Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 01:22   #46

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Sailing Beaufort to Miami -> Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I have attached a screen shot of the Florida coastline showing the location of the Gulf Stream. More importantly, the screen shot shows a " reverse" current going in a southerly direction along the coast of Florida.
The counter current West of the Gulf Stream is well known and less easy to find. It is not continuous. It's generally about half a knot. Inlet hopping on coastal transits (I'm still differentiating between coastal and offshore) the counter currents (and further North cold eddies) certainly help. The downside of inlet hopping is all the time and fuel consumed getting out of and into inlets. Unless you are running 36 hour (ish - I have not run numbers) hops you are likely to make more progress on the ICW, except perhaps in Georgia.

If the goal is to get to the Bahamas and the time frame is late Fall I counsel leaving Chesapeake Bay and heading straight for the Gulf Stream. On most boats within a day of the safe water buoy you'll be in much warmer conditions. Four or five days to Dorian-stricken Abacos, a day more to Nassau (less to Spanish Wells), another day to George Town. Of course you miss what you may want to see on the ICW. I've seen as much as I care to. *grin* For those who have not done it before there is merit.

For the OP already in Beaufort, getting across the Gulf Stream is likely to take an extra half day or a bit more to get warm. That is still a lot faster to shorts and t-shirts (at least in daytime) than running West of the Gulf Stream.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:34   #47

"What is it about traveling the ICW that so many people hate?"

BRIDGES , and lazy bridge tenders.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:17   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

...I've done the direct offshore route to the B'mas, but have mixed opinions on it.

...For one, one tends to be in the Gulf Stream longer, as it becomes wider, which means going backwards longer.
...Two, the Gulf Stream starts to meander quite a bit by the time it is at north Florida/Georgia, etc and one could be in the "meander" for some time. True, one can get very accurate daily Gulf Stream maps (at a price), but if you are just winging it, this becomes a crap shoot.
...Lastly, a late fall/early winter departure means the likelihood of crossing the stream in a nor'easter goes up exponentially.
..Much has been posted about being in the stream with a north wind and while it can certainly be tumultuous, it is quite doable, though I very much doubt a newbie sailor would think so.
...At the end of the day, in my humble opinion, going down the coast or going offshore to the B'mas is six of one and a half dozen of the other, but either beats the ICW :-)
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:24   #49

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
...I've done the direct offshore route to the B'mas, but have mixed opinions on it.

...For one, one tends to be in the Gulf Stream longer, as it becomes wider, which means going backwards longer.
Not based on my experience and analysis. You're in the Gulf Stream longer where it runs slower. Drift is about the same. I'm working on a "science project" with Frank Bohlen (UConn) and Chris Parker to differentiate my baseline 135T default from Chris' practice of running the beach. We'll publish the findings.

Quote:
...Two, the Gulf Stream starts to meander quite a bit by the time it is at north Florida/Georgia, etc and one could be in the "meander" for some time. True, one can get very accurate daily Gulf Stream maps (at a price), but if you are just winging it, this becomes a crap shoot.
Good Gulf Stream data is free.

Quote:
...Lastly, a late fall/early winter departure means the likelihood of crossing the stream in a nor'easter goes up exponentially.
Recognizing they don't pop up from nowhere. Good weather information onboard offshore is a must.

Quote:
..Much has been posted about being in the stream with a north wind and while it can certainly be tumultuous, it is quite doable, though I very much doubt a newbie sailor would think so.
Strongly agree. On delivery I've loaded up to head out in conditions that keep most cruisers waiting. I've even given talks at marinas when there is time. I've had people ask if they could follow me. *grin* Only if they can keep up.

Quote:
...At the end of the day, in my humble opinion, going down the coast or going offshore to the B'mas is six of one and a half dozen of the other, but either beats the ICW :-)
Coastal will take at least twice as long as offshore.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:15   #50

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Quick note of the dehydrated food. For anyone planning on using some look at Peak Refuel. This stuff is good. I use it back packing and it is tasty. Not just tasty for dehydrated food but genuinely good.

https://peakrefuel.com/

Foster
flee27 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, beaufort, miami, sail, sailing