Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 16:49   #136
cruiser

Re: Sahara Desert Snow Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is what the science is telling us; the A is a “significant” contributor to the GW (I use “significant” in the scientific sense, not the vernacular). What is uncertain is how significant, or rather at what scale.

This has been my only real response; to lower my own impact on this planet. In the end we only control ourselves and what we do. I choose a lower impact life, in part, in response to the broad range of environmental issues I see around me (of which GW only one, and not necessarily the most prominent).

Personally, I believe the best response is for everyone to act individually. If we all cut our resource usage by simply living the way our grandparents did (smaller homes, less stuff, less consumption, less energy usage, etc), we’d do a lot to mitigate many of the environmental issues facing the planet, not just GW.
Mike,

Here's the problem I have with your actions... what's someone like me supposed to do in order to offset your carbon offsets? It's difficult if not impossible for me since I rarely drive a car (I'm car-less for half the year), my home and business are solar powered, I live on a boat six month per year and I ride a bicycle everywhere.

Aren't you guys up in Canada freezing your asses off right about now.... or are you burning some sort of carbon emitting product to heat your place? If so, please crank it up baby!

Oh jeez, I just looked at my video surveillance monitor... it's snowing again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	138657  
Old 29-12-2016, 17:10   #137

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Here's the problem I have with your actions... what's someone like me supposed to do in order to offset your carbon offsets? It's difficult if not impossible for me since I rarely drive a car (I'm car-less for half the year), my home and business are solar powered, I live on a boat six month per year and I ride a bicycle everywhere.
I think we’ve danced this dance already Ken. I believe I said then, and will say now, that if everyone followed your lead we’d all be far better off.

And perhaps that’s the real point. As you keep telling us, it’s not that hard to live the way you live. You live well, and with a much smaller impact than most. If we all embraced this approach we’d solve many of the issues we face as a planetary species; not just GW.
Old 29-12-2016, 17:24   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

People.

The thread was started as an exercise in patience for the CF team and thus far its steered away from CF topics at a fast rate.

Nearly time to wrap it up and get back to boating before the expected for war breaks out...

Old 29-12-2016, 17:24   #139
cruiser

Quote:
I think we’ve danced this dance already Ken. I believe I said then, and will say now, that if everyone followed your lead we’d all be far better off.

And perhaps that’s the real point. As you keep telling us, it’s not that hard to live the way you live. You live well, and with a much smaller impact than most. If we all embraced this approach we’d solve many of the issues we face as a planetary species; not just GW.
Mike, you're missing my point. It's not working... it's still snowing (now two inches just since my last post). CRANK UP THE HEAT!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0861.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	138658  
Old 29-12-2016, 17:26   #140
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
People.

The thread was started as an exercise in patience for the CF team and thus far its steered away from CF topics at a fast rate.

Nearly time to wrap it up and get back to boating before the expected for war breaks out...

We're just having some fun.
Old 29-12-2016, 17:37   #141
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Sorry, 'not going to bite on that stinky rotten bait.

I can loan you a shovel😝

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-12-2016, 18:32   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
The true deniers in this argument are the ones that deny that even if warming is absolutely caused solely by human generation of carbon dioxide there is not a damned thing of any substance we can do about it.
Denial lives on, I see, though its numbers are dwindling. Getting lonely, Reef? As Exile and others have told us, we will "adapt". At a minimum, you WILL be doing exactly that.

Speaking of Exile, it's nice to see you continue to walk your opposition back to higher ground. Though you apparently still enjoy letting off a shot or two over your shoulder.

Kenomac ... nice trolling, as I mentioned. Sorry you're so bored over Christmas.
Old 29-12-2016, 18:43   #143
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Denial lives on, I see, though its numbers are dwindling. Getting lonely, Reef? As Exile and others have told us, we will "adapt". At a minimum, you WILL be doing exactly that.

Speaking of Exile, it's nice to see you continue to walk your opposition back to higher ground. Though you apparently still enjoy letting off a shot or two over your shoulder.

Kenomac ... nice trolling, as I mentioned. Sorry you're so bored over Christmas.
I would actually consider myself a Global Warming advocate or cheerleader... not a "denier." I'm hoping for warmer temperatures.

It just strikes me as very odd, that several Canadians on this forum are rooting for colder temps this time of year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	138662  
Old 29-12-2016, 18:51   #144
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I can loan you a shovel��
No thanks, I'll use our Bobcat diesel skidsteer in the morning.
Old 29-12-2016, 19:00   #145

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Mike, you're missing my point. It's not working... it's still snowing (now two inches just since my last post). CRANK UP THE HEAT!
You forgot the , or at least the .
Old 29-12-2016, 19:19   #146

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I like the warm weather so I don't mind at all.

Now the same experts that say it's caused by man also say the planet can only support one billion people. There are over 6 billion people now so we need to get rid of over 5 billion. Where should we start?
Old 29-12-2016, 19:32   #147

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
I would actually consider myself a Global Warming advocate or cheerleader... not a "denier." I'm hoping for warmer temperatures.

It just strikes me as very odd, that several Canadians on this forum are rooting for colder temps this time of year.
You really have to lack any sense of humor whatsoever not to appreciate Ken's posts.

Quote:
Personally, I believe the best response is for everyone to act individually. If we all cut our resource usage by simply living the way our grandparents did (smaller homes, less stuff, less consumption, less energy usage, etc), we’d do a lot to mitigate many of the environmental issues facing the planet, not just GW.
All true, and that much more credible from a guy who lives his convictions. Various & sundry quibbles between us aside, a credible advocate for CC and other important environmental causes, whether one agrees or not. I hope you and yours are now living aboard, but not currently freezing your asses off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

And then just when things were getting civil again, there goes the neighborhood. The know-it-all who's never ventured beyond the safe space; the all-too-comfortable fossil fuel consumer who lacks the courage of his convictions; the consummate troll who accuses everyone else of trolling; the walking poster boy for why parents should not be allowed to keep their kids on their health insurance until age 26.

Think it's best to bag out before I give our friendly Doc Weav any more work to do. All the best to everyone over the new year.

May the breeze be fresh and a fair one.

May your life be long and a good one.

May your death be easy and a quick one.

May your beer be cold,

Let's have another one.
Old 29-12-2016, 20:06   #148

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You really have to lack any sense of humor whatsoever not to appreciate Ken's posts.
I guess I don't get his humor. If he was on the AGW side and being sarcastic, I guess it would be a little bit humorous to some. But instead, he's gone so far the other direction, who knows what he thinks? Based on previous post on other subjects, his views are pretty hardline... I don't think he's joking.

Matt
Old 29-12-2016, 20:55   #149

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I like the warm weather so I don't mind at all.

Now the same experts that say it's caused by man also say the planet can only support one billion people. There are over 6 billion people now so we need to get rid of over 5 billion. Where should we start?
stuck in the late 90's?

1999 --> 6,000,000,000
2016 --> 7,400,000,000
Old 30-12-2016, 00:21   #150

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
stuck in the late 90's?

1999 --> 6,000,000,000
2016 --> 7,400,000,000
The estimates are are all over the place but if it's 7.4 billion we just need to work a little harder. Lets start by eliminating all humanitarian aid. We can solve the health care problem by eliminating treatments over a certain dollar amount----or just go ahead and eliminate all treatment since we have to be concerned with that additional 1.4 billion.
I know you libs think "if we just convince the old white men it's true" the problem will go away. It won't any more than pissing on a forest fire will put it out. No one is willing to solve the problem but it will solve itself. Sure, it will get ugly, countries will go to war over it, and 6.4 billion or more will die. Mankind will go on afterwards. It won't happen in my lifetime so I really don't care.
Closed Thread