Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2018, 17:59   #31

Boat: Cross 39
Re: Sailboat design for fishing

The boat that started me thinking more seriously about compromising between sailing and fishing has come up for sale:

https://www.usedvictoria.com/classif...ailer_32256132

Now at least I know what she is. Locally built and spent some time as a commercial salmon troller off the west coast. The fish hold is larger than I'd ever fill with fish but at least the amount of ice it'd hold would have substantial thermal mass to stay colder longer. She has a well at the stern to stand in and fish from, providing some stability versus being on deck.
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 18:41   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
All ideas welcome.

The type of fishing I'm interested in is a few days spent offshore each year loading up on small (~7-15 kg/15-30lb) fish.

Ideally, the boat would:

-Be no larger than ~10m/35ft

-Be a platform conducive to fishing by being relatively clear on the stern allowing two people to fish with multiple lines (hand lines and rod/reels) and with space to bring multiple fish on deck at once without having to worry about them bouncing off if left unattended. Bringing fish into the cockpit isn't ideal since the blood and mucus would clog the drains.

-Have relatively easy access to coolers (removable, like Igloo rectangular coolers or collapsible kill bags) that preferably aren't stored in the galley or salon. A few hundred litres of cooler space is required.

-living quarters of at least 1 sleeping berth, simple galley, simple head.

I am mostly only familiar with smaller monohull sailboats and the time I've spent walking the docks hasn't produced any revelations about what type of sailing vessel I'm looking for. Aft deck of sailboats are often crowded with life rings, dinghy, stanchions, radar and solar towers, etc...and access to holds big enough to stow a few hundred pounds of ice are awkward at best.

Center cockpit boats have potential although I'm not aware of any that have easy external access to the aft cabin (assuming the aft cabin was where I'd stow my fish/ice).

(Pilot house style or ability to fit a hard dodger would be a bonus, but I'll pencil that on to the 'wish list'.)
I would then be looking at a spencer 35 or personally a 42 .
I had a spencer s42 sloop the deck drains were big enough that some blood and slime never clogged them and the lazzerette was huge and could easily be converted to a fish hold.
https://seattle.boatshed.com/spencer_42-b
This was mine
Old 13-10-2018, 19:20   #33

Boat: Cross 39

Thanks Newhaul. That link doesn't give me information but I looked at others that google brought up and they seem simple enough at the stern to allow for fishing. Sufficient deck drains are a definite consideration. My little C&C drains alarmingly slow and I've often wondered how I would improve them. Do you think that a ton (literally) of fish and ice in one lazerette would cause the boat to list that side?
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 19:55   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
Thanks Newhaul. That link doesn't give me information but I looked at others that google brought up and they seem simple enough at the stern to allow for fishing. Sufficient deck drains are a definite consideration. My little C&C drains alarmingly slow and I've often wondered how I would improve them. Do you think that a ton (literally) of fish and ice in one lazerette would cause the boat to list that side?
glad to help and as to that exact vessel I still own the la Ruina . She is under contract to another member here . She is currently wintered in Pt Townsend.

Tags
boat, fish, fishing, sail, sailboat