Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2022, 07:00   #1

Boat: 1980 Cal 39
Sacrificial anodes going way too fast

I just replaced the zinc anodes on my prop shaft just over 2 months ago. Had to pull the boat out of the water again this week to address some issues with through hulls. I was shocked to see how much the anodes have been eaten up already!
Question
Is there a sequential checklist of things to check in order to isolate what’s causing this high rate of electrolysis?
My CAL 39 had three anodes on the prop shaft so I replaced all three. I noticed that it is the anode closest to the prop that’s wearing the most if that indicates anything. Also, since my boat has been anchored in Biscayne Bay for 6 weeks of that time and traveling the rest of time it can’t be any neighboring boats causing the problem, it’s internal.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Cap Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 03:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Re: Sacrificial anodes going way too fast

We're you anchored near any docks? If so, I would suspect the culprit is shore power leakage.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 05:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

If you've got that kind of risk I recommend purchaase and use of a silver reference electrode. You hang it over the side and connect your voltmeter between it and the boat's ground. Look for 1.0 volts or so to know that your anodes are still working.

Is your prop shaft bonded into the system?

Is the bonding being used as a conductor?

https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html
Old 26-03-2022, 06:15   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
If you've got that kind of risk I recommend purchaase and use of a silver reference electrode. You hang it over the side and connect your voltmeter between it and the boat's ground. Look for 1.0 volts or so to know that your anodes are still working.

Is your prop shaft bonded into the system?

Is the bonding being used as a conductor?

https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html
This is the only answer whether done by yourself or by an ABYC Certified Marine Corrosion tech who will already have and understand the equipment and what else to look for.

It is extremely unlikely that another boat is the issue, theoretically possible but I've never seen such a case. You are not suffering from "electrolysis", that's a process that does not occur on boats and is simply "docktalk" by the uneducated.

PS. I am a retired Certified Marine Corrosion tech.
Old 26-03-2022, 06:31   #5

MichaelD

I’ve been anchored miles away from any docks the entire time.
Old 26-03-2022, 06:37   #6

Tkeithlu,
You’ll have to pardon my lack of knowledge of electrical engineering terms. I’m not certain what the term bonded means but I will say that there is a small metal plate resting on the prop shaft which is wired. I can’t remember what the other end of the wire is connected to but will check today when I visit the boat.
Old 26-03-2022, 06:47   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Morgan View Post
Tkeithlu,
You’ll have to pardon my lack of knowledge of electrical engineering terms. I’m not certain what the term bonded means but I will say that there is a small metal plate resting on the prop shaft which is wired.
Photo ? Sounds like part of a bonding system.
If bonding system is improper or compromised it could be the issue.
You need a pro, you don't have the knowlege to track this down and you are not going to gain
that skill here, it is way too complex for a forum
Old 26-03-2022, 07:40   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Whatever is going on, it isn’t electrolysis. Electrolysis is a something that happens to the water in which the boat sits, not the underwater metals in question.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 08:43   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Cap Morgan,

Do you have a working galvanic isolator? I had the same issue years ago and added the isolator which solved the problem.

Capt Clark
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 09:17   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Clark View Post
Cap Morgan,

Do you have a working galvanic isolator? I had the same issue years ago and added the isolator which solved the problem.

Capt Clark
A galvanic isolator prevents low current DC leaving or entering the vessel via the shore power cord ground. The OP is at anchor so a GI would have no effect.
Old 26-03-2022, 10:18   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

If you cannot find a certified corrosion tech and need to persue this yourself, then along with the previously referenced corrosion reference electrode, [and a decent multimeter] read The Boatowner's Guide to Corrosion by Collier.

I'm no expert, but feel I have gained a much better understanding of how to diagnose and mitigate issues as you describe, along with other corrosion issues we boat owners are all familiar with.

Best wishes resolving things.

Cheers! Bill
Old 26-03-2022, 10:24   #12

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
I will say that there is a small metal plate resting on the prop shaft which is wired.
They were used as a "brush" in order to create a low resistance path to the water as sometimes the oil-filled gearbox can render a high resistance path to ground from the engine.
Bonding schemes are not a panacea/band-aid for other problems; indeed, they have the potential to create their own "battery" or galvanic cell.
When you connect steel tanks, aluminum tanks, stainless tanks, metallic objects/housings, engines, seacocks, keel bolts, mast steps, chainplates, rigging, etc. all together, and then slap on some zincs and add salt water, you have, (in effect,) created a "pea soup" of all kinds of various potentials just waiting for some currant leakage into the system that can lead to the scenario you speak of.
The idea that electricity follows the path of least resistance is false, it divides its flow according to the various resistances, (resistors in parallel).
I would hazard a guess that somewhere/somehow there is some currant leakage into the bonding system from the boats DC system.
A galvanic isolator can help, (block DC/pass AC,) but if there is some leakage elsewhere the isolator is effectively bypassed and does no good.
Questions, are there any 12V sending units in tanks for measuring fluid levels?
A bilge pump float-switch connection that's wet?
Perhaps a "leaky" diode on an alternator?
Bowdrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 16:16   #13

Definitely sounds like I need to consult a Pro. As I won’t be able to get one while in the boatyard will be interesting to see if I can find one that will travel to the boat in my Dinghy.
Old 26-03-2022, 16:48   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Capn' Morgan. I had this issue while at our dock in Pompano. The guy across the canal sold the house. A new owner came in and reworked the dock. My problem went away. I have no other suggestions. Good luck. BTW, we'll be in your area at the end of April for the Miami to Key Largo Race, sponsored by the Miami Yacht Club. It's a lot of fun.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 17:49   #15

Boat: Sabre 34II

Quote:
Definitely sounds like I need to consult a Pro. As I won’t be able to get one while in the boatyard will be interesting to see if I can find one that will travel to the boat in my Dinghy.
Before you hire a pro I suggest you do a lot of reading yourself and learn to use a multimeter, you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to diagnose simple to fix issues in a systematic way, you can start by reading the above mentioned book. Most pros that I have come across wanted to sell me something and weren’t interested in diagnosing old problems, they may also spend hours doing things that you can do yourself with some knowledge, believe me, it will go a long way.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote