Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2018, 13:41   #61

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Ryobi vs Yamaha vs Honda 2000 watt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
I evaluated the Honda and the Ryobi. With the superior price point and better warranty the Ryobi was an easy choice. Had it for three years now. Fantastic unit!

I am so glad I didn't pay the extra for the Honda!
I agree that the price is high but there are few products on the market with a better reputation than these little Hondas. In addition, I've read a bunch of reviews where the Honda will run air conditioners that other generators will not. Also, the Honda comes with a 3 year warranty.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 13:49   #62
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

From Amazon's reviews:

'
Top critical review

See all 21 critical reviews›

180 people found this helpful

3.0 out of 5 stars
Decent genset but you get what you pay for
ByChuckie Gon March 7, 2014

First off, this is not a Honda or Yamaha. It is an inexpensive Chinese rebadged generator. Which is fine for what it is and the price. But don't buy this and think you're getting a deal.

The engine is made by Topsun which is in several lines of generators like this. if you pull the parts list on the ryobi website, you'll see that you can buy all parts for the gennie EXCEPT for engine parts. "

That was my first acquaintance with Ryobi and one reason I stay away from them. No parts, just go a new whatever it is. Totally unconcerned with traditional customer service values.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 13:55   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Interesting post..I don't know diddely squat about small gensets so I don't have an opinion but Yamaha builds one of the best 2 stroke outboards known to man, it's the number 1 choice for experienced world sailors as maintenance and parts are available anywhere. It's also tops with fishermen..It's simply beats everything else out there.
That is somewhat of a broad statement. I have no dog in the fight.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 14:43   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That is somewhat of a broad statement. I have no dog in the fight.
I didn't say in North America because that's 4 cycle country with all sorts of makes and models but for cruisers off the beaten path and especially 3rd world countries, Yamaha owns this market.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 14:59   #65

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Imo, operating sound levels are a critical feature. The specs might show only a couple of dB difference but this can be somewhat significant in actual use. Honda leads (or at least, used to lead) the field in this department.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 04:46   #66
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Nope, several secondary brands have figured out how to be just as quiet as the Hondas. Obviously newer smaller inverter units only.

The premium is worth it to me (or not for others) solely based on reliability longevity and repairability.

Saving a few hundred for one that lasts half as long is not for me, but up to you.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 04:58   #67

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Like my Honda 2000, one big problem easily fixed before the fact. Honda used steel screws for all the covers they rust and have to be drilled if you wait to long. Invest in some SS ones after you get it, it will save you a lot of time and trouble later.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 07:10   #68

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
Like my Honda 2000, one big problem easily fixed before the fact. Honda used steel screws for all the covers they rust and have to be drilled if you wait to long. Invest in some SS ones after you get it, it will save you a lot of time and trouble later.
This is true, same for Kipor as well. I learnt that on the Kipor, couldn't get it apart after a couple of years.

I've purchased two Hondas, both times I removed screws and applied lanolin grease to the threads to prevent this problem.

I originally purchased a 1 kW Kipor as the specs were the same as the Honda I believe but it was cheaper. Although it was meant to be as quiet, it wasn't, it was quiet but the Honda was just little bit quieter again.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 09:51   #69

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I found my Honda 2k on CL for $600. Looked brand new. Started easily, wouldn't hold a load. Cleaned the carb, specifically the main jet, and it has run perfectly for years since.
Modern Honda's blink the light upon startup to show approximate number of hours (100, 200, 300, 400, or 500+).

Yamaha uses a 79cc engine and the Honda uses a 99cc engine. Not sure about the Ryobi and others. It shouldn't be rocket since to know that 25% larger engine doesn't work as hard to hold the same load. I'm guessing this contributes to their longevity.

-Chris
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 22:18   #70

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

https://itechworld.com.au/collection...oducts/redback

My thoughts are, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Anyone have one...... 5kva suitcase generator.
Old 31-03-2018, 23:16   #71

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
https://itechworld.com.au/collection...oducts/redback

My thoughts are, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Anyone have one...... 5kva suitcase generator.
Dunno about that genset, but you can pretty much bet it's a badge engineered generic model. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find the same thing for a good deal cheaper elsewhere ** eBay ** ahem. It also weighs >30 kg and it's continuous rating is 3.6kW

Personally, I'd stick to a Honda or yammie.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:01   #72
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

What is the largest size for the inverter-based design, nice and quiet, clean sine wave power ?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:56   #73
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dave, you missed the best part:
"Use discount code SHOWRB4 to take the price to $1899 and to receive a FREE 120 Watt Folding Solar Panel and a FREE iTECH400A Compact Jump Starter!"
So really, the net price must be around $1600 if you figure the goodies as $100 each.

" It’s powered by a mighty OHC 4-stroke engine providing a maximum 4000W output, while sustaining a constant 3600W with comfort. "

5000KVA aren't 5000W, although that would convert to something like the 4000W maximum rated output. How they'll do that for nine to twelve hours on the built-in fuel tank...I suppose someone should send the paramedics around to Honda, just in case this news gets to them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:12   #74

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
What is the largest size for the inverter-based design, nice and quiet, clean sine wave power ?
That is an excellent question. I wonder if more than two can be paralleled and sync? Honda probably has the answer.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 15:31   #75

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That is an excellent question. I wonder if more than two can be paralleled and sync? Honda probably has the answer.
I've seen a 5kVA machine by Kipor but it's a very large suitcase, more like a trunk! Motor also do dual input single output but I don't know the specs.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda