Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2010, 06:40   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From yesterday's edition of 'Lectronic Latitude, wrapping up the conclusion of the Solo TransPac, comes this picture of the participants. There he is, front row in the blue T-shirt that reads "Save the rail meat" . . .

The Class of 2010 (back, l to r): Gary Gould, Paul Nielsen, George Lythcott, AJ Goldman, Ken Roper, Adam Correa, Max Crittenden; (front l to r): Jeff Lebesch, Adrian Johnson, John Hayward, Ronnie Simpson, and Sam Burns. Al Germain had to fly home but he was there in spirit.
Photo Latitude / LaDonna
© 2010 Latitude 38 Publishing Co., Inc.

To read the rest of the story, go to:

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

TaoJones
Old 13-07-2010, 07:44   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I noted on his web site a big DONATE button, well represented by all the major credit card companies.

For all those panhandlers on the street… I would suggest… you are not aiming high enough.

Create a little Drama… create a little sympathy… and then hold your hand out on the web

Somehow I don’t call that redemption!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 09:16   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I noted on his web site a big DONATE button, well represented by all the major credit card companies.

For all those panhandlers on the street… I would suggest… you are not aiming high enough.

Create a little Drama… create a little sympathy… and then hold your hand out on the web

Somehow I don’t call that redemption!
You're a tough audience
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 19:35   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Not really David I am all for the $50 club as it is addressing the issue in a much more honest way.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 04:45   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Nobody can take away what Ronnie has accomplished, and he has made huge strides in doing so. I too disagree with the paypal situation. Ronnie & I have another disagreement. He claims he lost his boat to a hurricane, and I claim he lost his boat to bad seamanship in a gale. I guess the hurricane story brings in more money than a gale? I wouldn't say he has redeemed himself, but he has at least learned to sail.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 04:58   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
So how much money has Ronnie raised for Hope for the Warriors?
I can't find any mention of him on their website.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 05:03   #22
Eternal Member

That's a good honest question Gord! He should be working his butt off for them. Maybe donate some of his book, or movie earnings! He has huge dreams of becoming famous from all of this..........i2f
Old 17-07-2010, 16:18   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Not really David I am all for the $50 club as it is addressing the issue in a much more honest way.
I must confess that when I first came accross the paypal thing I saw it as a begging button and did not react well - especially when wrapped around a good cause. But nowadays it doesn't bother me so much on principle - dunno why

The $50CC is honest because it's founded on an Ethos

But on a specific Ronnie angle - I don't see that he has anything to redeem himself for. and certainly not to anyone else. He's clearly moved on with his life and that now even includes sailing experiance that few will have.

Still simply lucky he is not dead though
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 18:25   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

But on a specific Ronnie angle - I don't see that he has anything to redeem himself for. and certainly not to anyone else. He's clearly moved on with his life and that now even includes sailing experiance that few will have.

Still simply lucky he is not dead though
Kinda like watching stock car racing. Somebody is going to crash.

He must be a smart cat but seems to be going through his lives faster than most do.

If he is funded he will keep in the race and we get to watch.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 19:52   #25
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
That was funny Therapy.

I rode my motorcycle out to Canyon Lake with Ronnie one Sunday afternoon. That is where he told me of his plans. This was before he found and bought the Bounty II. He planned to put his story on the internet for people to follow, and hoped to make enough money to keep him sailing around the world. He never mentioned becoming famous or becoming rich. He just had a dream, and gave it a go. Hell, he's still going, so must be doing something right.

Really, he's just a kid enjoying different adventures. I doubt he looks beyond his next challenge, and being rich probably wouldn't mean squat to him. He's doing what alot of us wish we were doing. Only, he's young enough to enjoy it. I say go Ronnie. Be careful man!

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 06:03   #26
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
That was funny Therapy.

I rode my motorcycle out to Canyon Lake with Ronnie one Sunday afternoon. That is where he told me of his plans. This was before he found and bought the Bounty II. He planned to put his story on the internet for people to follow, and hoped to make enough money to keep him sailing around the world. He never mentioned becoming famous or becoming rich. He just had a dream, and gave it a go. Hell, he's still going, so must be doing something right.

Really, he's just a kid enjoying different adventures. I doubt he looks beyond his next challenge, and being rich probably wouldn't mean squat to him. He's doing what alot of us wish we were doing. Only, he's young enough to enjoy it. I say go Ronnie. Be careful man!

Ralph
REALLY? Did you not read his comments to me? He is beginning to believe he is famous, and going to get rich from it. He's more like infamous, and living off other's donations. Claiming a hurricane broke his rudder when it was at least 800 miles away. That's a wee bit decietful in my book.......i2f
Old 18-07-2010, 11:35   #27
RTB

I know where the hurricane was, just as you do. These were the conditions as per his website.

I apologize for any misunderstandings in the last post and I plan to clear everything up in this post. The coast guard requested that a merchant ship "Vecchio Bridge" divert to Ron's location. The coast guard report says that the seas were 20 to 30 feet and 35 to 40 knot winds with gusts to 45. With the steering out of commission and Ronnie out of commission the boat was in bad shape. Several times, Ronnie could remember, at least four times the mast of his boat was in the water, however, the boat did not flip. He thought he might be able to tough it out, but feared it could get much worse and he already could not take the sea, loneliness, sickness, anymore

I can't give you what you want. Only Ronnie can. I sent him a message, but he was sailing to Oahu today, and back to SF later in the week. Aren't you leaving Panama in a day or two? I don't see much happening with this.

Also, he does run his site but does not really hang out on forums normally.
Old 18-07-2010, 18:43   #28
Eternal Member

He shows up to get a pat on the back on the forums. All I did was call him out on the hurricane story. He claims a hurricane took out his boat. I pointed out it was a gale. He stuck to the hurricane story, so I posted the track of the hurricane, and his position 800 miles away. Why is everybody afraid of the truth?

It took a hell of a lot of courage to come here, and face his critics, and I backed him 100% It was me that tried to help over a couple of nights while his boat was falling apart.

Good luck posting on an internet forum, i've got big plans in the next few years. Peace.

No, I claimed a hurricane broke my boat. First off, you have no clue how much wind I was in. You weren't there. I was. Secondly, my rudder (and Aries wind vane- ie emergency rudder that everyone conveniently likes to act like I never had both broke). These happened in very severe weather, that was caused by a major category 4 hurricane. So yes, a hurricane broke my boat.

Ronnie's words right here in red. I wasn't there, but I don't think 45 knot gust cause 20-30 ft waves, but I will do a little research. I forget who posted a line out of Ronnie's website where he claimed he survived a hurricane. I rounded Point Conception in 50 plus, and only got 20footers, and I was maybe 3-4 miles offshore only.

Ralph I don't want anything from you, or Ronnie. When I see someone asking for money with deciet. I am going to ask the questions if I can. It was a gale that caused the loss of the boat & nerve of Ronnie.......not a hurricane....huge difference Ralph. I know you know better. You know what a 45 knot gust is. You were standing right next to me when it happened. I know it wasn't an on going storm, but a 45 knot gust is still a 45 knot gust.

Beaufort scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right here at the worst it was a gale, at worst, and it desribes it's potential. A long way from cat4 damage I would say. I know Ronnie is your buddy, and if you want to defend him. Well, that's your business, and I do understand loyalty. It was Ronnie who wanted to challenge the truth I posted, and I am simply accepting that challenge......i2f

Old 18-07-2010, 19:38   #29
RTB

Thank you for the Post John. I'm in the middle here. If you care to have a look, this was my first post on ANY forum. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...one-21221.html

I know your gripe with Ronnie on this. It is unfortunate though, since it all still goes back to his first attempt to sail to Hawaii. Yes, the words may be a less than 100% accurate, but what does it matter? He's been jumped on for alot of what he has said and done. You know I saw the video of his rescue. The sea was big and confused from Norbert, and were not going away for quite awhile. I have not been there, but is this typical tradewinds sailing to Hawaii? Put yourself in his place, 6 months of sailing under your keel in San Diego....it was like a hurricane to him! Maybe that's what he remembers.

It sucks that he just completed the Singlehanded TransPac, but still people rag on him. Whether it is here, at Stuffers, or Sailnet....either he was lucky, or he made it because he was given a good boat, or he still was not ready (even though he just completed his first offshore race).

I know you are an honest man. So am I. My dad always told me not to lie, and whipped my butt if he caught me in one. But hey, in this case I just chuckled and let it slide. It's old news anyway.

He has a boat to get back to San Francisco. I hope that goes well, and he continues to hone his sailing skills and abilities.

And you have 4000+ nautical miles ahead of you. You and Mel be carefull. Enjoy Hawaii once you finally get there!
Old 18-07-2010, 20:53   #30

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
From yesterday's edition of 'Lectronic Latitude, wrapping up the conclusion of the Solo TransPac, comes this picture of the participants. There he is, front row in the blue T-shirt that reads "Save the rail meat" . . .

The Class of 2010 (back, l to r): Gary Gould, Paul Nielsen, George Lythcott, AJ Goldman, Ken Roper, Adam Correa, Max Crittenden; (front l to r): Jeff Lebesch, Adrian Johnson, John Hayward, Ronnie Simpson, and Sam Burns. Al Germain had to fly home but he was there in spirit.
Photo Latitude / LaDonna
© 2010 Latitude 38 Publishing Co., Inc.

To read the rest of the story, go to:

TaoJones

The bloke in the red shirt, back row is Dave King on the Westsail 32, Saraband. His name was omitted from the line-up.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote