Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2023, 23:46   #16

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: Sailing from Townsville to Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
20 hp would probably push it over 10kn for bursts
sorry to burst your bubble, but imho there is no chance that a single 20hp o/b would push this boat at 10k...even in flat water...let alone the rough water of a bar crossing

however maybe i'm wrong. what do others think ?

cheers,
Old 13-01-2023, 00:16   #17

Probably right...a 9.9 used to push my less rigid cat about 6kn, depends how efficiently it is mounted...I was thinking of coming In the bars...where speed can be useful... surfing no problem, wouldn't think a boat like that would broach
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 00:59   #18

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Might consider going from Gold Coast to Lord Howe and then to Sydney. Better wind angles at this time of the year.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 02:05   #19

Boat: LAGOON 400

consider overniter doing Lady Musgrave to Rainbow beach outside Frazer Island, or if forecast is good have another overniter to Coffs or Yamba. We done that and it was very noce sail. Need to check current forecast so you find it and adds 1 or 2 kn. Skips 2 days of motoring inside Frazer.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 02:12   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

The 2 days of motoring down through the Great Sandy Straits can be a very enjoyable experience. Even better if you spend a couple of weeks at it. A fine body of calm protected waters with great changing vistas as the tides cover and cover the extensive sands.

And who would miss the Wide Bay Bar crossing.
Old 13-01-2023, 02:24   #21

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
* following*
Some useful advice here for a likewise one-day dreamer.
I think your boat and motor set up will be fine for the bar crossings, 20 hp would probably push it over 10kn for bursts I would imagine, but a bit tiresome and thirsty for very long bashes.
20 hp is not much for a cat that size crossing the bars. We had 2 x 29 hp and often had them flat out crossing NSW bars.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 03:29   #22

Boat: Pescott Whitehaven 11.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
sorry to burst your bubble, but imho there is no chance that a single 20hp o/b would push this boat at 10k...even in flat water...let alone the rough water of a bar crossing

however maybe i'm wrong. what do others think ?

cheers,
Chrisr is right-- we'll be delighted to see 6 knots on her. On my previous cat with twin 20hp hondas we saw 9 knots flat out with a clean bum..
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 14:34   #23

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Might consider going from Gold Coast to Lord Howe and then to Sydney. Better wind angles at this time of the year.

Lord Howe Island is a destination, not a way station - you just turned a series of coastal hops into a pair of serous offshore passages. As well, the cost and the bio security requirements to land at Lord Howe Island make it a non-starter.

We’re working our way down the coast from Brisbane early December and now in Jervis Bay, with almost a month in Sydney, heading for Melbourne. It’s easy to wait for and sail on the NE quarter winds (just need an offshore high) and shelter from the occasional southerly change.

For the OP, one thing to decide is whether you are delivering, with longer overnight or several night passages when the wind is good interspersed with sitting out the southerlies, or whether you want to visit and explore. If the latter then you can mostly day sail, with the occasional overnighter for the longer legs.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 14:50   #24

Boat: Pescott Whitehaven 11.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Lord Howe Island is a destination, not a way station - you just turned a series of coastal hops into a pair of serous offshore passages. As well, the cost and the bio security requirements to land at Lord Howe Island make it a non-starter.

We’re working our way down the coast from Brisbane early December and now in Jervis Bay, with almost a month in Sydney, heading for Melbourne. It’s easy to wait for and sail on the NE quarter winds (just need an offshore high) and shelter from the occasional southerly change.

For the OP, one thing to decide is whether you are delivering, with longer overnight or several night passages when the wind is good interspersed with sitting out the southerlies, or whether you want to visit and explore. If the latter then you can mostly day sail, with the occasional overnighter for the longer legs.

True-- I really don't want to head to Lord Howe right now-- had the **** beaten out of me on a previous trip.

To answer your question, we're really doing a hybrid trip. There will be times when we want to sail for 2-3 days non stop and others where we'll spend a week in one area exploring. South of Tweed heads will be pretty much non stop till either Coffs or Port Stephens. Home base is Pittwater and Port Stephens to Pittwater is not too bad and in this boat should be pretty fast. The boat is well set up having already gone around Australia so we are lucky there is not to much that we have to sort out before we go.

Again thanks to all who gave their ideas-- it is incredibly useful. I'm now working through my pilotage and getting my head around the different options
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2023, 22:33   #25

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

another thought...don't over plan. this is especially true the further forward you are looking.

adapt to the conditions and just 'go with the flow'

it may mean that you cannot go to places you really want to...or more likely have to make choices...but to build a timetable in advance and then try to stick to it is only going to end in tears before bedtime

cheers,
Old 14-01-2023, 00:13   #26

My last trip down the NSW coast in my Morgan Giles 40 footer was a lucky one. I had been sitting in Mooloolaba for a couple of weeks of southerlies. Popped out about 4.00PM with the first hint of northerly. I was off Ballina about 7.00AM the next morning, so slipped in for a sleep.

Off again that afternoon, & was in Coffs next morning for another sleep. After a couple of days visiting friends left Coffs about 7.00AM in a very light easterly, & took all morning to get to Smoky Cape, where a north easterly breeze, came in & started building. Thinking it was a sea breeze I pulled up a small spinnaker. Two hours later with the northerly up to over 25 knots I wished I hadn't. Dropped the kite by the traditional single handers emergency method, I let the brace & the halliard go, & the thing landed out to leeward. I pulled it in over the stern by the sheet.

With a polled out Jib & full main, surfing about every third wave, I averaged 14 knots for the next 150 miles. There must have been a big rush of northerly current with me. I was off Foster when the wind suddenly died completely next morning. The radio said a 70 knot southerly change was moving up the coast. I hailed a passing trawler heading for Foster who said my 7 ft draft would be fine on the bar, & even offered to tow me in when he saw my feeble 5 knots under power. He then allowed me to tie up along side him at his private jetty.

Sat out 7 days of southerly then on to Swansea to enter Lake Macquarie where my parents were retired. Hope you have such an easy trip.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2023, 02:23   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Woohoo, that's a lovely story! Good on both of youse.
Old 16-01-2023, 12:04   #28

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

Joining this thread to be part of all this excellent advice. My 2¢'s worth:

Shellharbour Marina, where we are presently, has a protective, longer northern arm/breakwater which might help getting in safely in some conditions (the water inside is almost completely flat, and is protected from southerlies by Bass Point). Excellent local bars and restaurants, too, and comprehensive supermarkets, etc., for resupplying.

Re. Greenwell Point's bar: dangerous in NE winds and swell, if crossing on ebb tide (as a marine rescue volunteer, I have crossed this bar hundreds of times, and usually in poor conditions!). Usual bar crossing advice (cross with incoming tide, later is better) applies. If you stick to the leads, you'll be in 5m+ water all the way.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 13:43   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
I can relate to most of the previous blogs but would like to add-
- I found that best winds were aro' Nov/ Dec , but that was to avoid cyclones. In cyclone season , prepare a list of 'shelter holes' , in the rare event of being threatened by a storm.
- South of GC , I like Iluka , virtually no bar ,great harbour and supplies on Iluka shore.
-shelter from a Southerly - Byron Bay ,South West Rocks.
- if stuck for good wind ex Whitsundays , consider using the Broadsound and working tides . Good anchorages ,see pilot.
- of interest , internet available most of the passage with good antenna.
Good sailing !
And do yourself a favour, get hold of “Cruising the Coral Coast” & “Cruising NSW”both by Alan Lucas
Alan Brookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 13:50   #30

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

Ditto re. Lucas's books; they are excellent.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, sydney