Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 06:17   #31

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Sailing in Tampa Bay?

Unless you are really wanting to gunkhole around the west coast of Florida, which will get old extremely fast- don't give up your deep keel. Plenty of water in Tampa Bay, people with boats in Florida seem to get extremely paranoid about draft, but I have a 7.5 ft. draft and have zero problems. Even the boatyards on Salt Creek have enough depth there. There is plenty of water, you just have to know where NOT to sail. Be smart and rely on your charts.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 08:46   #32

Boat: Beneteau First 42

We relocated to the Sarasota area (south Tampa Bay region) from SoCal in '92 and it was the best move we ever made. (I am happy to say "I am from California...far from California!"). We keep our boat, with a 6.5' draft, at our Club along the north shore of the Manatee River, routinely sail the south Tampa Bay area and have often cruised the entire southwest coast to the Keys. Thin water was a bit unnerving initially but with minimal wave action 90%+ of the time in shallow waters, it proved far less of an issue that I feared and, what few groundings we've suffered haven't entailed any damage--save to ego's--as the bottom is mostly soft mud/sand and we were able to kedge off fairly easily when so.

While the Channel Islands, e.g. Catalina, are interesting, cruising there-abouts is limited and repetitious after awhile and often no less crowded than some RV Parks. Here, the cruising opportunities are vast and with a little planning, your draft will not be too much of an obstetrical, allowing you to visit areas where you will often be one of only a few boats in an anchorage. You'll love it and particularly the cost savings over living in Calif.

A good dependable boat is like a good dependable wife (if you are fortunate enough to have either). Not something/someone a wise person would easily discard for a newer/flashier, perhaps, model.

FWIW...

PS: If you haven't settled on where to live as yet, take a look at "Waterside" in Lakewood Ranch, just south of the Manatee River in the Sarasota/Manatee County area. Great values and a great place to live.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:40   #33

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Sell your boat in California and buy one more suitable to the west cost of Florida. The beauty of sailing here is gunkholing into endless shallow bays and inlets and cruising the Keys. Five feet of draft is generally considered the absolute max. Seven feet? You'll know all of the Towboat U.S. guys by name. You won't have many places to go.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:23   #34

Boat: Manta 42 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Wil View Post
Thanks! Will check out those places when I go there in a few weeks.

What are some fun places to cruise to and anchor for a few days in that area?

I'm really going to miss the Channel Islands here in Southern California!

I also live in Apollo Beach. I have a 5' draft, so I like a little positive tide going in or out. They dredged recently, and it was supposed to be to 7 feet, but there are still some shallow areas. As far as places to visit, there are a lot of them and a lot of sailors. I belong to the Dolphins Cruising Club, and we have frequent overnight or weekend group sails to nearby areas and some up or down the coast for a week or longer. We also had a lot of social events, but you know how that goes now.

I didn't look at all the responses, but what is your mast height/air draft. If it is more the 65 feet, which I expect it to be for a 49-foot boat, you won't be able to travel the ICW which can limit you quite a bit in Florida.
WantTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:24   #35

Maximo Marina on Boca Ciega Bay (St Petersburg) accommodates 8' draft boats easily and may have availability now. Agree on the comments about watching color and draft, and know that the federal charts are way out of date or just plain wrong in many places. Go with the Garmin fishing charts in the chartplotter which are the same as Navionics charts. I've also plotted some Boca Ciega Bay sand piles (e.g. where the ICW opens up after a bridge and tidal current speed drops) with my Garmin system and QuickDraw recording.

Similar to other comments, you will be nervous going into some places with 7' draft if there are seas. John's Pass channel for example has a bar that you have to cross that I won't go over (5'4") if there are 4' seas out of the west. But the good news is that almost anything you hit on this side of Florida is sand!
SV_Sea_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:43   #36

Boat: Gemini 105 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Wil View Post
Looking to move from Southern California to Florida... most like Tampa Bay area.

Looking at the Navionics charts, it seems the waters are really shallow over there.

I have a Beneteau 49 which has a draft of just over 7 feet.

I would appreciate any advice or additional information from local sailors in that area as everyone I know there has a power boat.

Thanks!
All around Florida it is shallow, shallow, shallow! Watch charts carefully.
Lesliesailsaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:49   #37

Sell your boat in CA . Buy a shallow draft boat here. With 7 ft draft, you can sail around in circles but you won't be able to go much anywhere in SWFL. Our very best anchorage, Pelican Bay, sports a deep hole, 8 ft!
EaglesWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:35   #38

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
For the Tampa Bay area, with that draft, the St Petersburg Muni marina or maybe the Harborage , also is St Pete, would be best.

I know for sure that Apollo Beach and even the Ruskin area, you would be limited to going in and out at high tide only.

Hey Davy J I draw 5'9" non my 40' Passport and friends were planning to come in to Apollo Beach. Concerned about channel coming in and of course depths. Any Hints?
mokkerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:44   #39

I hate to be party pooper but first thing you need to do is shorten your
keel or have tow service on speed dial.
Had a few friends with 6’ + and they either sold the boat or shorten the keel to 5’
and my home port is down in Punta Gorda charlotte harbor great sailing but most sailboats have 4 to 5 foot draft but I have 5’ and pretty good.
You will find because of tides and just shallow area you won’t be going many places or doing much sailing because of tides.
The east coast of Florida has deep water once you get out the inlets but you need to start looking at maybe changing your keel here or before you leave.
I have 5’ draft and need to be careful where and where I go but really not bad at all and sail every day no problem but getting in and out of places is going to be
very selective for you and in winter months even worse.
I am trying to give you the real deal of what to expect here in sw Florida and great sailing but 7’ draft you will not be very happy.
Had a friend change from 6’+ to 4’6” and is very happy and his 36 Catalina is fast .nick
Seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 14:20   #40
cruiser

I was in the Tampa bay, st Petersburg, Clearwater area 2 years ago with my Catalina 22.
Fimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 14:22   #41

Boat: Tanton 35

I sailed (raced and cruised) the Channel Islands area for 30+ years and have been in the Tampa bay area for the past 6 essayer. I think I can give you a fair assessment of the differences. PM if you are interested.
sailavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 14:23   #42

Boat: Tanton 35

That was supposed to be 6 years
sailavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:36   #43

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadaddler View Post
I hate to be party pooper but first thing you need to do is shorten your
keel or have tow service on speed dial.
Had a few friends with 6’ + and they either sold the boat or shorten the keel to 5’
and my home port is down in Punta Gorda charlotte harbor great sailing but most sailboats have 4 to 5 foot draft but I have 5’ and pretty good.
You will find because of tides and just shallow area you won’t be going many places or doing much sailing because of tides.
The east coast of Florida has deep water once you get out the inlets but you need to start looking at maybe changing your keel here or before you leave.
I have 5’ draft and need to be careful where and where I go but really not bad at all and sail every day no problem but getting in and out of places is going to be
very selective for you and in winter months even worse.
I am trying to give you the real deal of what to expect here in sw Florida and great sailing but 7’ draft you will not be very happy.
Had a friend change from 6’+ to 4’6” and is very happy and his 36 Catalina is fast .nick
Thanks Nick,
We are part of PGSC here in Punta Gorda. Love our boat so put up with our extra depth at 5'9". We've gotten around fine minding the few areas we are forced to avoid and know the south areas pretty well now. But are not clear on the north destinations the club is going to. Apollo Beach entrance just looked dicey unless we went in at high tide.
mokkerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:58   #44

A few sailboats with 5’ and maybe one with 5’+ not sure how much more than 5’
went in and anchored at Apollo Beach marina area a year or so ago and so they think it is a good new place to anchor at.
Nick
Seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:23   #45

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

We spent the last few months in St Petersburg and West Florida in general with a boat drawing 6'2". You can definitely do it with a 7' draft. But you'll have a lot more cruising options, including hurricane hole options, and less navigational headaches, with a shallow draft sailboat. If I was planning on living there I would, I would definitely trade for a shallow draft vessel.
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing