Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2020, 21:02   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Sail VS Power

I've just transitioned from Power to sail. I know most people go the other way. Here are some thoughts.

1. I went with a large floating "condo" for several reasons. But still had numerous adjustments.

Claustrophobic, don't enjoy cooking, or eating at 45 degs, a bad habit i picked up power boating is expecting the boat to stay flat.

2. Power, My "power" boat had 12v, and 120vac outlets everywhere. The sailboats i've seen were lucky to have a single 12v at the helm, the rest of the boat? forget about it. 120vac? what is this a power boat?

First day on the boat, got Home Depot, and pick up a box of weatherproof, sealed outlet boxes, and GFCI outlets. put one in each cabin, and salon, and engine room, and one in cockpit with waterproof cover. ( I got to plug in the margarita machine somewhere.)

Added inverter, and switch to generator. The boat already had a generator, but with few 120vac appliances, and zero outlets, I'm clueless why.

Showers, Most larger power boats have a seperate, walk in shower. with a shower sump operated by float switch, hot water heater run by generator, or engine, pressure water system. taking a shower is just like home, complete with steam, and bubbles.

Sailboat, sit on head, in a crampted tiny head, and shower with the sink fawcett. NO GO. Hundreds of sailboats later, in the price range a full shower is standard in power boats, I got my tiny sardine can walk in shower as an expensive upgrade.

The sump, you have to hold a button to keep from flooding the head area. Why not use a float? do switches not work under sail, or does the 15ma drain the batteries too fast? Day 2 on the sailboat, drive to West Marine, buy a $20 float switch, wire to pump.

In a power boat, I understand, you fill up the water tanks the same time you fill up the fuel. In a sailboat, I have a watermaker, and on a long crossing carry a couple extra fuel cans marked watermaker overhead for generator. Problem solved. Also extra solar.

Stove on power boats? Electric. Sailboats gas, ...if you are lucky. many are alcohol, or some weird campstove fuel, like what you would use to cross the Himalayas. I get this also. Electric stoves use a lot of juice, it's cheaper to just burn something. The gas stove heats up the cabin so much, I just use the gas BBQ on the rail anyway.

So far what I've seen is. A large power yacht is like a luxurious RV, a sailboat more like a tent trailer....and about as fast.

It is nice to be able to move without 90DB's of twin engines fully wound up screaming in your ear.

I get the history of sailboating, but in this century, there are things, like autoflush toilets, that could be easily, and cheaply added to the sailboat world without tipping the power consumption, or breaking the bank.

On a $500,000 sailboat, you would think the manufacturer could squeeze in a $500 toilet upgrade, or a few plug ins. ( Cost to wire some in, $7)

Electric toilets on power boat, Vacuflush system. Sailboat electric macerator pump, instead of a hand crank. Why?

Salt water flush, see watermaker comment above. Seriously? at least put in a Y valve so I have a choice on whether to do my bodily functions in a bowl of dying, miserable sea creatures.

I get it on a passage, but half the time, I'm at dock, or anchored, and the stink of dying creatures outdoes my OWN.

IN short, I'm still adapting. Sailing is a different world. Maybe each world can learn from the other.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 21:16   #2

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: Sail VS Power

you'll find catamarans tend to be fitted out more like a power boat (and behave more like one too) than monos

of course whether this is a good thing or not is open to debate...but you can tell which side i come down on by our boat.

anyway, glad you have come over from the dark side. you will know that you are truly a sail boat guy when you find yourself shouting curses at some inconsiderate stink boat driver for throwing enormous wake through the anchorage

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 21:27   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
:

Showers, Most larger power boats have a seperate, walk in shower. with a shower sump operated by float switch, hot water heater run by generator, or engine, pressure water system. taking a shower is just like home, complete with steam, and bubbles.

Even better is bathroom and all sinks above decks, gravity feed straight over the side.

Quote:
Stove on power boats? Electric. Sailboats gas, ...if you are lucky. many are alcohol, or some weird campstove fuel, like what you would use to cross the Himalayas. I get this also. Electric stoves use a lot of juice, it's cheaper to just burn something. The gas stove heats up the cabin so much, I just use the gas BBQ on the rail anyway.
Gas stove inside and prefer it
Bugger having to fire up the genset to cook.

Quote:

It is nice to be able to move without 90DB's of twin engines fully wound up screaming in your ear.
Slow spinning single engined.
At cruising speed she's a barely noticeable low throb that lulls my wife to sleep on passage.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 22:15   #4

What made you change if you find so many things unsuitable?
Old 25-02-2020, 23:03   #5

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
So far what I've seen is. A large power yacht is like a luxurious RV, a sailboat more like a tent trailer....and about as fast.
The sole advantage of a sailboat over a power yacht is an ability to cross oceans. If you don’t need that ability, you don’t need a sailboat. Having said that, I do have all creature comforts, and then some, on my sailboat that you complain about. Starting with 110/12/USB power everywhere, to walk-in shower, to Raritan Marine Elegance toilet. Had an option to order an induction cooktop, but passed in favor of a 3-burner propane. Have no idea what your problem is.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 01:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The sole advantage of a sailboat over a power yacht is an ability to cross oceans..
Obviously you gave that comment no thought whatsoever.
Old 26-02-2020, 03:00   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Yep, pretty much it for many thousands of yacht cruising across the globe, apart from the fact a trailer tent does 60mph to windward, not 5 knots.

However, there is something delightfully simple about a manual flushing loo going over the side, in an appropriate area offshore. All those electrical gadgets, systems and wiring, well when things start to go wrong at sea or in some foreign country were you don't speak the lingo

Two years ago we moored on a mid river pontoon with a rather nice 52ft Sunseeker on the other side. Chatting to the owner he asked if could I hear his genny running? What genny I replied. A very faint gurgling sound turned out to be a 17kva genny running all the time just to run the boat with heating, air con and cooking entertainment etc. He asked me about our solar panels. I explained that the 150w plus the 30w ran the whole boat in good sunshine. We were both happy with our choices.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 06:52   #8

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Obviously you gave that comment no thought whatsoever.
You are as far from truth as one can be. I have thought about it almost daily for at least five years.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 07:18   #9

Sounds like you bought an under equipped boat.

You had a dock queen and needed one with a mast.

The OP must be trolling.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 07:21   #10

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

To answer the question of why? I'm sure the sailboaters know already, but being able to cross an ocean. Not being chained to a 100 mile radius of a fuel dock. Never running out of gas. The simple elegance of drifting with the wind,....on purpose.

A few other things I forgot to mention.

Lifelines. Every power boat has nice, solid, stainless steel piping down the sides. Every sailboat I've seen, including mine, a thin wire held up be flimsy posts. Why? weight? Wind resistance? Spare rigging wire conveniently wrapped around the boat?

Thanks for the replies. Life is a journey.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 07:28   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Lifelines. Every power boat has nice, solid, stainless steel piping down the sides. Every sailboat I've seen, including mine, a thin wire held up be flimsy posts. Why? weight? Wind resistance? Spare rigging wire conveniently wrapped around the boat?
That one isn't a power vs sail thing entirely. My (power) boat has stainless rails across the stanchion tops at the bow and stern, but along the side decks it's stainless stanchions with 2 levels of life lines, similar to what a lot of sailboats use.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 07:31   #12

Don't say that cruising is like camping. You'll upset some folks here.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 07:35   #13

These guys circumnavigated in a 35-foot catamaran, then bought a 43-foot monohull, and are now cruising the Caribbean in a 42-foot trawler.

Decent article on their take between the three different types of boat including general compare of costs. Author is a pretty good writer to boot!

https://www.bumfuzzle.com/trawler-vs-sail/

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 08:18   #14

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
You are as far from truth as one can be. I have thought about it almost daily for at least five years.
I have to agree with @Lost Horizons here and I have thought about it a lot as well. Day sailing can get boring pretty fast... yes, moving along silently with the wind is great but this is offset by having to pick a day with the right wind which is not always possible.

Everything else is better on a motor boat, not only because you have more space and more amenities but also because the sales volume is 10x bigger, so you get more value due to competition and economies of scale.

However, and this is really important, the capability to cross oceans (even if you never do) adds to the enjoinment of a sailboat tremendously.

Regarding the OP's statement, you can outfit any boat any way it pleases you and most of the things you wished to have you can either retrofit yourself or buy a better equipped boat. One of the key issues with boats in general is the size of the head and shower area. Newer boats have addressed this. Personally, I still do not get the obsession people have with having a large space for an activity that takes only a few minutes a every but one of the genders (my daughter vs. my son) seems very particular about it.

Enjoy being on the water, either way.
SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 12:09   #15

Quote:
You seriously believe powered vessels can't cross oceans?
They do it all the time.

Tags
grass, sail