Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2012, 17:58   #1

Rookie

Hi all,
I am looking at buying a 22' Catalina because I just purchased a house on a large lake. But I've really only ever sailed a dingy before. I'd love to get into sailing a bigger boat though to be able to take on weekend trips. Realistically how difficult will it be for me to learn to sail this type of boat? Am I way out of my league here?? Any insight will be appreciated.
Thanks!
kniff004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 18:05   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Rookie

G'Day Rookie,

FWIW, oh so many years ago I moved from an O'Day Osprey (15' dinghy) to a Catalina 22, and had no difficulties of any magnitude. The C-22 will seem far more stable and really roomy after dinghy sailing, but nothing much changes in terms of skill requirements.

I'm not one of the CF folks that are always saying "go for it" to novices, but in this case, well, "go for it, mate... no worries"!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 15-05-2012, 18:20   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniff004 View Post
Hi all,
I am looking at buying a 22' Catalina because I just purchased a house on a large lake. But I've really only ever sailed a dingy before. I'd love to get into sailing a bigger boat though to be able to take on weekend trips. Realistically how difficult will it be for me to learn to sail this type of boat? Am I way out of my league here?? Any insight will be appreciated.
Thanks!

The principles are the same, but the boat is probably worth more.

If I were you, I would find a good local sailor to give you a couple of lessons on your new boat. It will handle differently, and some of the equipment will be different. Catalinas make great smaller boats and you're going to have a lot of fun with it, but by getting yourself some lessons on it, you'll get to the fun part sooner.

Also have that person look the boat over and make sure there aren't any significant repairs needed. I know someone who was given a boat. They took it out and sailed around on Tampa Bay, docked the boat and went home. The next day they came down to sail it again, and the mast had fallen down.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 18:37   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Boats bigger than a dinghy are sometimes easier to sail because the responce to wind is often slower and less frantic.
Get a sailor friend to come along, just in case.
Then enjoy the lake.
Old 15-05-2012, 18:41   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Boats bigger than a dinghy are sometimes easier to sail because the responce to wind is often slower and less frantic.
Get a sailor friend to come along, just in case.
Then enjoy the lake.

I agree. Unless the lake is called something like -- oh, Michigan, or maybe Superior -- it will generally be more forgiving sailing than ocean sailing. You're gonna have a blast.

But do get that boat checked out before you buy it, and if this one is a dog keep looking.
Old 15-05-2012, 20:32   #6

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Hello Kniff, I have moved up 2 month ago from a 14 ft Banchee to a similar boat, a 19 ft West Wight Potter. After learning the basics on the dingie I picked up a nice 10 mph wind day and I went for it singlehanded. Couple of hours main only, then couple of hours of sailing under jib only since my banchee did not have a jib. Then both sails up. By then wind picked up considerably and it took me a while to get used to heeling such a bigger boat. Nonetheless it was a smooth transition and I have to say it was actually easier to sail it than the dingie, not to mention tons of fun.......providing the boat is sound, practice rigging it at least once on dry land, pick a nice day and give yourself plenty of room on a lake with no currents and such and you should be fine......and above all think safety and enjoy it...........
rakedfront1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 20:36   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakedfront1 View Post
Hello Kniff, I have moved up 2 month ago from a 14 ft Banchee to a similar boat, a 19 ft West Wight Potter. After learning the basics on the dingie I picked up a nice 10 mph wind day and I went for it singlehanded. Couple of hours main only, then couple of hours of sailing under jib only since my banchee did not have a jib. Then both sails up. By then wind picked up considerably and it took me a while to get used to heeling such a bigger boat. Nonetheless it was a smooth transition and I have to say it was actually easier to sail it than the dingie, not to mention tons of fun.......providing the boat is sound, practice rigging it at least once on dry land, pick a nice day and give yourself plenty of room on a lake with no currents and such and you should be fine......and above all think safety and enjoy it...........

Those Potters are the sweetest looking little boats ...
Old 16-05-2012, 05:38   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I'm in the same camp as Jim Cate. If you're reasonably competent sailing a dinghy, you'll be fine with the 22 footer. Take it in stages and build your confidence. I went from owning a Hobie 16 to an ODay 222 to an Island Packet 380 (not mentioning charter boats), and it all went well.
Old 16-05-2012, 06:22   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I'm in the same camp as Jim Cate. If you're reasonably competent sailing a dinghy, you'll be fine with the 22 footer. Take it in stages and build your confidence. I went from owning a Hobie 16 to an ODay 222 to an Island Packet 380 (not mentioning charter boats), and it all went well.

The Hobie comment reminded me of something. When I was a young adult I used to visit my parents in Fort Lauderdale. I always went to the beach and rented a little Hobie cat, assured the guy that "I knew how to sail." I'd walk it out, climb on, and of course with an east wind, do a broad reach up and down the beach, have a blast and return home thinking "I knew how to sail."

*Anyone* can sail on a broad reach. It's completely intuitive and easy as pie. I really thought I knew how to sail. I really didn't. I was just in easy, forgiving conditions over and over.

i still recommend getting checked out by an experienced sailor once you find that boat.
Old 16-05-2012, 19:54   #10

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful and knowledgable posts! I've come to the right spot for questions. I know a sailor that I plan to have help me out on picking out the boat and I found some adult lessons I can take on lake superior. I think I'll go for it! You only live once right?!
kniff004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 20:05   #11

Boat: WWP 19

I have a WestWightPotter 19, but most, about 75% of my sailing club, has the Catalina 22, and they love it. If I had to do it over again, I would have one too. Many of my club also sail then along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, on weekends and week long cruises.
Old 16-05-2012, 20:17   #12

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

If you have near-average intelligence or more, it's not a big deal. Just sail the darn thing after reading the recreational boating laws/regulations.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote