Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2010, 15:29   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Rigging a Storm Jib on the Baby Stay ?

One of the boats I am looking at is for sure no cutter, but has a baby stay between the fore-stay and mast.

I was thinking I could get a used heavy jib from a smaller boat to use in heavy wind hanked onto the baby stay.

Anyone ever do this, or think it will/won't work?

If the baby stay can help support the rig, then it should be able to support another smaller sail. Right?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 15:32   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
maybe tell us what the rig and boat are. Im guessing fractional rig maybe has running backs?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 15:52   #3

Boat: Brewer 44
The one is question is the custom cruiser I am trying to acquire, mast head rig, with running backstays, but the running backstays don't get used.

Being able to rig the storm jib as such won't affect my decision, just nice to know I have the option.

Hopefully taking the owner to lunch in a week or two and striking up a deal.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 16:02   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
It looks like the running backs go to the mast head. Can't tell for sure. My guess is you would need support at the point the baby stay connects. Not sure why you wouldn't use the running backs if they were designed into the rig. The baby stay is there to help bend the mast at its upper reaches. If it were supporting a sail you would want to check the attachment points too
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 19:46   #5

Boat: Outbound 44
I'd go back to the mast manufacturer and ask them about putting in an inner stay, maybe a synthetic like Colligio Dynex Dux. This is a tall, triple spreader rig. It has a ton of engineering into its design, you might as well tap the designers knowledge on it.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 08:56   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Unless there are shrouds at the point where the baby stay is attached, you should definitely not use it for a storm jib. I agree with the suggestion of contacting the manufacturer of the boat and/or spar about converting to a 'solent rig' with detachable inner stay. While there are huge advantages to the Solent rig for offshore sailing, understand that the cost of engineering/installing new chainplates, new tangs, a new halyard, new tracks/blocks for the sheets etc. could end up being pretty frightening.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 09:46   #7

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Id go with a removabal inter stay not a baby stay....a baby stay is not forward of the mast enough and not intended to fly a sail off of...but instead as sabray says just to shape the mast...It also looks like that crows nest would be in the way...I guess you could go below it maybe....but yes you will need running backs where ever you attach to the mast for support or you wast will pump something awful....I think finding a usable jib from a small boat is quite possible..but in actuality a storm jib is only a couple hundred bucks...purpose built heaver for the job and matched to your boat....so why bother?

Here is where I got mine.. http://www.kellyhansonsails.com/apps...category/47201

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 10:05   #8

The boat looks to have a relatively small foretriangle, so I don't see why a storm jib can't be flown from the forestay. And I definitely would not fly a sail from the babystay, unless the mast designer says it's a good idea, and I doubt very much they would say that.

Cutters are designed from the ground up as cutters, and I don't think it's a good idea to try to convert a sloop to a cutter without a substantial redesign of the rig. For example in this case, you could add a bowsprit to enlarge the foretriangle, add a proper staysail stay and also the necessary running backs.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 12:58   #9

Boat: Trismus 37
If you are going to alter the rig to accommodate an inner stay the easiest in terms of the strength of what you already have is a Solent stay as it will use the existing back stay, it doesn't require extra runners.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 13:18   #10

I don't believe adding a Inter stay is really trying to convert any boat to anything...no more then adding a separate track to a mast for a storm tri sail.

It will involve some engineering considerations but any competent rigger or mast manufacturer can suggest how to go about it...Its all been done many times before.

IMHO... In the OP's particular boat I don't think a solvent stay would be of much benefit just for a storm sail rig due to the height of the rig and the small fore triangle....as was mentioned you might as well fly a storm sail as is on the fore stay as is... as your angel will not be reduced much compared to a shorter rigs solent would be....The idea is to get the center of effort down and back...I see no reason this rig could not support a inter stay at the second spreader...once the crows nest is removed with running backs...Its not like your going to be tacking all the time in that situation.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 25-10-2010, 14:14   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Here is where I got mine.. Kelly-Hanson Sails

OT, but how do you like the Kelly Hanson storm sail? Does it seem like it was well made? I just saw them a few days ago, and was thinking of ordering one soon.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 15:31   #12

Well I cant give you an honest answer there... I haven't even opened the box and I have had it now for over a year now..I bought my Hayfield lever from Skipper John ( A member here and a super guy ) about the same time...my Boats been in the yard for 2 years ...It could be full of sawdust or made out of bed sheets for all I know

You cant beat there advertised guarantee though!...Im hoping if I don't open it they will still honer that for me..but I dont expect any issues with the sail in the fist place if not.

Old 25-10-2010, 16:50   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
If there are stays at the same mast height (or very nearly at the same height) to balance the pull of the sail then you can try - just keep eye on how the mast works under load.

I know at least one boat that uses the baby stay to fly a sort of a storm jib (Laurin 32).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, storm jib