Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2004, 08:40   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Restless
pirate Sailing in Grenada

My partner and I have booked a Catalina 38 for Charter in Grenada for 7 days next Dec. Does anyone have any information (both good or bad) about sailing in this location. We will be starting the charter near St. Georges the capital.
Thanks
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2004, 06:57   #2

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
It depends on how much sailing you want to do and how much relaxing you want to do. We roared up through the Grenadines, and went all the way to Bequia. Bequia was beautiful, as were the Tobago Keys. That is a fair bit of sailing, and we ended up doing very little with Grenada proper. As well, doing the Grenadines means checking in with customs numerous times, as they are split between Grenada and St. Vincents. The customs people were nice, but do take up some of your time.

We found the people nice, expecially in the Grenadines. Got bad fuel off the barge in Bequia, but apparently that is an exception.

With only 7 days, I'd resist the temptation to do it all, and get to know the Grenada properties only. You can always go back and build on a core of knowledge. Easy to say, though - you'll find a lot of people saying some wonderful things about Bequia and the rest, including us. There is a former Canadian there, formerly married to St. Vincent's Prime Minister (I think) running a restaurant that serves lobster pizza. Oops, I drooled.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2004, 13:31   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Restless
Thanks for the info....someone had said to go from Grenada to Carriacou on the first day and that after that all the anchorages would be good. Do you need to clear customs in Carriacou?
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2004, 05:17   #4

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Your friend may be right. I was the guest, not the captain, and relied on the Captain for the itinerary. He may have hurried north because Carriacou was the first best anchorage. It's Tyrrel Bay was our first stop - nice place.

I believe there is lots in Grenada for tourists to do - culture, history, and natural hikes; but you are renting a boat and want to get out of St Georges. If you are right about anchorages, then it makes sense to get some miles up at least to the Tobago Keys.

My recollections are that we had to go in at Union Island, east side, and walk in to the little airport to clear Customs. They really ding you on holidays by the way. Since Union is almost the next port, you might as well accept clearing customs, coming and going. Nice place for ice cream on the way to the airport.

Actually, from there, the Tobago keys are close, and Bequia is doable too. Can you take two weeks?

Maybe you can get the Guide for the area from your charter company and get a better feel for the whole area before you go. More anchorages at the south end might improve a short vacation in my mind; but if they are not there, you will do more sailing and see wonderous beauty. No real way to lose.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2004, 06:11   #5

I visited Carriacou a few years ago as a land tourist. The plan was to go up to the Grenadines from Grenada by mail boat. Carriacou was a paradise so we stayed on there for the rest of the holiday.

Make sure you go to Sandy Island, the snorkeling is great and you can anchor very close. Hillsborough is charming. Get your salt fish rolls 'Sand Island' cafe for lunch. Have an evening meal at Kallaloo by the Beach. Say Hi to the folks at 'Adi's Dream' guest house, they did us proud. Don't bother with Scrapers Bay unless you want a really good Italian ice cream. I recommend you take the local buses everywhere as they are cheap and friendly. Everyone we met were very friendly. Most of the tourist arrive on the ferry from Grenada for a day trip. It is very unspoilt. I envy you and can't wait to go back.

walnut
walnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada