Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 09:39   #16

Re: Rules

Having visited Australia a number if times, including a three month stay in 1996, it makes me sad to think of how big of a nanny-state it is - easily encountered by even a casual visitor.

Certainly the worst I have visited. It's a shame because it's a really great country otherwise. Surprising, too, giving the history and wildness of the country.

It's a great way to keep people out for sure. I was thinking of emigrating there when I was younger, but realized I don't want to live in a country where they treat me like a child all the time.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

When I first saw this thread, right when it was initially posted, the thought that I had was "what gives them the right to treat everyone like criminals, or probable terrorists, when the folks they're surveilling have yet to do thing one wrong". As given that level of monitoring, that's exactly what it amounts to.

Sad really, especially given the perception in the US of Australia's being a pretty free spirited place. Though I'm not a fan of ninny'ism, er, nanny'ism, anywhere. And thanks to computers/internet, it's a lot harder to find places where it isn't present much.

BTW, what's the name of that song? I know/knew it right off, but can't place it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:37   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

Sad really, especially given the perception in the US of Australia's being a pretty free spirited place. Though I'm not a fan of ninny'ism, er, nanny'ism, anywhere. And thanks to computers/internet, it's a lot harder to find places where it isn't present much.

BTW, what's the name of that song? I know/knew it right off, but can't place it.
Its all those Croc Dundee reruns..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
When I first saw this thread, right when it was initially posted, the thought that I had was "what gives them the right to treat everyone like criminals, or probable terrorists, when the folks they're surveilling have yet to do thing one wrong". As given that level of monitoring, that's exactly what it amounts to.

For what it's worth -

Buffalo Springfield
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:04   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Talk View Post
For what it's worth -

Buffalo Springfield
Thanks! And boatman61, yep, you nailed it. Besides who doesn't like tall, gorgeous, witty blondes? Linda Kozlowski in the film I mean.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
That's why I'm never going back.
I'm posting from Coff's Harbour NSW now on holiday. My mate informed me how careful I have to be just driving around. He said that 10kph over the limit and you get busted.....cameras are EVERYWHERE! Around here they have double fine zones ....and the limits are LOW.

The police here also do random alcohol testing a lot....my mate's wife just got pulled over for this just the other day. There are BIG threatening speed camera signs...SPEED and LOSE YOUR LICENCE etc. I'm like, what's been happening here?

I never remembered this from my previous visits to OZ.

Needless to say, I'm being very careful in my rental car.....esp on the drive back from the yacht club.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:32   #22

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I think it's true everywhere. I was in Connecticut a few years ago and was troubleshooting my outboard in a marina, tucked back in a cove way WAY away from the very small and largely deserted channel into the harbor. Started the engine and took a loop out in the cove, about 50 yards, and on my way back a police boat comes tearing up and "pulls me over".

I got a $100 ticket for no life preserver. They asked for my "boater's certificate" and when I told them that I was from Maryland, and grandfathered based on my age they were highly skeptical. Interestingly, showing them my USCG captain's license left them unimpressed and they informed me that they were "overlooking" my lack of a certificate. WTF.
Here's the other side to that story: A few years ago, my wife and I were asleep on our boat in our marina when we heard the sound of a small boat doing circles at high speed. We called the police, thinking it was a typical drunk (it was 3:00 in the morning). Every rescue department within 20 miles showed up and launched.

Well, it turns out the guy had been working on his boat and wanted to try it out. He and his girlfriend and another friend took it to the adjacent boat ramp and launched it. Apparently, he turned it into a circle and went to the stern to make and adjustment. Whatever actually happened, he fell out of the boat. They found his body about a mile away stuck in a bridge piling.

Would you rather have a ticket or a ride to the morgue?
Old 02-01-2017, 11:39   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I'm posting from Coff's Harbour NSW now on holiday. My mate informed me how careful I have to be just driving around. He said that 10kph over the limit and you get busted.....cameras are EVERYWHERE! Around here they have double fine zones ....and the limits are LOW.

The police here also do random alcohol testing a lot....my mate's wife just got pulled over for this just the other day. There are BIG threatening speed camera signs...SPEED and LOSE YOUR LICENCE etc. I'm like, what's been happening here?

Needless to say, I'm being very careful in my rental car.....esp on the drive back from the yacht club.
Double demerits over Christmas to stop the locals from driving around while juiced up to the gills which used to be the norm.

Only 19 or so dead nation wide this festive season Christmas holiday road toll reaches 20

Struth... each state used to be able to beat that back in the good old days.... New Zealand ( with about 20% of Australia's population ) still can
Old 02-01-2017, 11:41   #24

Boat: 83 Tanzer 27

Uncivilized,

The 5 man electric band recorded, "Signs" in 1971 They were from Canada of all places

Ken
Our Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:44   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Pigs bum Queensland will be better.
Well, it was slightly better compared to NSW when I was there, but we had the heavy booted cops on board a few times.

In the 6 months in Australia we were bailed up by police more times than the rest of the 8 years world wide, combined.

Here in the Caribbean you may get a paperwork inspection once every 6 months... but its an area that international boats are flicking between different country islands and drug smugglers working through from South America.

The other thing about northern Australia, above Cairns thru to Darwin is the daily flyover by CoastWatch planes sometimes with a VHF check in. It feels like being watched very carefully by Big Brother. Never have I been buzzed in that manner anywhere else in the world.
I know Australia needs laws and environment is important as in the security of out wet boarder (Australia's "Wall")... but it's a blessed relief to be in places where the laws are few.

I can have a beer or glass of wine on any beach unashamedly, from a unconcealed bottle out of a proper champagne flute, and then jump in the dink for the drive home.

I fail to see why Australians who buy their boat in the Med, USA or Caribbean are in such a hurry to get back home the land of signs, rules and Police harassing non-criminals for having fun.

Mark
You must be a suspicious looking character! In 6 years we've been boarded just once, for a very quick and polite check of safety gear.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post
Yeah, I was also been given lifejacket talk by a "very pleasant" water cop here in Balmain within a few weeks of moving our boat here. I had a life jacket in the dinghy for my 50m row but not on.

Our boat is now registered with AMSA, Qld and NSW to keep everyone happy. And I got my NSW boat licence. All seems very heavy handed after spending 20 years in North America.

We are moving the boat north to my home state of Queensland in April/May. I'm under the impression things are a bit more flexible up there. We'll see.
Dinghy rules are less stringent in Qld. For most uses, dinghies don't need to be registered. And you don't have to wear lifejackets crossing bars unless it's a small boat.

Generally you can anchor where you like, for as long as you like.

Although Mooloolaba has it's own set of rules. And more dickheads per square inch than anywhere else I've ever seen. The rule there seems to be, locals can do whatever they like and everyone else needs to stay out of their way.

John McEnroe
Old 02-01-2017, 11:57   #27

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Talk View Post
For what it's worth -

Buffalo Springfield
Nope!

Our Tyme nailed it...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Nope!

Our Tyme nailed it...

meatservo
You're right! Not sure what I was thinking!
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:12   #29

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

In South Australia I've never yet been pulled up on the water. In fact I've never even seen the water police other than once at a boat ramp checking the fish catch.

We still have the red light cameras & speed cameras on the roads (more for revenue raising than anything else).

We are a bit behind the rest of Australia. Hopefully we can learn from your mistakes.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:19   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post

They make you wear seatbelts too. Takes away our freedom... to fly.

John McEnroe

Tags
rule