Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 15:52   #31

Boat: Beneteau 50
Re: Sailboat Runs Over Divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
The thread title "Sailboat Runs Over Divers" is a little sensational, IMHO.
+0.5

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 15:56   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was planning to dive that bridge in the near future. It's one of the better dives in the area. As far as I know, divers always go there at high tide just for this reason - but still, all the more reason to be extra careful.

Please mind those of us who are in the water without a hard shell around.
Old 31-08-2011, 16:03   #33

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

- Ok ... the sailboat was not in the channel. 1st mistake & very strange.
- Ignoring the flags they drove through, second mistake

This is a good dive sight...NOT a channel. This was just a FOBAR and luckily no one was hurt. My question is where was the Dive boat? Blocking the channel causing the sailboat to go outside the channel?

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 16:07   #34
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is usually no dive boat there - it's a popular shore dive location.
Ignoring dive flags is not a mistake - it's a violation of a law.

As a sailor and a diver, I certainly hope that other sailors, even if not partial to diving, would watch out for dive flags. Just like as a sailor I'd like power boaters to watch out where they leave their wakes.

Water belongs to everyone - it's important to remember there are others out there enjoying it in different ways.
Old 31-08-2011, 16:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post

This is a good dive sight...NOT a channel. This was just a FOBAR and luckily no one was hurt. My question is where was the Dive boat? Blocking the channel causing the sailboat to go outside the channel?

My thoughts exactly. It looks to me in the the beggining the video shows the dive boat IN the channel before it slowly moves on and the sanctimonious comments start from the dive crew. Would not surprise me if the sailboat saw the dive boat IN the center channel perhaps picking up other divers and so headed off to port to avoid it. I think there is more to this story than what is heard from the dive boat video or the TV report.
Old 31-08-2011, 16:20   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

This is one more reason I've never been a proponent self-taught navigation according to the just-buy-a-boat-and-get-out-there school. The sailboat in the video actually hits one of the dive flags. What did he think they were, channel markers?

They look like this, folks. If you've never heard of one, at least take a boater's safety course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	us-dive-flag1.gif
Views:	123
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	31029  
Old 31-08-2011, 16:23   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post

FOBAR? or do you mean FUBAR. What's a FOBAR?
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 16:23   #38

Boat: Seafarer 26
I didn't see a boat or dive flag. They are darn lucky it was a slow sailboat. Once in awhile there is a bald old man swimming in the channel leading to the marina. Total idiot. I had a hard time spotting him and at first I mistook him for a crab pot or seabird. You have to wonder how he managed to live long enough to loose his hair.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 16:39   #39

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

In California, the diver-down flag is not required by law and DOES NOT IN ITSELF RESTRICT USE OF THE WATER. Boaters are expected to exercise caution. Those flags shown in the video are tiny. See post #24.

The porpoise I sometimes see between the Richmond - San Rafael bridge and the Brother Islands notices me before I notice him, and it is able to keep a safe distance even at my top speed of 7.8 knots. A conscious diver should be able to avoid a boat going at about a knot or two as the divers in this instance did. I'm not saying a boater should drive over divers if it is possible to avoid them.

It bugs me that the crowd, diving experts, and newscasters seem to believe the divers "owned" (for their exclusive use) that area of the water. They do not, least not if this happened in California.
Old 31-08-2011, 17:12   #40

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I subsequently checked out Florida boating laws. There, divers must display the flag. Also:

"Boaters must make reasonable efforts to stay 300 feet away from divers-down flags in open water; 100 feet in rivers, inlets, or navigation channels.
Boaters approaching divers-down flags closer than 300 feet in open water and 100 feet in rivers, inlets, or navigation channels must proceed no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway (idle speed)."

Finding himself in the midst of divers, the sailboater appears to have followed the law.
Old 31-08-2011, 17:30   #41
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I subsequently checked out Florida boating laws. There, divers must display the flag. Also:
Finding himself in the midst of divers, the sailboater appears to have followed the law.
"Finding himself in the midst of divers" is the violation. He should not have "found himself" there. Those dive flags were on the surface all the time. It is a responsibility of a captain to post appropriate lookout.

Now, if these were not dive flags but multiple rocks sticking out of the water - do you think he'd be going through that opening?
Old 31-08-2011, 18:00   #42

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
This is one more reason I've never been a proponent self-taught navigation according to the just-buy-a-boat-and-get-out-there school. The sailboat in the video actually hits one of the dive flags. What did he think they were, channel markers?

They look like this, folks. If you've never heard of one, at least take a boater's safety course.
It can also look like this:

GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 18:12   #43

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

After reading the posts I had to watch the video, my Wife having had a very close call in islamorada 3 weeks ago. The first thing I noticed is those dive flags looked like the tiny ones a "conveinience" shop would sell, and not the mandatory 20x24" flag required. I agree the capt should have had a lookout. I think maybe the capt saw their flags ( again they looked way under legal size) too late and if he had to have backed it up he would have prop walked right over them or into the bridge or both.
I watched and screamed and yelled as a boat drove over top of my wife in 13' of water on a full plane. She was less then 75' from our dive boat, with an oversized dive flag, she watched the prop go directly over her and would have been hit if ascending. Neither the CG nor the FWC cared. All the FWC cared about that week was busting lobster divers.
Another sportie for hire was trolling around us at near displ speed within the 300' mark. Then to top it off there was a charter Boat from Tavernier went by us with our divers in the water at at least 10-12 knots. The CG did not care either that I reported it.
They should have, The captain of that boat ran over a father and son client 2 days later putting them both in critical condition.
Thank goodness the divers werent hurt, they should however have had a lookout at the surface to intervene faster given the circumstances.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 19:35   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Both sides seem to share blame in not doing a better job of avoiding each other.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:35   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
It bugs me that the crowd, diving experts, and newscasters seem to believe the divers "owned" (for their exclusive use) that area of the water. They do not, least not if this happened in California.
+1 here

Tags
sailboat