Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 08:05   #61
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Sailing and Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Happens all the time. DUI has turned into a huge source of revenue. It is no longer about safety it's about collecting money. I know at least 3 people with similar stories and some with worse. It's totally out of control.

I wonder if anyone has challenged it to the Supreme Court? It just seems to fly in the face of the Constitution to me.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17   #62

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a world of difference between having a sundowner on board at anchor and someone temporarily taking helm while the owner pees in the head....as the sheriff slams his boat into your drifting boat at over 50 mph in stone darkness. isnt dinius, mon-- was the abusive sheriff.

is difficult to think that one sundowner could be a performance detriment--is something that drinkers should consider--
one sundowner is not a bottle of rum. nor is it a 6-pak of beer.

A sundowner is acceptable and wont cause a disruption in ability to handle boat. moderation is key.
This is pure common sense. Its too bad nanny state authorities no longer see it that way. Overzealous law enforcement without any connection to the community seems the way police forces are going these days. Different situation but same idea: Friends were riding snowmobiles through a snow-covered recreation field. It was obviously not being used as covered with 12" of snow but technically riding wasn't permitted there. In my day, local cops would have told the guys to move on elsewhere. These guys had the snowmobiles impounded and were arrested. Cops actually had them wait while flatbeds came out and hauled them away. This kind of stuff creeps up on you and you don't realize it until its too late.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11   #63
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

neko--correct--usa is rapidly joining ye in oz in that nanny bs..is sad.....folks making choices should be allowed to reside within those choices and the results will happen as should--is a darwin thing, not a government thing, and governments have gained so much control in both oz and here without most folks even realizing---i am so glad i am already out sailing---is becoming way too depressing, now----
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51   #64
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
It's everywhere.
Over here they're considering raising the drinking age from 16 to 18, and even enforcing it...
You have a legal drinking age !!, here its just you cant buy the stuff till 18, you can drink it at any age. ( ie I can give my 10 year old a small glass of wine in a restaurant if I want)

Never did understand the "legal drinking age " thing, I mean if it was so , the cops would be fully occupied prosecuting all that drinking in parks and fields behind the housing estates!.

Dave
Old 01-05-2013, 22:24   #65

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Not at all. It is called "Care and control" You have the keys, you could drive.
The point is THAT YOU ARE NOT. It's exactly the same as owning a gun causing you to land you a murder conviction (not even attempted murder, no, MURDER). Or owning sheep landing you a bestiality conviction.

It is totally, and utterly, absurd, and it is amazing that there are so-called intelligent people out there that defend this.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 22:58   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

In this part of the world we are very civilised. Never seen the CG or anyone else comming anywhere near you unless you drown/kill somebody ..... Now time to unpack LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer on board.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	60264  
Old 01-05-2013, 23:16   #67

Keep these threads going. I need occasional reminders of why not to ever go back to the nanny state.

Such laws are not enforced in any way in the delightful parts if the world and society has not come apart at the seams. In fact it seems *more* civilized in paradise ... And only a tiny bit more dangerous.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 23:34   #68

<< It is called "Care and control" You have the keys, you could drive.>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
The point is THAT YOU ARE NOT. It's exactly the same as owning a gun causing you to land you a murder conviction (not even attempted murder, no, MURDER).
Your analogy falls down, it seems to me, because it misses the crucial element of intoxication, which involves diminished judgement.

A slight improvement to your analogy would be a law which forbids being intoxicated in possession of a gun.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 23:47   #69

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Well to tell the truth I don't what the law is for this in New Zealand but I have never heard of a boaty ever being breathalized by the cops. Although it is worth pointing out that our cops on the water all seem to be sensible people who are actually out there to help people not just gather convictions in order to get a promotion or under the quota system for traffic tickets like their less than honest land based cousins.

So some of you guys will not want to be here as we do drink on board and some of you will think like me that less nanny state is better. And before I get flamed as a drunk skipper I believe that it is all about personal responsibility and no law enforcement nazi can force you into that. You either take responsibility or you don't.
NZGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:25   #70

Boat: Bristol 27

It's been my experience that if you are not totally sh!tfaced the cops will usually not ticket you unless there is an accident or maybe a DUI checkpoint in place. We all know that if they really wanted to arrest drunks all they would have to do would be to monitor the bars and follow those that have been there all night...............

As far as on the boat, you can usually find a remote location for your sixpack where no one really gives a crap how much you drink. You have to use you head and not get hammered in an area where it's crowded or is normally patrolled. And again, if it's the stormy season you still have to be able to function in case of bad weather......................
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55   #71
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
As far as I am aware, in Tasmania you cannot be booked for being drunk at anchor. Neither can you be booked for being drunk under sail. You can definitely be booked for being drunk under motor.
Another good reason to luv this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
<< It is called "Care and control" You have the keys, you could drive.>

Your analogy falls down, it seems to me, because it misses the crucial element of intoxication, which involves diminished judgement.

A slight improvement to your analogy would be a law which forbids being intoxicated in possession of a gun.
So a drunk woman could be charged with prostitution then but a drunk man couldn't be charged with rape???

No, the whole idea of being charged with DUI while sleeping it off in the passenger seat is BS.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:07   #72
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing and Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

No, the whole idea of being charged with DUI while sleeping it off in the passenger seat is BS.
A speciality of the UK police force...
Mind I notice the Italian C&I have followed the US of A with stupidity... X-ray everything and search before boarding... then X-ray and scan disembarking.... WTF are we supposed to get anything at 35,000ft doing 690kts... DUHHHHH

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Wow ... can't drink while at anchor? Here in the true north strong and free (Canada) you can drink while anchored or at a dock. You cannot drink while "operating." As long as you are "fixed" to the land in some way (anchor, moor, dock), then you are not considered to be under way -- not operating.

I guess I'll have to be careful in some US states, and places like Oz.
right on dude ..you still got that gramp for sale this spring? was reading your old posts,, just curious,,thanx
bottomend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
I will recount my own DUI offense.

I got plastered at the local yacht club. Tried to get a taxi back to the boat, no taxis. So went down to the carpark and crawled into the passenger seat of my car, and proceeded to sleep it off. Plod arrived about 3.oo am, tapping on the window. By trickery, they ascertained that I had the keys in my pocket, breathalysed me, and the rest is history.

I am now extremely careful with mixing alcohol and police.

Lee
I AGREE ENOUGH SAID,,, both times i needed a towtruck the accholes called police... u live and learn mostly by your own mistakes,,,,UEZ
bottomend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36   #75

Boat: Rafiki 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomend View Post
right on dude ..you still got that gramp for sale this spring? was reading your old posts,, just curious,,thanx
Sorry bottomend, it just sold.

I'm still amazed that it is a criminal offence to have a drink while at anchor. Come to Canada, the land of the free! At least when it comes to having a few beers at anchor -- just leave your guns at home ;-)

Tags
sailing