Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2019, 10:25   #1

Sailing Help in Carribbean

I am trying to find someone to sail with me and a small group of friends (4) on a charter from St Lucia to Grenada. I have chartered several times but given my unfamiliarity with the anchorages and the process for going in and out of each island, I am hoping to find someone that I can hire to travel with us and help out with the process. I like sailing the boats but it would be nice to have someone to share the decision making with. The two couples that are traveling with us have been on sailboats but are not really sailors. The boat is a Nautitech 46 Fly with 4 cabins.

I am trying to find my way into people sailing the area to find someone that we would pay to sail with us. I am looking for ideas of where to start looking. There may be a chance to single the boat back since we are dropping it in Grenada and it is based in St Lucia. We have done this trip once before and we hired a local captain from the charter company, but he really didn’t want to be there and he was generally difficult to work with.
SKinnaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 15:28   #2

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Sailing Help in Carribbean

Talk to Chris and Crystal at LTD sailing in Greneda. They are in the vendors tab of this forum
Old 21-03-2019, 16:40   #3

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKinnaird View Post
I am trying to find someone to sail with me and a small group of friends (4) on a charter from St Lucia to Grenada. I have chartered several times but given my unfamiliarity with the anchorages and the process for going in and out of each island, I am hoping to find someone that I can hire to travel with us and help out with the process. I like sailing the boats but it would be nice to have someone to share the decision making with. The two couples that are traveling with us have been on sailboats but are not really sailors. The boat is a Nautitech 46 Fly with 4 cabins.

I am trying to find my way into people sailing the area to find someone that we would pay to sail with us. I am looking for ideas of where to start looking. There may be a chance to single the boat back since we are dropping it in Grenada and it is based in St Lucia. We have done this trip once before and we hired a local captain from the charter company, but he really didn’t want to be there and he was generally difficult to work with.

Do you have a date, period of season?
I am a charter boat skipper.

Honestly it's a pretty easy sail.
Most anchorage on the way are easy. Customs would also be pretty easy.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 03:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SKinnaird.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 05:14   #5

Boat: Hylas 49

Buy the Chris Doyle Guide to the Windward Islands. You don’t need help if you can sail.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 08:24   #6

Boat: Catalina 36 1987

If I knew when I may be able to help. I'm a licensed captain and just came back from chartering there.
compassrose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:52   #7

Boat: Catalina 375

I just did the trip a month ago; exactly that from Rodney Bay to Grenada. 40 ft CAT. While not officially the skipper on the boat, I made a lot of the sailing decisions. When is the trip planned? I assume one cabin for me.? I have done many other trips as skipper/crew however not as a professional. I have my ASA courses and sail my own 40 ft monohull. You can message me on this site if interested. Actually do not need pay if you supply food and nightly grog!
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 11:24   #8

One more with question of when....also, how long is the charter?

My s/o and I had a 44' cat based in St. Vincent for many years, and had chartered cats in the area previous to that....but are now boatless. We know the area quite well, having been up & down the Windwards & Leewards many times. I'm not a licensed captain, but have > 50 years sailing experience, started teaching at age 14 and became an ASA certified instructor way back in the 1980s. Yeah, I'm old.......but aside from lowered rum consumption and earlier to bed (unless sailing overnight) it hasn't much slowed me!

The return trip certainly would be an option as well; my own cabin and expenses being paid would be all I'd need.

But - I'd also second the recommendation for Chris at LTD. He ran the sailing school for a time where we had our cat. Or Shaun at Nautilus Sailing (also Grenada).

Kevin
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 21:09   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia

I May be too late here but I have chartered that last 3 years in this area on 40 -44 cats. Would love to help you out and have a good time doing it! I love the hours as I am moving towards a purchase. Let me know what dates ! I can fly down to help 😄
Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 22:22   #10

Boat: Leopard 45

Depending on the dates, I can be available. I have owned a Leopard 44 with the Sunsail system for four years and have sailed in most of their 25 locations worldwide as the skipper in control. I sailed the run from St. Lucia to Grenada two years ago and would love to do it again. Over the last six years I have had over 80 friends sail with me on a Leopard 44 cat in various parts of the world. Many of these friends have sailed with me multiple times. Typical crew consists of eight of us each trip in a four cabin cat. We provision just before leaving the base and rotate cooking each night.
I wouldn't need to be paid and am semi-retired so can choose the time and place I sail. I will be skipper on a sail in Belize next month then in Greece in September and The BVI in December so I would need to know the time you plan to sail. I am assuming I will have a cabin to myself. I can give you a resume on my sailing experience. The run from St. Lucia to Grenada is really quite easy and one way to Grenada is a good choice as you will be on a run almost the whole trip. The most difficult part really is going through customs at each port as you will be traversing about four countries as you enter the various islands along the way.
Cheers,
Jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib, sail, sailing