Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2011, 14:13   #1

Sailing from the Marquesas to Mexico

We are in the south Pacific and looking at sailing back to Mexico. We do not really want to go north or south first. Has anyone sailed from Marquesas to Mexico somewhat directly?

Sailing Vessel Pincoya
pincoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 14:32   #2

Re: Sailing from the Marquesas to Mexico

You can motor it, but that would be one heck of a long slosh. Without going north to slip between the westerly north equatorial current and the westerly convergence zone, you'd be fighting westerly currents the entire way. The only reasonable choice is heading towards Hawaii until you hit the current shift and then riding it in towards Panama before heading north. I'd luv to hear first hand accounts of someone whose actually tried to motor it though.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 15:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincoya1 View Post
We are in the south Pacific and looking at sailing back to Mexico. We do not really want to go north or south first. Has anyone sailed from Marquesas to Mexico somewhat directly?

Sailing Vessel Pincoya
We have not done that specific passage, but have sailed from Costa Rica to the Marquesas and from the Marquesas to Hawaii.

My impression is that you could have a decent close reach to about 10N 120W (About 1700nm). The last few 100 miles will probably be in light and fluky winds in the doldrums. From there you have 1000nm to Mexico upwind. If you aim at southern Mexico the winds will probably be lighter and perhaps enough of an angle to make it on one long tack. If you aim at northern Mexico they will probably be stronger and right up the course (you would want to tack on small shifts).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 10:07   #4

Most of your decision(in my opinion) should be based on how well your boat sails to windward. If you are trying to do it in a Westsail 32 or some other bluff bow boat, you might rethink your plan or be prepared for a long frustrating trip. I was in the Marquesas in 76 when a boat left there for San Diego. It was a beautiful old wooden boat that was badly neglected. We all thought that it was a suicide delivery, but I ran into the Skipper a few months later and he said that the boat went to weather so well that the trip was not too bad. It was a 40 foot L Giles design that was narrow and low, and sailed wonderfully . He also said that they pumped about 15 minutes out of every hour for the whole trip. The engine died a few days out and batteries went dead for the whole trip, but the basic sailing ability of the boat(and crew) made it a good trip.____Just something to think about.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marquesas, Mexico, sailing