Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 22:14   #1

Sailing in Corpus Christi

Fellow sailors! I will soon be moving from the sunny shores of the Florida Panhandle to Texas. I'm looking for advice on the best marinas and sailing communities in the Corpus Christi/Port A area? Any Texas sailors have some friendly advice or inputs?
JDs Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 22:26   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Sailing in Corpus Christi

We like Port A, and have our boat at Island Moorings. Corpus Christi has a great municipal marina, great active community of sailors.
Plenty of wind, skinny water, nice folks.
welcome to Texas
Old 18-11-2013, 22:31   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

What size boat? Island Moorings Marina in Port Aransas would be a good location. Other than that would be the Marinas right in Corpus. I visited Island Moorings to check them out as my preferred location when I take delivery of my boat in spring. You can visit them at Island Moorings Marina Port Aransas Texas Google earth will show them and you can see their close proximity to the Gulf. If you commute to Corpus one direction is via ferry and access over the bridge into the north side of Corpus and the other is around the Island coming into the south side of Corpus. Click on link above.
Old 19-11-2013, 05:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JDs Sailing.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 05:59   #5

Boat: Slocum 43

Welcome to Texas. Beautiful sailing in the CC area.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 10:08   #6

How is that area as far as work..ie, unemployment rate, job availability, types of jobs? What about cost of living?
I am sure I can find numbers online, was just curious about how people that live there think about it.
Do winter temps in the gulf area vary greatly from west texas?
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 10:34   #7

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

The temps vary less since the gulf is there. There may be a few days each decade where the temp can reach the twenties but not many and as soon as the usual south-east wind comes up. They rise quickly.

As for work, I work in Software and when I open up my search criteria to state wide I get about 10 jobs adverts for Houston and Dallas for every one I get from Corpus Christi. But then since I live in Austin there are 10 times as many of those than for any where else.
Old 19-11-2013, 15:42   #8

Great sailing/cruising in Corpus. Good info here... Cruising Corpus Christi
Traverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 16:09   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I'm a nurse, no problem getting work if I want to. My hubby is a computer programmer rock star, he gets offers at least a couple a month..? If you are a canvas guy, diesel mechanic, carpenter, I think no problem. Not sure the going rate though.
Food seems more expensive in port A, the seafood is crazy expensive but we haven't found a boat to buy directly from yet, should be cheaper when we do.

If you are in Port A, try Shells restaurant $$$, the chef is amazing and imaginative. On a budget, their appetizers are reasonable and delicious.

Hope that helps, you need any help with the move give us a PM(I'm married to Rain Dog, the man, not the boat ). We are inland a lot the next couple weeks because of the holidays, but after that will be back to full timing aboard Rain Dog.

Erika
Old 19-11-2013, 16:21   #10

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDs Sailing View Post
Fellow sailors! I will soon be moving from the sunny shores of the Florida Panhandle to Texas. I'm looking for advice on the best marinas and sailing communities in the Corpus Christi/Port A area? Any Texas sailors have some friendly advice or inputs?
I'll second the previous Port Aransas and Corpus Christi marina rec's. Port Aransas also has a large, nice, city owned marina which is right in town and just off the channel. There are also some marinas in Aransas Pass and Rockport/Fulton, and a small one in Ingleside. Most others in the area are geared for non-sail boats.
Since you mentioned "communities", the North Padre Island part of Corpus, Key Allegro in Rockport, and some others in the area offer homes on navigable canals if you prefer docking at home.

Since you might be military given your specs, a new marina is opening up on the NAS-CC right now (certainly a secure location ).
It has 61 covered, but only 5 open slips for boats to 32', 18K displ available; it's geared more to bay fishing boats. I'm not sure about access depths yet (NAS-CC is located at the SE corner of CC Bay, close to the ICW), Corpus Christi Bay has average 9-14 foot depths.
It's roughly 12 miles to the downtown T-heads, 18 miles to the PA jetties and the Gulf from this new marina.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 16:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
How is that area as far as work..ie, unemployment rate, job availability, types of jobs? What about cost of living?
I am sure I can find numbers online, was just curious about how people that live there think about it.
Do winter temps in the gulf area vary greatly from west texas?
The area is BOOMING!!!
The Eagle Ford Shale oil and gas boom is taking place to the West, South, North, and East of Corpus. And Corpus has been a refinery town for ages, in addition to the Port, offshore O&G, medical and military.
Cost of living is moderate compared to the L&R Coasts, but it has gone up considerably in the last 50 years . I've lived in South Texas for most of my life (many decades that) and still like it a lot.

As far as comparing it to West Texas, don't; they're on different planets weatherwise. I've had the misfortune of working in West Texas occasionally, I would never, ever live there.
The Coastal Bend isn't quite as mild as, say, much of Floriduh in the winter, but it's usually quite tolerable (the years vary a lot, some are wet and foggy, some dry and perfect). Now the summer is a different animal, I recommend having air conditioning...
Old 20-11-2013, 03:13   #12

Thanks for all the great advice! I've looked at the Island Moorings and think that might be an excellent choice! As far as the size of my boat that's still up in the air since I'll be in the market for a boat upon my arrival. I'll be handing the tiller of my O'Day 20 over to a new owner in a couple weeks then upgrading to something in the 28'-32' range once getting to CC.

From all the responses I can tell I'll be right at home among some fellow sailors! BTW does anyone know if Barnacle Bills is still around at Port A? I used to stop in there from time to time when I came down from San Antonio.
JDs Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 18:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDs Sailing View Post
Thanks for all the great advice! I've looked at the Island Moorings and think that might be an excellent choice! As far as the size of my boat that's still up in the air since I'll be in the market for a boat upon my arrival. I'll be handing the tiller of my O'Day 20 over to a new owner in a couple weeks then upgrading to something in the 28'-32' range once getting to CC.

From all the responses I can tell I'll be right at home among some fellow sailors! BTW does anyone know if Barnacle Bills is still around at Port A? I used to stop in there from time to time when I came down from San Antonio.
Aye, it is. And Snoopy's is still going next to/under the JFK Causeway...plus dozens/hundreds more places in the five+ decades since I first roamed the dunes up there (although SPI/Port Isabel is/was the old homeplace).

Port A: Home

North Padre Islander - Welcome to the North Padre Islander

Tags
sail, sailing