradise (Palmyra Atoll) on their respective sailboats; one boat is a breathtakingly beautiful yacht of polished wood and brass - the other, a claptrap un-seaworthy vessel. Their boats share the same pristine lagoon, but over time, as food supplies dwindle, even this island utopia is not big enough for the only four people who inhabit it. One couple disappears, a manhunt ensues and criminal trials are held - yet, it is impossible to know what really happened back in 1974 on this palm-tree-speck-of-land located a thousand miles south of Hawaii. Stars Richard Crenna, Rachel Ward, James Brolin and Deidre Hall - I know, all actors from a different generation. If you can't find a copy of the miniseries (3 hours total in 2 parts; segments are available on YouTube), at least read the book... a chilling tale that will keep any cruiser riveted right up until the last page.
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 21:28   #37

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Shackletons Captain

A very worthy watch.

Old 06-03-2015, 19:48   #38

Master and commander, captain Ron, white squall, captains courageous, message in a bottle, wind, water world

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
sonofasonofasailer456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:07   #39

Boat: Douglas 32

We have seen two good ones on Netflix lately:

Turning Tide
French with English subtitles
Turning Tide Netflix Movie - OnNetflix.ca
Yann is determined to win a solo around-the-world yacht race, but his dream of victory is imperiled when he discovers a teen stowaway aboard the ship.

Wild Eyes: The Abby Sunderland Story (solo around-the-world).
The film was released on September 8, 2011
Abby Sunderland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Kim
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:10   #40

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Sailing Movies Recommendations

If y ou have Amazon Prime, search on SAIL to locate a series of titles. Just enjoyed "Racing around the world alone" as an hour long video on the 08/09 Vendee Globe. Good reminder to plan your next passage carefully.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 20:25   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Norseman 447

Just found this blog post with a few new ones...

Some of the recent Indies: Nick Jaffe's: Between Home, Matt Rutherfords: Red Dot On The Ocean, and ours: One Simple Question.

Aleria's Great Adventures: Top 30+ Sailing Movies
benjiwoodboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, movie, sail, sailing