Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 19:46   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Rogue Wave Video - Best I Have Seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanton View Post
My understanding was that they arent infinitely long, nor are they particularly fast. I’m under the impression you can watch for one and go around it.
I was hit by a rogue wave from behind once. Running. All of a sudden my bow was straight down. I had to brace myself on the helm to keep from falling into the cabin. I was readying to steer a turn to keep the bow from diving down. Then the wave dropped me back down. Happened too quick for any fear.
Ive also been hit by a tsunami once. They are infinitely long and incredibly fast. No time to react. But there wasnt much energy in it. Felt more like being hit by a sledgehammer.
sorry to tell you but your understanding on rogues is wrong you can't avoid it . If its going to get you it will . But the actual chances are low of getting hit by a real big one . There are regions that are more likely to have them to begin with.
Old 02-04-2019, 16:16   #62

Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:27   #63

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I found crossing the Coral sea when the ocean depth changed, It created rogue waves,

This reminds me of the '79 Fastnert race where a number of yachts were destroyed with a significant loss of life. There is some evidence that there were conditions that were much worse where the depth changed in a manner similar to your situation. The descriptions from the survivors suggest rogue waves may have been factors.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:35   #64

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanton View Post
My understanding was that they arent infinitely long, nor are they particularly fast. I’m under the impression you can watch for one and go around it.
I was hit by a rogue wave from behind once. Running. All of a sudden my bow was straight down. I had to brace myself on the helm to keep from falling into the cabin. I was readying to steer a turn to keep the bow from diving down. Then the wave dropped me back down. Happened too quick for any fear.
Ive also been hit by a tsunami once. They are infinitely long and incredibly fast. No time to react. But there wasnt much energy in it. Felt more like being hit by a sledgehammer.

Newhaul is correct about these misconceptions. I have read of several well seasoned sailors estimating the rogue, breaking wall of water they encountered being from two or three hundred yards wide to as much as six hundred yards wide.

Keep in mind that there are different types of rogue or freak waves. One type is the wall of water that can run for ten or so miles (16 Km) before dissipating. Another type is the three sisters type. The third type is the giant wave that lasts for a minute or less. There is usually no time to get away or get around it.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rogue wave