Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 01:20   #31

Re: Sailing a Bavaria 50 Alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I believe that anybody who is asking such a question cannot.
I disagree!!!

I was asking similar questions although of a 40 footer and the comments from people here encouraged me to go that way.

However as a reality check I did charter a Bavaria 39 for a few days with a skipper and we discussed at length soloing and tried some of the things discussed which gave me the confidence that it was the way to go

I did end up hiring the same skipper for the first week onboard my yacht as a security measure
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:06   #32

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

There is a huge difference between singlehanding a 40 footer and a fifty footer. Let's just assume that the 50 footer has all electric winches etc etc etc - otherwise for 100lb. person (unless they have spent all their time pumping iron), just hoisting the mainsail is a non-starter - it simply weighs too much

The same goes for rolling in the genua or taking a couple of extra turns to taut up the genua sheets (and yes I do know that when single-handing, you have to fall off to do these things).

So let's just assume pure physical strength for hoisting sails or tauting sheets is not a problem because everything is electrical.

When she tries to dock this thing and is lugging say 20-30 meters of 1 or 1 1/4 inch 3 braid around, she will have a serious problem - How much do you think 20-30 meters weigh? Not to mention 100 lbs females generally have small hands, she might not even be able to "get her hands around 30 meters".

This is not to say she can't possibly do it. I know one woman who single-hands a 54 footer and she weighs in at about 105. But she's been singlehanding for twenty years and started on a much smaller boat. She also says that the 54 footer is actually too big for her. she tries very hard to stay away from hard weather.

I with Barnakiel - if she has to ask the question, then the answer (for her) is probably "no".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:54   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
There is a huge difference between singlehanding a 40 footer and a fifty footer. Let's just assume that the 50 footer has all electric winches etc etc etc - otherwise for 100lb. person (unless they have spent all their time pumping iron), just hoisting the mainsail is a non-starter - it simply weighs too much

The same goes for rolling in the genua or taking a couple of extra turns to taut up the genua sheets (and yes I do know that when single-handing, you have to fall off to do these things).

So let's just assume pure physical strength for hoisting sails or tauting sheets is not a problem because everything is electrical.

When she tries to dock this thing and is lugging say 20-30 meters of 1 or 1 1/4 inch 3 braid around, she will have a serious problem - How much do you think 20-30 meters weigh? Not to mention 100 lbs females generally have small hands, she might not even be able to "get her hands around 30 meters".

This is not to say she can't possibly do it. I know one woman who single-hands a 54 footer and she weighs in at about 105. But she's been singlehanding for twenty years and started on a much smaller boat. She also says that the 54 footer is actually too big for her. she tries very hard to stay away from hard weather.

I with Barnakiel - if she has to ask the question, then the answer (for her) is probably "no".
I was more thinking of the OP, not the new profile created for a joke to bait the unsuspecting The should have alerted that the other question was clearly from a troll
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 08:04   #34

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50

Alicyp,

By order:
Yes
No (as a 1rst experience, alone, forget it)
Yes : a single experienced sailor is enough, I often sail with an inexperienced guy and do not put restriction in my program because of it.
2 (may be 1 but never done myself on mine): that what is happening most of the time on our 53'.

As a leisure sailor to an inexperience one like you, my best advice is to start by the start and never forget that sea is a serious business in term of safety. It take some times to be familiar with the environment and the tools.

Depending how much time you can spend on your formation it can be monthes to years to become self sufficent on a 50' and sail safely (this include your crew if you are not alone).

Try sailing as much as you can to see if you really like it, and then become an owner.

After becoming a sailor, you'll have to learn the 2nd job, being an owner...but if you like both, you'll be very satisfied.

Sorry for the shortcuts, but it would not be fair to let you hope anything else, IMHO.
Old 14-08-2014, 08:36   #35

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Just thought I'd point out that the OP's last post was April of 2013.. This old thread was resurrected by that one post user on the 8th.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 13:35   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

I hate to say this but some of us think going to the fuel dock and back to be sailing. Others think sailing is like say at least now and then to cross.

Now this is where the thing splits: a solo soul may like to take a 50'er to the fuel dock, this does not imply this soul has the skills and the guts to take her across.

Be very skeptic sailing any boat alone. And the less skill, the more of a boat, the further offshore, the more be the skeptic.

Bad English? Yes, perhaps ;-)

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 08:02   #37

Boat: Shopping

I am interested in doing the same
GlorytoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 13:02   #38

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50

Let's try to give another answer or another way to answer :

The boat size is not an essential parameter, the skills in sailing and the knowledge of the maritime environment are...

So if you are easy with planning and managing a cruise with a sailboat, safely from departure to arrival in almost any type of weather condition, whatever the boat size, then, YES, you can !

Provide you do all of it on your own...with or without a crew.

If you've never been there...then practice a bit more.
Old 22-07-2016, 15:17   #39

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Re: Sailin Vith Bavaria 50 alone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Tough sea conditions? Here you need to define "tough". Hurricane force? Damn few boats are tough enough for that. Gale and Storm force?
A good skipper is imperative to a boat surviving in a storm. Even the best boat will flounder if the skipper makes bad decisions.
If the conditions are difficult enough even having a good skipper may not make a difference. Fastnet 1978.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 21:55   #40

pirate Re: Sailing a Bavaria 50 Alone?

I sail a Bavaria 50 alone and I'm a girl! It's a lightweight beamy boat high on comfort. It's tough enough to sail around the world despite what the production boat sceptics say. Only 2 months ago I sailed from NZ to Fiji in 40-50 knots and large seas and she handled it fine.

It might be easier to begin on a 42 footer but with bow thrusters and building experience gently a Bavaria 50 will be fine.
Cachalot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 18:37   #41

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachalot666 View Post
I sail a Bavaria 50 alone and I'm a girl! It's a lightweight beamy boat high on comfort. It's tough enough to sail around the world despite what the production boat sceptics say. Only 2 months ago I sailed from NZ to Fiji in 40-50 knots and large seas and she handled it fine.

It might be easier to begin on a 42 footer but with bow thrusters and building experience gently a Bavaria 50 will be fine.
What a great post......to the point written by someone that's doing it.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:32   #42

Boat: Shopping

Looking at single handing a Bavaria 50. Soon with no experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
GlorytoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:41   #43

Boat: Catalina 470

It depends on who the individual is. Some people are just very capable.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:45   #44

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

I think you are being overly ambitious here. I crewed on a 33 foot racing boat for 4 years before purchasing my first boat a 30 footer. I still haven't single handed sailed and find it intimidating. Wanting to single hand sail a 50 footer as your first boat......will WOW!!
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, sailing