Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 16:14   #1

Boat: Hunter 37C
Rigid Vang/ Boomkicker

Hello yíall! So I have a question about a boom support upgrade.
Currently I do not have a boom vang and boom is held up with a rope topping lift that runs to its own winch at the mast. I do have a dual sheeting system in place which seems to effectively do a similar task of controlling sail twist/boom lift as a vang.

Well my main sheet winch had a catastrophic failure that luckily didnít hurt anyone and happened while in my home anchorage.
This has got me thinking about having a backup main halyard in case something similar renders the main halyard unusable. Obvious choice is to repurpose the topping lift with a boom support/rigid vang. I also get it will help with reefing and thatís a big plus.

Question is about the Garhauer rigid boom vang vs the Seoladair Boomkicker. These are the only two systems I can afford that are also very well reviewed. The garhauer is about $100 more expensive but it does have a built in soft vang and isnít just a boom support like the Boomkicker ( although Iím pretty sure I have all the blocks needed to make my own soft vang if I decide to go the Boomkicker route and would just need to purchase line.)

Does anyone have an opinion on which is a more prudent upgrade?
With dual sheeting is there any reason to have a vang to help with sail trim? (I will NEVER be racing and sail slow and steady but I do want to be efficient)
The Boomkicker seems to have more stroke range at up to 16in vs 8-12in. I get in theory this relates to how high the boom can lift but in practice I have no idea what that translates to in lift at the end of the boom. Are both more than adequate?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 18:00   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: Rigid Vang/ Boomkicker

I bought a boom kicker because they were the least expensive. Would not do that again.

The biggest issue is that they will only support the weight of the boom and main. When you want to furl the main, most people tend to lean on the boom. The boom kicker will not support this and you tend to fall.

Go with the Garhauer, it is a good piece of kit!
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 04:28   #3

Boat: Adams 28, 8.7m

I had a topping lift and vang for a few years. Changed to a gas strut with vang
but found it to be lazy and it needed a kick in the guts to wake up! Now have a Barton Boom strut with a vang. After a few short trips I wonder why anyone would bother with any other system. It is perfection !
Patrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 15:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
I bought a boom kicker because they were the least expensive. Would not do that again.

The biggest issue is that they will only support the weight of the boom and main. When you want to furl the main, most people tend to lean on the boom. The boom kicker will not support this and you tend to fall.

Go with the Garhauer, it is a good piece of kit!

Thatís good info about a potential major issue.
When you say it wouldnít support a person leaning does this mean the boom would come crashing to the cabin top or whatever it hits first?

I do have lazy jacks and a stack pack so I wonít necessarily have to furl the main but frequently lean on the boom and use it for balance when going forward.
It would certainly suck to have the system give out unexpectedly.
Old 24-01-2021, 16:02   #5

Boat: Adams 28, 8.7m

As an addition to my post above, I have a boom gallows, so my Barton Boom Strut never takes more load than boom and sail. I see the point made and agree with it, but to me a boom gallows is something I would not be without. I also have a stackpack and lazy jacks.
Patrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 16:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrigo View Post
I had a topping lift and vang for a few years. Changed to a gas strut with vang

but found it to be lazy and it needed a kick in the guts to wake up! Now have a Barton Boom strut with a vang. After a few short trips I wonder why anyone would bother with any other system. It is perfection !

Looks like your boom strut is the same as the Boomkicker. Commonwealth vs USA version.

No issue with leaning on the boom as a previous post mentioned?
Old 24-01-2021, 16:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrigo View Post
As an addition to my post above, I have a boom gallows, so my Barton Boom Strut never takes more load than boom and sail. I see the point made and agree with it, but to me a boom gallows is something I would not be without. I also have a stackpack and lazy jacks.

Tags
kicker