Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2016, 00:48   #16

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck
Re: Sailing from the P.N.W. to Mexico.

I did a rhumbline from the straights of wan de puka to San Francisco the first week of september, as i recall the farthest offshore 50 miles, some big swells, kinda like the Indian ocean.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 04:28   #17

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
I just have one observation about following Cornell's advice of going about 100 miles offshore to find steadier winds. He's right, but the unfortunate part is that these steady winds are often in the 30-50 knot range. I've made the Seattle-SF run a few times, and a bit closer to shore (like 20 miles on the average) was a heck of a lot more user-friendly than the time we went way offshore. That trip ranks as one of our most thorough ass-kickings in many thousands of offshore miles.

Sure, it's different every time, but the squash zone that sets up is more reliably a lot stronger offshore. I don't personally see the upside.

Have a nice sail.
Glad to see this thread, I'm planning on Oak Harbor WA to Mexico, but it won't be till 2018, hopefully, I've been told by people that have made this trip, more than once, to stay close, maybe 25 miles, originally I was thinking 100 miles, everybody that has experience with this tells me that's the wrong way to do it, stay close is what I'm hearing.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:48   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Stop for a rest in the Estuary of Morro Bay, then you can pick your weather window for a nice easy 2AM rounding of Pt Conception. Once south of there...it's all tacos and ease...

Give me a call when you get here, as the SSCA cruising host Station I will take you out for a Taco and answer questions if you have any.
I will do that

I'll do that. I got the beer!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 10:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
> Radar is mandatory....Oregon & Cali full of traffic at night.

If you are going nonstop, it's better to get 150-200 miles away from the shore and stay there until after Mendocino. No traffic at all, and a lot less fog. Radar not mandatory then
Thanks, yes, Radar is next on the list for sure, and I have AIS transponder.
P.N.W. makes a believer out of anyone.
I'm also thinking on repower, it's got the original yammy 2qm15. From what I hear, very expensive parts in Mex? What engine would you say would be a wise choice as far as maintenance parts and repair parts?
Old 19-10-2016, 11:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
Glad to see this thread, I'm planning on Oak Harbor WA to Mexico, but it won't be till 2018, hopefully, I've been told by people that have made this trip, more than once, to stay close, maybe 25 miles, originally I was thinking 100 miles, everybody that has experience with this tells me that's the wrong way to do it, stay close is what I'm hearing.
Yes, most prefer the 20 to 25 miles off shore it seems. I'm wondering what that looks like for a solo? More fishing boats and ship traffic would make it hard to even cat nap in the cockpit so that leaves me harbor hopping. I'd prefer to just not stop unless it would be for fuel or fresh water until South Cali. But also my time is my own, I have no where to be except where I happen to be standing now, so maybe I'll leave extra early and explore a little on the way down. Are you solo also?
Old 19-10-2016, 13:46   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Yes, most prefer the 20 to 25 miles off shore it seems. I'm wondering what that looks like for a solo? More fishing boats and ship traffic would make it hard to even cat nap in the cockpit so that leaves me harbor hopping. I'd prefer to just not stop unless it would be for fuel or fresh water until South Cali. But also my time is my own, I have no where to be except where I happen to be standing now, so maybe I'll leave extra early and explore a little on the way down. Are you solo also?
If you go off shore by say 100-150 miles and then decide you need fuel because of light winds and long rollers that making sailing progress almost impossible how do you plan to make the the extra 100 miles into shore?

If you leave Neah Bay on a good forecast and head toward Cape Mendicino (after clearing the rocks of Cape Alava) you should get a good day or two sail. Then you can see what the real conditions are and decide to keep going on great winds or head closer in in case you might want to make a stop or two. Its all about the weather.
Old 19-10-2016, 15:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If you go off shore by say 100-150 miles and then decide you need fuel because of light winds and long rollers that making sailing progress almost impossible how do you plan to make the the extra 100 miles into shore?

If you leave Neah Bay on a good forecast and head toward Cape Mendicino (after clearing the rocks of Cape Alava) you should get a good day or two sail. Then you can see what the real conditions are and decide to keep going on great winds or head closer in in case you might want to make a stop or two. Its all about the weather.
Thats what keeps me from really planning much more than 40 50 miles off shore max. That and I'm newer at sailing, and solo. The boat is in great shape but it is just a 1980 30' Lancer, its hand layed, no core hull, full lead encapsulated keel but still just a coastal cruiser. I just don't really know what the end of the weather spectrum would look like for the boat or myself for that matter. I worked salmon and tune boats in my mid twentys(40 years ago), spent 30 40 days out at times, 500 - 600 miles out, been in horrid weather, a big nasty at Cape Blanco, that one is the only weather that scared me, but the skipper was sweating too. I don't fear much, thats not always good either (trust me) I want to push myself and the boat to find out but also don't want to lose my boat/home. I'm leaving here Fri or Sat, sailing to Port Orchard to complete a deal for a boat heater with Newhaul, then just cruise for a week or two to get more crap weather experience, solo reefing and such. I just got my new mainsail, so I want to get into higher winds also, I'v not sailed solo in anything over 25 knots so far, coming East from Neah Bay, tore two big rips in the old original rotten main, lol.
I'm really enjoying the story's and experience shared here. Thanks to all and keep it coming.
What kind of cost to enter Mexico?
If you where going to repower, for Mexico, what engine for availability of parts?
Is it best to check into Mexican customs in San Diego or is that even possible?
How long can I legally stay in Mexico?
I have BoatUS coverage, is there something in Mexico that covers tow and such like BoatUS?
Old 19-10-2016, 15:42   #23

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You may want to think also about how you'll be getting the boat back up (if you are planning to return!) You may want to invest in a good triple axle trailer to pull her back up with! Going down, as rough as certain stretches can be, is the easy part. Let me know when you are comin' roun' Point Conception, I'll bring the beer for that one! Do you have any experienced crew who may want to go with you, at least to SF??
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 16:00   #24

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You may want to think also about how you'll be getting the boat back up (if you are planning to return!) You may want to invest in a good triple axle trailer to pull her back up with! Going down, as rough as certain stretches can be, is the easy part. Let me know when you are comin' roun' Point Conception, I'll bring the beer for that one! Do you have any experienced crew who may want to go with you, at least to SF??
Actually both directions can be as bad/good as the other. It's just that you can sail down but have to motor back up, unless your willing to go 200+ miles off shore to catch the proper wind.

And you really want to do it during the months of June, July, Aug. The swells off shore average 10-15' if there is any weather out there. Fall, winter and spring is not a good time to transit the N. Pacific.
Old 19-10-2016, 16:07   #25

I just brought our boat UP from California to Vancouver Island. You need to do a lot more homework & research, 'cuz all your questions have been ones that all newcomers ask. Entering Mexico? C'mon, I chose to go north instead of south, but read Latitude 38, they have a guide to doing Mexico. Google can be your friend.

Two highly regarded and now personally familiar with guide books for PNW to SD:

Exploring the Pacific Coast - Don Douglass --- superb for offshore and inshore routing

Charlie's Charts of the US Pacific Coast - great for harbors and bar entrances

BOTH of these books explain routing and answer a lot of your questions about when to leave, what to watch out for, etc.

PLEASE, please, please, continue to ask questions, but get some basic guidebooks that will fill in 95% of what you need to know. We're here for the other 5%.

Safe journey.

If you want to read about my bar crossings galore (we harbor hopped up and saw ALL of them), and rounding the Capes:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 16:17   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Brian Fagan's book also pretty good:
https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guid...an+fagan+books
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 16:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Hi Don. I've heard from other's that said the same about the slog back up here, not much fun. I'm not sure I will come back, other than to visit, that would be flying home. No, no crew, but perhaps when I have a departure date I will put it out here, see if anyone would want to go along for the down hill run to S.F.
And a beer or 6 it is Don, it would be a pleasure.
Old 19-10-2016, 16:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I just brought our boat UP from California to Vancouver Island. You need to do a lot more homework & research, 'cuz all your questions have been ones that all newcomers ask. Entering Mexico? C'mon, I chose to go north instead of south, but read Latitude 38, they have a guide to doing Mexico. Google can be your friend.

Two highly regarded and now personally familiar with guide books for PNW to SD:

Exploring the Pacific Coast - Don Douglass --- superb for offshore and inshore routing

Charlie's Charts of the US Pacific Coast - great for harbors and bar entrances

BOTH of these books explain routing and answer a lot of your questions about when to leave, what to watch out for, etc.

PLEASE, please, please, continue to ask questions, but get some basic guidebooks that will fill in 95% of what you need to know. We're here for the other 5%.

Safe journey.

If you want to read about my bar crossings galore (we harbor hopped up and saw ALL of them), and rounding the Capes:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016
Thanks Stu.
I will get the book you suggest. I admit I do know some of the answers I'm asking, it's an attempt to continue the dialogue, inspire questions from other noobs and hopefully get you salt's to tell storys and give good advice. So far it's working,, you're proof of that.
Old 19-10-2016, 19:55   #29

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Yes, solo, but I've got a couple of offer's, from guy's with more experience than I have, especially with this run, to go along with me, at least to SF, maybe Ensenada, I think I'll take them up on it, might be the smart thing to do, I have an almost new 38 HP Beta Marine in my boat and plan on taking backup everything, won't be bringing her back to States, I plan on just keep going, been living in Thailand, working overseas since 09, but I wanted to buy my boat in the US or Mexico, want to do the Milk Run, no schedule, just seasons and weather, from Mexico it will be just me, my surveyor took his Pacific Seacraft 37 from WA to Mexico then then SP, stayed in the SP 3 years but brought his back, the books mentioned above sound good to me so I'll get them, hopefully, if something doesn't get in my way, I can make this happen, good insight here on CF, keep it coming, thanks
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 20:39   #30

Boat: Ericson 35-2

With civil war in Yemen and Syria, milk run is not such a milk run nowadays.

About the offshore route.

That's the only way I've done it myself, and yeah we had a couple of days of running under storm job alone, which was a lot of fun more than anything else. But every person with an actual experience of both options that I have asked about this choice told me to go offshore. FWIW, the following reasons were given: (a) no traffic, (b) smoother swell off Oregon coast (that has a pretty wide shelf), (c) much less fog, (d) staying far away from what can become a dangerous lee shore with no refuge for tens of miles, (e) takes less time under sail.

Obviously, either way is doable, so whatever works.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, sail, sailing