Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2014, 20:15   #1

Sailing Corpus Christi

Hello everyone, my dad has recently found a sailboat that he would like to purchase and keep in Corpus Christi Harbor. The boat seems to be exactly what he wants exept the draft depth is 7'1", is this going to be a problem in CC Harbor or in CC bay? It shows on a depth chart we looked at the other day that the depth entering the harbor may only be 6'? Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

NJB
NJB001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 21:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Sailing Corpus Christi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJB001 View Post
Hello everyone, my dad has recently found a sailboat that he would like to purchase and keep in Corpus Christi Harbor. The boat seems to be exactly what he wants exept the draft depth is 7'1", is this going to be a problem in CC Harbor or in CC bay? It shows on a depth chart we looked at the other day that the depth entering the harbor may only be 6'? Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

NJB
Don't worry about it. We draw 6'4", and spent about 3.5 years there. We are in Port Aransas now. The bay is 12-15 feet. The harbor is mostly over 8 feet. There are boats in there that draw 8+.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 08:50   #3

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

The depth of that bay and marina are not going to be a problem. Go for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 17:52   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Keep an eye on the weather. I don’t think that the Corpus Christi marina would offer much protection if a big storm comes in.
Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 19:15   #5

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailing Corpus Christi

Quote:

NJB
Hmmm ... Haven't been down Texasway in 20 years or so but I doubt things have gotten deeper. I won't argue the point that you can get in and out with a deep draft boat but your dad will be severely limited beyond that if he has any thoughts about cruising or gunk holing anywhere along the ICW or the Laguna Madre, Padre island, etc.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 16:09   #6

Boat: 45 Hunter Passage - On-On

We live at the city marina in Corpus Christi you should be ok for the bulk of the bay and marina
8ft or more little much is a little touch

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mholubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:41   #7

Boat: Perry 47 - Second Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmundsteele View Post
Keep an eye on the weather. I don’t think that the Corpus Christi marina would offer much protection if a big storm comes in.
Ed
CC Marina was built to withstand a category 3 hurricane with a 13 foot storm surge depending on which dock you are on. It's theoretical but better thought out than most marinas in the area.
MadSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:08   #8

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSailors View Post
CC Marina was built to withstand a category 3 hurricane with a 13 foot storm surge depending on which dock you are on. It's theoretical but better thought out than most marinas in the area.
That may not help, since during Ike on September 12, the rising storm surge began overtopping the 17-ft (5.2 m) Galveston Seawal

I have a friend who saved his boat in an earlier hurricane by sailing up the trinity and anchoring there. All the docks had floated away from the Hilton Marina in Clear Lake while he was gone. I don't know how you'd do that now, as there is low bridge over the trinity for I-10. But in Corpus I wonder where'd you go?
Old 08-08-2014, 13:33   #9

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

I grew up as a kid sailing everywhere on CC Bay (and up and down the inside water) until I was out of college. I'd state strongly that if your dad wants to actually cruise and anchor out for the night in coves and back bays and get away from traffic, then 7 feet is ridiculously too deep. So it depends on what kind of sailing he wants to do. Check out NOAA chart 11309 and make up your own mind - note that CC Bay has a natural depth never more than 15 feet. I think that with all the spoil banks and shoals and channel edges, you'll become an expert at kedging off after a while. I have an old friend who keeps a 6.5 ft. draft boat in the marina, and he says he has to be verrry careful.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 16:18   #10

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sailing Corpus Christi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
I grew up as a kid sailing everywhere on CC Bay (and up and down the inside water) until I was out of college. I'd state strongly that if your dad wants to actually cruise and anchor out for the night in coves and back bays and get away from traffic, then 7 feet is ridiculously too deep. So it depends on what kind of sailing he wants to do. Check out NOAA chart 11309 and make up your own mind - note that CC Bay has a natural depth never more than 15 feet. I think that with all the spoil banks and shoals and channel edges, you'll become an expert at kedging off after a while. I have an old friend who keeps a 6.5 ft. draft boat in the marina, and he says he has to be verrry careful.
It's funny how there is such a difference of opinion here with what is basically a simple concept. Compare my experience in Post #5 and this post against the remainder saying "no problem." Maybe the bigger boat folks just are not gunkholer-cruisers because of the extra physical work and hassles.

Horses for courses.

My first Texas coast boat was a 30' that drew 5' and it was too much for my kind of day to day adventures and rowing dinghy excursions. I then built a little Wharram cat in Galveston Bay sans dinghy and had shallow water cruising beyond measure.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 16:37   #11

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Quote:

NJB
I too say no problem.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:10   #12

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Our draft is seven feet. This past May we spent a week at the Corpus Christi city marina. We had no trouble getting into the marina, and only a slight problem leaving. Attempting to stay a little to starboard of the water in the marina, we found a shallow spot and came to a halt. Took all of 30 seconds to back away from the muddy knoll and get back underway. To me, this is no big deal.

If your dad wants to go sailing on Corpus Christi Bay, he will have no problem with water depth. There is a lot of water that he can sail in safely. If he wants blue water, the trip across the bay to Port Aransas is easy, even with his draft.

As some other posters have noted, if he wants to pull up to the bank and get out of the boat, his options will be very limited. There are some places he can anchor out overnight, but his draft will greatly limit the options.

By the way, the City marina is very nice. I can understand why he would want to keep his boat there.
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing