Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2010, 10:37   #1

Boat: Morgan 383 - "Spirit"
Sailing Anyone ?

With a bit of trepidation I write this... Last year I took a one week sailing course and received my bare boat charter certification. Since then, I have rented a couple of sailboats for day excursions. The cost of these rentals was astronomical so I decided to just buy a boat and use it whenever I desire. I bought a Morgan 383 and have spent the last two months getting her ship shape. She now has new sails, GPS, new fuel system, new bilge pump, some new running rigging, etc. I'm extremely happy with the boat. What I'd like to do now is meet others who enjoy sailing as much as I do. I'd like to do some local sailing (Tampa FL area), learn more about the boat and sailing, and at some point venture out and do some cruising. I'm not really the 'yacht club' type. I'm a no agenda, no dues, and no stress kind of a guy. I just want to learn as much as possible while having some fun. My friends were very enthusiastic about sailing before I got the boat, but now the enthusiasm has given way to their schedules (too busy). So, at the risk of sounding pathetic I'm going to ask... Anyone in the Tampa area up for a sail? If so, let's talk.
David SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 11:09   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
David, A bit of advice.
Don't ask anyone who doesn't already sail or even have a boat. You'll get the sickies, the drinkers, those who want to fish and ones who are all thumbs.

I suggest you talk to people already in your marina. People you see often that do take their boat out. These are the best of the guest you will find. At least, that's been my experience.
Old 22-05-2010, 13:39   #3
TEE

Competent, experienced crew are invaluable. I might suggest you find the local ocean sailing club or ocean racing club and join it. People of like minds about sailing with experience are likely to be there. You might check out this club Davis Island Yacht Club or other similar organizations, or meet some of these people who own boats at the marina. Dues at most ocean racing clubs are minimal if that is a concern. For instance, in Charleston where I live it costs $35 a year and that includes 7 free meals at the monthly meetings. Even if you don't like racing, you can leave an awful lot about sailing by doing at least a bit of racing as crew on somebody else's boat.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 16:50   #4

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
There's a phrase I've been taught: "90% of sailing is simply showing up".

As was previously stated, check around your marina and make friends. People will sail on your boat, and you may be invited to sail on other people's boats. Sailing on different boats provides invaluable experience.

There are also "crew wanted/crew available" sections on most online sailing forums. There's also an publication called Spinsheet where you can advertise your desire for crew.

Some of these folks will be people with NO sailing experience, that are looking for teachers, so you'll have to decide if you want an inexperienced sailor onboard that you have to instruct or if you only want skilled company.

Look within your sailing social circle. You'll find people. I have no shortage of folks offering me rides, and asking to ride with me.
Old 22-05-2010, 19:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It is really weird but keeping a crew together is one of the tougher things to do, and the more crew you want the harder it is. It seems counter-intuitive as, "who wouldn't want to go sailing for free?"

Although I can easily single hand the boat I like to sail with 5 for races. I have a list of 7 folks and make sure that we have lots of fun between races and that everyone gets to play with the boat on booze cruises. On race day there it is usually me skippering although I have played pit/tactician at times.

Some of the responsibilities required to keep a crew interested and happy.

- the skipper is responsible for keeping the boat seaworthy. My crew is great. Over time they have become a valuable resource and pitch in on cleaning, hauling, painting etc. But in the beginning and even now. The boat maintenance is my problem.
- Boat atmosphere. If the boat is no fun people will come once, twice if lucky and that's it.
- Provisioning. No matter what you say there are those that expect a free sail, a free lunch and free beer. For races and regattas I provision the boat. For booze cruises it's BYO.
- Slave labor - If all you want me on board for is to be the labor that runs your boat. I am likely not going to stick around. I'd like to handle the tiller/wheel at times. I maybe don't want to be on the foredeck all the time. I maybe get tired of being the guy who always is below on the beat packing the chute.

Now - If and when your boat becomes a "desirable" boat to be on - which usually means a good atmosphere and a winning boat - you can be more of a Captain Bligh. On tehj other side of the coin there are crew that become "desirable" crew - primarily by showing up on time, knowing the bow from the stern, working hard and being easy to get along with..

I'd love to hear from other skipper's regarding crew manning strategies.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 05:26   #6

David

Where are you docked/moored in the Tampa area?
If you are Bay side of things I would suggest looking into Tampa Sailing Squadron in Apollo Beach. Not an expensive who's who type of club, just a bunch of people that like to sail and be around sailors. I'm not a member (yet) but attend most all of their functions as they welcome all sailors with open arms.
I have sailing experience, although no cruising time. All of it day sails or racing in protected waters such a Tampa Bay. Since I am boat less at the current time I am always looking for a chance to sail.
raisin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 07:26   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
It is really weird but keeping a crew together is one of the tougher things to do, and the more crew you want the harder it is. It seems counter-intuitive as, "who wouldn't want to go sailing for free?"

Although I can easily single hand the boat I like to sail with 5 for races. I have a list of 7 folks and make sure that we have lots of fun between races and that everyone gets to play with the boat on booze cruises. On race day there it is usually me skippering although I have played pit/tactician at times.

Some of the responsibilities required to keep a crew interested and happy.

- the skipper is responsible for keeping the boat seaworthy. My crew is great. Over time they have become a valuable resource and pitch in on cleaning, hauling, painting etc. But in the beginning and even now. The boat maintenance is my problem.
- Boat atmosphere. If the boat is no fun people will come once, twice if lucky and that's it.
- Provisioning. No matter what you say there are those that expect a free sail, a free lunch and free beer. For races and regattas I provision the boat. For booze cruises it's BYO.
- Slave labor - If all you want me on board for is to be the labor that runs your boat. I am likely not going to stick around. I'd like to handle the tiller/wheel at times. I maybe don't want to be on the foredeck all the time. I maybe get tired of being the guy who always is below on the beat packing the chute.

Now - If and when your boat becomes a "desirable" boat to be on - which usually means a good atmosphere and a winning boat - you can be more of a Captain Bligh. On tehj other side of the coin there are crew that become "desirable" crew - primarily by showing up on time, knowing the bow from the stern, working hard and being easy to get along with..

I'd love to hear from other skipper's regarding crew manning strategies.
Great post Dan.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 08:40   #8

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
For us sailors, it is difficult to fully understand why EVERYONE is not frantic to get on the boat for a sail or even short Cruise.... but it just does not often happen sucessfully...

Tons of people say they want to go sailing until they really have the opportunity and then for many real and imaginary reasons the number of these want to go sailing become can't go this time or just not sure sailing is for them (often those who fear the boat must surly be about to sink when on any surface that is not flat).

Best bet is to always go for the boat you can single hand when you wish. Do not make your boating dreams Dependant on having other people as interested or available when you want to go. If you do find some, that is great and will break up your single handing outings but if you are Dependant on a crew... your sailing will often become just too much trouble and the boat will set at the dock and fall apart as your use and visits become less frequent.

As indicated in the other post, you do need to develop you circle of sailor friends, active and past sailors who no longer have access to a boat for various reasons. While I really do not care for the racing end of sailing nor the real Yacht Club environment... you can find interested sailors who share the love of sailing and possibly cruising even if they do race sometime.

Best of luck!
Old 26-01-2011, 11:47   #9

Tampa Sailing

I know this is an old thread, but I'd love to go anytime! I've been sailing for a about a year and a half; mostly on little Ideal18's. I have a lot to learn, but I'm not completely green and have taken lessons. PS - I'm not a creeper looking to go out, get drunk, sit on my ass and take advantage of someone's invite. I just love to sail, and haven't saved enough for my own boat yet.
BarefootNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34   #10

pirate Re: Sailing Anyone ?

David SW
just found the forum.. and saw your post

we have been to a few sailing events at Tampa Sailing Squadron in Apollo Beach .. we have been working to get our own boat
been ckin craigslist for a medium sized sailboat on a trailer.
have wrote many asking if they would be willing to do a trade on a collector old motorcycle thats awful pirdy for something that doesn't even interest me called a Honda euro-sport that hubby even said we could use to work our way to getting it. That nice hes willing to do that for me.

... saving money then of course will be the initial membership fee they have... after that we will need to squirrel away membership fees towards each years renewal. We kinda in the air of if we will stay in the area to begin with so thats kinda a factor in the mix as well.. but sailing our own boat we own is high on my bucket list.

I have been trying to get my husband accustomed to whats involved in sailing. sure would be nice for a fellow fellow to befriend (is that the word ) a green horn to sailing...

I really like the people at the marina in Apollo beach and would hate to ware out our welcome before we get a chance to join.. but have heard others on line and even at the event to just show up make friends and learn from anyone willing to shave the fun of sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by David SW View Post
With a bit of trepidation I write this... Last year I took a one week sailing course and received my bare boat charter certification. Since then, I have rented a couple of sailboats for day excursions. The cost of these rentals was astronomical so I decided to just buy a boat and use it whenever I desire. I bought a Morgan 383 and have spent the last two months getting her ship shape. She now has new sails, GPS, new fuel system, new bilge pump, some new running rigging, etc. I'm extremely happy with the boat. What I'd like to do now is meet others who enjoy sailing as much as I do. I'd like to do some local sailing (Tampa FL area), learn more about the boat and sailing, and at some point venture out and do some cruising. I'm not really the 'yacht club' type. I'm a no agenda, no dues, and no stress kind of a guy. I just want to learn as much as possible while having some fun. My friends were very enthusiastic about sailing before I got the boat, but now the enthusiasm has given way to their schedules (too busy). So, at the risk of sounding pathetic I'm going to ask... Anyone in the Tampa area up for a sail? If so, let's talk.
gjshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 14:09   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Sailing Anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjshad View Post
I really like the people at the marina in Apollo beach and would hate to ware out our welcome before we get a chance to join.. but have heard others on line and even at the event to just show up make friends and learn from anyone willing to shave the fun of sailing
You would not learn anything from me then, as i am not willing to shave for anyone. Welcome to the forum.

Coops.
Old 06-09-2012, 14:19   #12

whoops ... share the fun of sailing
gjshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 15:38   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

The original is a pretty old thread. Maybe advertise in the crew section?
kind regards,