Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 16:32   #46

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Re: Sailing 2020 From Chesapeake to Nova Scotia

I am planning on using somewhere in the Halifax area as a jumping off point for a journey way up north later this year. Can anyone suggest a no nonsense marina or dock where I can work on finalising boat readiness for a month or so, also will need to receive a lot of parcels and make many trips to a supermarket.!

I am a solo sailor with no interest in restaurants, bars, nightlife etc, just need a base to get things ready!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 16:36   #47

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter loveridge View Post
last time I went tuna fishing was late September. This was off Port Mouton. Not a fishery for the faint-hearted
Folks, Peter Loveridge "wrote the book" on cruising Nova Scotia. Pay attention to what he says. Is it still available?
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 17:08   #48

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter loveridge View Post
last time I went tuna fishing was late September. This was off Port Mouton. Not a fishery for the faint-hearted
Folks, Peter Loveridge "wrote the book" on cruising Nova Scotia. Pay attention to what he says. Is it still available?
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 20:42   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmowbray View Post
Sable Island is unique for sure but you need to jump through hoops to go ashore there if at all.
This is absolutely NOT true! But people keep saying it for reasons I do not understand.

Apply for the permit at Parks Canada, you'll get it as a matter of routine. We filled out the form and had our permit the next day--no questions asked.

I know what I say is true, because we did it. The park staff is friendly, and they love to have visitors. If you go, you'll probably be there alone. Only 6 to 8 private boats visit a year.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 22:18   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
I am planning on using somewhere in the Halifax area as a jumping off point for a journey way up north later this year. Can anyone suggest a no nonsense marina or dock where I can work on finalising boat readiness for a month or so, also will need to receive a lot of parcels and make many trips to a supermarket.!

I am a solo sailor with no interest in restaurants, bars, nightlife etc, just need a base to get things ready!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Armdale Yacht Club is a small not fancy club, extremely well sheltered, that's mid -priced. They are on-line. It's a 10 minute walk to the largest marine supply store from here and a mile and a half to the grocery store/mall, served by a regular bus route.

Mill Cove Marina in Bedford Basin may also offer what you want- it's a very short walk from there to a grocery store and other retail but much further away from marine and hardware stores. It's in a commercial area, and lacks some charm. It's a basic municipal dock.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:24   #51

Mill Cove has a post office at the grocery store and at the mall near AYC they have both a post office and a DHL center. And a Laura Secord store that sells the best ice cream around.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:00   #52

Boat: Mirage,schmit,27'

A friend of mine stayed a few days on the docks beside de Dartmouth ferry dock.Cost 50
cents to downtown Halifax.
copaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:20   #53

Boat: Aloha 10.4

What are folks using for charts? As far as I can tell there are no “Chart Kits” available for Canadian waters
CapnMarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:31   #54

Boat: Hans Christian 41

Thank you for the ideas of paces to tie up for a while.

Capnmarden, I have been using this company to source charts,

https://www.nauticalmind.com

my basket is growing daily! Canadian charts are very good as is the support and information online at the canadian hydrographic service website.

I am really looking forward to getting to canada, should be there early May, I am From Scotland and alot of the place names in nova scotia are the same as in Scotland, due to my forefathers being put on ships to Canada to make way for sheep in Scotland!
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:16   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMarden View Post
What are folks using for charts? As far as I can tell there are no “Chart Kits” available for Canadian waters
Chart kits may be found but rare and only for selected areas. All charts are Canadian Hydrographic. Be cautious with your evaluation for safe harbors. We found many areas off the beaten path to be wildly in error. All of the inlets on the north side of Prince Edward Island noted as navigable were impassable.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:29   #56

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

In Halifax, I'd consider the Armdale YC, or the Dartmouth YC, Armdale a bit closer to stores, you can drive your dinghy over to a little park by the roundabout more or less NNE) and then a 10 minute walk to a large shopping centre, and yes, my book still available on a thumb drive, new edition coming
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:49   #57

Boat: Mainship, Pilot, 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis33 View Post
And the Bras D'Or Lakes are gorgeous. If you are able, sail through Lennox Passage and stop in at St-Peter's marina on your way. Say hi to Jerry.

Lots of info here: https://cruising-cape-breton.info/
As someone who lives and cruises in Nova Scotia I would highly recommend coming in July rather than June. By then there's less fog and better temperatures. Also lobster season is closed in the summer.

If you have a lot of time on your hands I would come to Shelburne first, it's a beautiful historic town and is well worth the steam in. Next I would stop at Carter's Beach just off Port Mouton, the waters are turquoise with a white sandy beach. Then I would go on to Lunenburg. Plan to spend a few days here. Aside from being a UNESCO World Heritage Site it has a working waterfront, a terrific Maritime Museum, excellent restaurants and is a great place to meet cruisers from all over the world. Mahone Bay should be your next stop. Lots of islands here to pull up to, drop the hook and spend a nice evening. This is also a chance to visit the famed Oak Island. Next on to Halifax. I would recommend staying at the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron (the oldest yacht club in the Americas). There's lots to see and visit here. Then if you decide to go further east I would highly recommend proceeding up the eastern shore to Shelter Island the first night then perhaps Yankee Cove then as Nemesis 33 recommend travel through the Lennox Passage and then on to St. Peter's and definitely stay at the marina there and say hi to Jerry. He will direct you to all the hot spots to see in the Bras' D'Ors. But, Maskell's Harbour is a must. It is the birthplace of the Cruising Club of America so it's always good to pay homage and it's just a beautiful spot to spend a day. Here's a link to a great guide endorsed by the CCA and RNSYS.
https://ca.binnacle.com/p413/Cruisin...ml#description
Foto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 18:59   #58

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
This is absolutely NOT true! But people keep saying it for reasons I do not understand.

Apply for the permit at Parks Canada, you'll get it as a matter of routine. We filled out the form and had our permit the next day--no questions asked.

I know what I say is true, because we did it. The park staff is friendly, and they love to have visitors. If you go, you'll probably be there alone. Only 6 to 8 private boats visit a year.

this is dead on. we did it also, in 2017. fabulous visit, well worth the effort.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 19:08   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by copaco View Post
A friend of mine stayed a few days on the docks beside de Dartmouth ferry dock.Cost 50
cents to downtown Halifax.

been a while since the fare was 50 cents! I think its $2.50 now (that's what, $.25 USD??!!)... but it's still the cheapest and best harbor tour going! especially if you time the crossing right and catch one of the mid-harbor fireworks shows on July 1 (Canada day) or August 1 (Natal day - civic holiday) or some other day when there are festivals in town. frequently the ferry captains just give up trying to pick through the throng of boats for the duration of the show and give the passengers a nice front row show.

the dartmouth dock area at the ferry is definitely low budget... but it's exposed, very public (a hang out for some rather inebriated and excitable folks many nights); and a busy place. With two large (400 Pax) ferries arriving and departing every 15 minutes (7.5 mins during rush hour) it is far from a relaxing locale.
Old 10-03-2020, 19:08   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post

best darn cruising guide ever written about NS... in my humble opinion!

Tags
nova scotia, sail, sailing