Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 00:34   #31

Re: Sailboat Manufacturing History

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
Hence, my earlier post regarding the advantages of mass production boats for the consumer.

If have the time and are proficient at metal, wood and fiberglass fabrication and/or have the resources to hire those that are, limited production or older (40+ years) boats definitely have their charms.

If, however, you, like most, have limited time and/or resources and modest skills, a late model mass production boat may be a better choice.
Very true. As I have more time than resources I chosen an older limited run boat which was in "B" shape condition but priced very attractively by a 3 boat owner egged on by his less than happy wife. Over the years I actually mostly made improvements to suit my tastes/needs not remediation or cosmetic upgrades as most of the boat's systems and main components are still solid and functioning. And since I don't have that Yankee "nautical" pride background in me I don't care that she does not look "Bristol shape" as I'd rather be sailing a less then the prettiest boat at the mooring field than slaving away in the office to afford one. My consolation is that I do get old salts to give me positive comments on her shape and lines as they recognize a well designed and well made old time New England quality boat.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 05:24   #32

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We all tend to justify our decisions. To include myself. Sometimes we get too excited.

The options in this century are pretty limited. I believe the big shakeout for sailboat manufacturers was in the 1980's. Previous to that you will find lots of manufacturers and after very few. Probably the easier starting point for a new looker would be the big production guys. Catalina, Pearson, Hunter, Oday. Not at all making a point that there weren't any other companies that were making a decent product. It's just that there were so many.

I do believe that you can observe a great deal by visiting boats. You may not understand all the pieces and parts. But you can certainly judge if those pieces or parts have been allowed to decay. It only takes a few seconds to step into a boat and know if it's been loved or abused. As has been mentioned several times in this thread. A lesser brand that has been loved is way preferred over the best brand abused.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 06:43   #33

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
It wasn't my intention to start a brand bashing thread, and I hope that's not what its become.

But as CrazyTalk said, having not grown up around boats, its sometimes hard to navigate through all the different boat manufacturers and designers. Especially because designers names will often show up on descriptions of different brands. The flip side of that is that there's always information on Hunters, Catalinas, and the like... but when there was only 50 boats made of a certain model, it's harder to find anything out.

Not that I'd ever be able to afford a boat where only 50 were made, but you know... nice to be informed and dream!
I wouldn't necessarily look at it that way. My current boat is one of 6 made. The earlier models of the same designer and builder had over 300 built. They weren't widely know or considered one of the big guys. However from everything I've seen the build quality was good to great and the materials used were good as well. Now because almost no one. Who's looking to buy a boat had heard of this brand it's has no name recognition. This meant it sat on the market a long time and I was able to get it for an excellent price. So don't rule out the oddballs or orphans they can represent the some of the best deals to be had.
Old 23-03-2017, 07:40   #34

As with car manufacturers who had their bad years (in US late 70s-early 80s, in some other countries for decades) boat builders went through some shaky periods as well. Many boats in the late 70s-early 80s seem to suffer from osmosis, even the better names. But again this not not universal nor the same within even one company run. A small defect in the shipment of that big order of resin or issues with the facility's heating/drying system could have made some boats in the run worse that its siblings. Kind of like the old proverbial advice not to buy a car who's VIN shows a Monday manufacturing date.

Back in the early 90s I owned a Maserati and used to repair it with an Italian born mechanic. Their cars were practically semi-hand made, similar to boats and very dissimilar to say US or Japanese production techniques. The guy used to laugh and tell me that he can easily spot a car manufactured during the time of labor unrest or just before a strike. Unfortunately for that stylish brand there were too many of such times.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 08:31   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
I wouldn't necessarily look at it that way. My current boat is one of 6 made. The earlier models of the same designer and builder had over 300 built. They weren't widely know or considered one of the big guys. However from everything I've seen the build quality was good to great and the materials used were good as well. Now because almost no one. Who's looking to buy a boat had heard of this brand it's has no name recognition. This meant it sat on the market a long time and I was able to get it for an excellent price. So don't rule out the oddballs or orphans they can represent the some of the best deals to be had.
I'll add that 50 hulls built for a particular model doesn't seem to be a niche boat. There are some with hundreds and hundreds built and some with 50ish built and they can both be regarded well and equally recommended with similar accommodations and price.

Six might be a little concerning to me from the perspective of owners groups. But if you read other posts here it's eye-opening to hear the vets talk about hull molds being bought and sold as companies folded or were bought.

Right now I just want to get out on the water.
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 07:13   #36

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
...don't rule out the oddballs...they can represent ...some of the best deals to be had.
Funny, that's what my wife said about me...
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 07:45   #37

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
Funny, that's what my wife said about me...
Lol mine too!

Tags
boat, history, sail, sailboat