Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Sailing Competencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by briesey View Post
Thanks, will be joining a club soon so will explore, the other question I have is, you need a boat license inland, you need a car license on land, if you drive heavy equipment your required to have a specific license and associated training, what license/training is required to take a vessel off shore (outside australian waters) other than I think I know how to do it, is there a specific requirement in training and accreditation to do this?
No, you don't need anything and that is one of the joys of cruising but a sure as eggs this will change; enjoy while we can
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:58   #17

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by briesey View Post
Thanks, will be joining a club soon so will explore, the other question I have is, you need a boat license inland, you need a car license on land, if you drive heavy equipment your required to have a specific license and associated training, what license/training is required to take a vessel off shore (outside australian waters) other than I think I know how to do it, is there a specific requirement in training and accreditation to do this?
Your Victorian boat licence covers you for interstate and international travel on any boat that you own,

Right up to a super tanker, as long as you own it and dont use it for trade of any kind,

passengers or freight, you need a masters certificate, but I am not going into that as I dont know the full rules on it,

The only thing I have, is a Victorian boat licence and a VHF licence which you need also. off shore,

And I sailed my Cat back from Fiji,

Cheers,
Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Your Victorian boat licence covers you for interstate and international travel on any boat that you own,.......,
Just a small technical correction if I may Mr B.

The Victorian licence is required for Victorians waters and you get reciprocal rights in other Aussie state waters while you are visiting or passing through state waters as you rightly posted but it doesn't matter a tinkers toss on the high seas as no licence is required by Australian Authorities when sailing (recreationally) in international waters. I accept it is a mute point for most of us as we have to transverse our state waters to go international.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 12-03-2012, 03:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just a small technical correction if I may Mr B.

The Victorian licence is required for Victorians waters and you get reciprocal rights in other Aussie state waters while you are visiting or passing through state waters as you rightly posted but it doesn't matter a tinkers toss on the high seas as no licence is required by Australian Authorities when sailing (recreationally) in international waters.
Thats even better, I didnt know that, Thanks,
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Thats even better, I didnt know that, Thanks,
And what is even better IMO, is that no licence is required if your boat doesn't have an engine. AFAIK, this applies to all Oz states (certainly Vic & WA).

From Transport Safety Victoria "An operator of any vessel including yachts and trailer sailers will be required to hold a recreational boat operator licence if that vessel is fitted with a motor used for propulsion."

Sometimes I would just rather have a nice 35 ft sailing yacht (no engine) and not worry about registration and licensing etc
Old 12-03-2012, 03:38   #21

I dont sail very well, So I need a motor to get me out there and back again,

out there I just sail, no probs,

I think my Gemini is a bit big to row, Hahahaha Not that I have tried,
Scary enough getting into a crowded Marina to get diesel on the motor,, Mooloolabah, Yeeeaaacchhhhh,

The fuel is way down the back,

Tags
sailing