Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 07:06   #46

Boat: Valiant 47
Re: Sailing long distance, solo.

A friend I met on Guam was sailing his Top Hat 25 he had purchased in Australia to his home in Japan. We met up with him again in Japan and he said he had a wonderful sail. He was alone, I was with my wife on our Cal34 we had sailed from Morro Bay Ca. He stayed in Japan, we sailed back to Morro Bay. You can do it and your boat should be good for the trip.
Sweetdreams2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:15   #47

Boat: Hunter 430
Send a message via Skype™ to Briggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
You'll be talking about your voyage for years to come. You might consider taking a voice recorder so that you can accurate capture your moods as your trip proceeds. Yes, it can be scary, but it's a life-changing experience.
Chuck Hawley
Very true, on a long voyage it’s astounding the sort of things you think about. A number times I solved problems, only to forget them when I eventually found myself with pen and paper.

Having a crew “mate” jump ship in Sardinia at the very last moment, I found myself having to sail to Mahon, Minorca single handed. At least I had plenty of provisions as I would be the only one them, but there was one major drawback, I had no auto pilot!

To say I was filled with trepidation was an understatement but I had a deadline to pick up another crew member. I wasn’t too worried about sailing single handed but I was concerned about sleeping. The Autohelm and steering were damaged in bad weather heading up to Cagliari, the Autohelm was unrepairable. With two onboard, it wasn’t an issue but single handed, it’s a serious consideration.

It’s fair to say the 225nm was a fairly steep learning curve, but I made it and am a better sailor for it.

If you don’t have radar, get an AIS system, preferably a transceiver. You will be able to see any other vessels and more especially, they will be able to see you - if they have anyone on watch...

Go for it. And good luck.
Briggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 13:56   #48

I'me sure every one must feel the same way... no shame in turning back
go once go twice.... fair winds
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 18:25   #49

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectorsteve View Post
Im in a 25 foot tophat, but i dont think it would make any difference to my nerves if i was on a 100 foot boat with the trip im about to embark on.
The thought of being alone for multiple days(possibly 12?) is a scary one!
Physically i am capable. I have a fair bit of experience, just none solo offshore.
Mentally i worry about anxiety and fears creeping in. Being out there after the first night, or say half way and just not wanting to be there.
I would hope that id love it. And that id be busy, pottering around doing things as i make the passage.
I plan to get an inreach satt comm and this also worries me slightly in that ill have the option to text people and potentially be glued to some device as im a bit addicted to this.
I dont know the point of this post. I guess id love to hear peoples feeilngs, thoughts, experiences - especially from those who have done the same and felt the same beforehand.
As long as you can keep a careful watch, 24/7, no problem. This is required by law and a moral imperative.

When the seas are rough, visibility poor, and skippers sea sick, TWO SETS OF EYES are required.

To do otherwise is utterly irresponsible.
Old 03-06-2019, 18:35   #50

Boat: Tophat M1 25feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
As long as you can keep a careful watch, 24/7, no problem. This is required by law and a moral imperative.

When the seas are rough, visibility poor, and skippers sea sick, TWO SETS OF EYES are required.

To do otherwise is utterly irresponsible.
Sailing solo is irresponsible?
Or is that you projecting your fears/views?
I sailed thousands of miles with a crew member a few years ago and once they got off, i felt it was safer and my decision making better.
So youre saying that unless theres 2 of you, the trip shouldnt be done?
Really?
Ive travelled 40k sea miles around the world and have never once been sea sick.
in my own boat which is 25 feet ive been in big stuff, big winds while other crew members cower inside - feeling sick.
One guy i know got a crew member for a trip of 1200 miles where the crew member stayed in the cabin the entire time.
So in these cases its actually safer to be alone i feel. The wrong crew member can become a liability.
I could scout for a crew member and i might but theyd have to be very very tough and very chilled. Id prefer to be in danger alone. i know my boat and what do . Anyone there in these situations will make it more dangerous actually.
Horses for courses.
Obviously you have to keep watch.
What i really dont care for is peoples opinions based on their fears and the law.
Every situation, boat and skills of crew, fear threshold of every person is different.
On my own this isnt a factor.
Sectorsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 18:47   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetdreams2 View Post
A friend I met on Guam was sailing his Top Hat 25 he had purchased in Australia to his home in Japan. We met up with him again in Japan and he said he had a wonderful sail. He was alone, I was with my wife on our Cal34 we had sailed from Morro Bay Ca. He stayed in Japan, we sailed back to Morro Bay. You can do it and your boat should be good for the trip.

That is great to hear, thanks so much
Old 03-06-2019, 20:26   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Sector Steve,

You might consider a wind vane to steer the boat for you: silent, use no power except the wind. Save the electronic autopilot for when the wind is too light, or a greater degree of precision is needed.

Ann, with about 78,000 n. mi. under wind steering.
Old 03-06-2019, 20:52   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Sector Steve,

You might consider a wind vane to steer the boat for you: silent, use no power except the wind. Save the electronic autopilot for when the wind is too light, or a greater degree of precision is needed.

Ann, with about 78,000 n. mi. under wind steering.
Thanks for that.
Ive thought about it. But no. I have 2 oversized tiller pilots. It doesnt use much power , but i have alot of power onboard.
My boat sheets to tiller well too but this only works when wind is anywhere forward of the aft quarter. She also heaves to well if for eg im running downwind and its too much for the tiller pilot. The tiller pilot can be set to respond fast if needed, but downwind is a problem for any type of self steering when it gets big and rough.
The seas to New Cal should be on the beam or slightly aft. in which case ill sheet to tiller.
Old 03-06-2019, 21:07   #54

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sectorsteve View Post
Sailing solo is irresponsible?
Or is that you projecting your fears/views?
I sailed thousands of miles with a crew member a few years ago and once they got off, i felt it was safer and my decision making better.
So youre saying that unless theres 2 of you, the trip shouldnt be done?
Really?
Ive travelled 40k sea miles around the world and have never once been sea sick.
in my own boat which is 25 feet ive been in big stuff, big winds while other crew members cower inside - feeling sick.
One guy i know got a crew member for a trip of 1200 miles where the crew member stayed in the cabin the entire time.
So in these cases its actually safer to be alone i feel. The wrong crew member can become a liability.
I could scout for a crew member and i might but theyd have to be very very tough and very chilled. Id prefer to be in danger alone. i know my boat and what do . Anyone there in these situations will make it more dangerous actually.
Horses for courses.
Obviously you have to keep watch.
What i really dont care for is peoples opinions based on their fears and the law.
Every situation, boat and skills of crew, fear threshold of every person is different.
On my own this isnt a factor.

Lots and lots of people is single hand without incident. I've seen professional crew screw it up big time and sink other boats, interfere with tugs and tows. These are highly paid crew. To state you must have at least 2 crew to be safe is ridiculous. BTW- I just got a panicked call from a boat owner/Captain who kicked his crew off because of all the marijuana he was ingesting. In this case, the crew member who was known to the owner and his wife was a sheer liability.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 22:48   #55

Boat: Still building

Sectorsteve

Mate, if you're on a TopHat 25 in *Bundanoon* you got more problems that just loneliness to deal with...!!!! LOL

[Bundanoon is an inland town, about 100miles from the ocean, south-west of Sydney NSW Australia]

If that's correct, PM me, I have a mate lives in Bundanoon, on Penola Cres.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 23:11   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Sectorsteve

Mate, if you're on a TopHat 25 in *Bundanoon* you got more problems that just loneliness to deal with...!!!! LOL

[Bundanoon is an inland town, about 100miles from the ocean, south-west of Sydney NSW Australia]

If that's correct, PM me, I have a mate lives in Bundanoon, on Penola Cres.
1 hour to boat from my house. Not quite 100kms.
Old 04-06-2019, 16:49   #57

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

I used to do quite a bit of singlehanding a couple decades and more ago, I'm now 84. But when I was a college student I discovered that I would sleep through LOUD alarm clocks. I used a trick that I later discovered was used by native Americans. I'd look around and call on the VHF radio. If there was no response I'd lay down and go to sleep. I woke up about an hour and fifteen minutes later needing to empty my bladder. When I got to within a couple days of Hawaii I used cold tea or Pepsi Cola. 16 oz gave me about 45 minutes of sleep. Up the volume to 24 oz and a half hour snooze was all I got. But this was in the open ocean. I'd never attempt it when less few hours from shore.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 17:33   #58

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattercat View Post
Try setting out from your home port, kitted as you would be for your planned voyage and spend two full nights out at sea before tying up at home again. If you survive that then do it again but turn back to sea, just before you enter home port and spend another two nights out there. If you dont get lost in the process, you can still talk to yourself after it and your boat is still sound.... what you waiting for?
Very sound advice. This is exactly how I started sailing solo years ago. Everyone is different and takes solitude differently. The best way is to experience it in (somewhat controlled conditions). You need to actually sail out to build confidence. Go 100 nm offshore the first day time, then 200 nm, then 300 nm. You will learn a lot about yourself and the boat.

You will hear some people talk about books, movies, extra equipment, etc - it is all good advice but you need to figure out what works for you. For example, if you have a busy work schedule, you would not read books but will enjoy every sunrise and sunset away from land. in terms of preparedness my priorities are:

1. Rest. If you get tired you start making bad decisions. I do not subscribe to the 20 min sleep view, I would rather set my radar, AIS and VHF and sleep for 3-4 hours straight. If it is a ship, she or the radar will wake you, if it is another boat, the chance of colliding is very small (actually, it is statistically higher if you start tracking them on AIS), if it is a container, well it happens. It is important though to get enough sleep when conditions are mild and/or traffic is light.

2. Safety. For me this means jacklines + tether, everything else is secondary. Someone at the dock was talking about remote autopilot controls that automatically point the boat into the wind if the remote gets out of range. Something like this may be useful but you should assume that if you fall over, the chance of survival is very, very low. So, do not.

3. Treats. For some it is food, for others chocolate, alcohol, etc. You want to treat yourself when you need to, in moderation.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing